• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action One Piece Series' 2nd Season Unveils More Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D.E.D.E

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:24 pm Reply with quote
funkfoot wrote:
Rosikota wrote:
According to Oda, the creator, he believed if Nami was real she'd be Swedish. So, either way, Oda intended for her to be white in a case like this.

A bit interesting you assume Swedish means white by default.

Tell me, what race do you think of when you think of "German", because that was the country he associated with Zoro.

This is literally false. In the same SBS (SBS 52) that confirmed Nami as ‘Swedish’ he confirmed Zoro as Japanese. Anyone who read the manga would know this as well given his origins. It literally doesn’t take much to do a quick google search on this.
will.babe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:33 pm Reply with quote
ok guys don't fight. on another note, Smoker's actor is really sexy
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to seeing them in costume.
Nodz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:10 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
We’re getting closer and closer to that Vivi casting.

Yes! Very Happy And Nico Robin, Kureha and Igaram! (I really want to know who will be Crocodile and Bon Kurei)
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:49 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
We’re getting closer and closer to that Vivi casting.

Same. So excited to see who we get for her, Robin, Ace, Crocodile, Bon Clay, etc... not to mention whatever they decide to do for Chopper haha

I know there have been a lot of rumors surrounding one of the Bridgerton actresses (the younger Sharma sister in S2) as Vivi, but obv you can only take those with a grain of salt until announced.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:31 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Koin: One of the arcs does.

Wano is a country inspired by Japan and it’s culture but otherwise is not Japan.
medicinodestiny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 4:08 am Reply with quote
andramus wrote:
Wasn't Tashigi supposed to look almost identical to Kuina? So much so that Zoro thought she was Kuina for a moment?

Yes, she is. But the live-action show has already changed a bunch of other stuff so it's probably just another thing they're changing.

D.E.D.E. wrote:
This is literally false. In the same SBS (SBS 52) that confirmed Nami as ‘Swedish’ he confirmed Zoro as Japanese. Anyone who read the manga would know this as well given his origins. It literally doesn’t take much to do a quick google search on this.

Not false at all, actually. Oda depicted Zoro as German on the cover spread of Chapter 790. Nami was depicted as American on the same cover. Oda gave them all different nationalities than in SBS 52. And since Chapter 790 came after that, it must clearly be the updated and more accurate depiction of said characters. ...assuming we're actually taking these things at face value and not just silly trivia. I think the fact most people who are repeating those one SBS answers are just kind of revealing they themselves probably don't read the series and are just Googling and repeating what random websites are saying otherwise they would know Oda has given multiple answers over the course of the series for what each Straw Hat represents all the time. If you want to defend whitewashing a character in an American adaption that's fine but there's no need to try to justify it with arguments about 'canon' or whatever.
D.E.D.E

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:56 am Reply with quote
medicinodestiny wrote:
andramus wrote:
Wasn't Tashigi supposed to look almost identical to Kuina? So much so that Zoro thought she was Kuina for a moment?

Yes, she is. But the live-action show has already changed a bunch of other stuff so it's probably just another thing they're changing.

D.E.D.E. wrote:

Not false at all, actually. Oda depicted Zoro as German on the cover spread of Chapter 790. Nami was depicted as American on the same cover. Oda gave them all different nationalities than in SBS 52. And since Chapter 790 came after that, it must clearly be the updated and more accurate depiction of said characters. ...assuming we're actually taking these things at face value and not just silly trivia. I think the fact most people who are repeating those one SBS answers are just kind of revealing they themselves probably don't read the series and are just Googling and repeating what random websites are saying otherwise they would know Oda has given multiple answers over the course of the series for what each Straw Hat represents all the time. If you want to defend whitewashing a character in an American adaption that's fine but there's no need to try to justify it with arguments about 'canon' or whatever.

That’s your argument? The cover spreads which are made purely for fan service and whatever Oda feeling like drawing the cast in at the time (the same spread that portrays Frankie in Chinese gear) is what you’re using to base this argument and not the actual answers he gave when he was asked straight up about their nationalities and race? Lmao the mental gymnastics at play here will never cease to amaze me Laughing even removing the manga as a factor in all of this, it’s already been shown that Oda is heavily involved in all aspects of this project, including the casting. There is no white washing. These characters have been cast as how Oda envisioned them. You’re the ones who keep acting like you know better than the creator apparently. The fact that the casting choices is more consistent with what he said with his SBS than whatever random cover page you want to pull from should tell you all you need to know about which is legitimate.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:16 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Wano is a country inspired by Japan and it’s culture but otherwise is not Japan.

Just imagine what poopstorm it would raise if Wakanda had other skin colors than black.
quariki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:13 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Still casting White actresses in place of Asian characters. Again, why is it ok with One Piece, but not Ghost in the Shell?

This is genuinely amazing bait
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:

Just imagine what poopstorm it would raise if Wakanda had other skin colors than black.

Well given that Wakanda which was created by two white men is located on the in real life continent of Africa which has a predominate population of darker skin people that would be interesting.
skywarior1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:06 pm Reply with quote
funkfoot wrote:
Rosikota wrote:
According to Oda, the creator, he believed if Nami was real she'd be Swedish. So, either way, Oda intended for her to be white in a case like this.

A bit interesting you assume Swedish means white by default.

Tell me, what race do you think of when you think of "German", because that was the country he associated with Zoro.

Oda associated Zoro with Japan, and he was rightfully cast with a Japanese actor. I don't know where you got Germany from nor why you think his design radiates "German", Even his homeland, Wano, is clearly Japan-based.
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:09 pm Reply with quote
came thinking the thread has 27 comments about the cast but it is just some nationalities debates, as if it matters where they r from. it is all fictional islands anyways.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2