• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:27 am Reply with quote
I'm mainly here just to give Rebecca props for the "Golfing= Bors" joke in her review. Very Happy
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:49 am Reply with quote
Suicide Squad ISEKAI is an origin story for no reason at all and has an incredibly basic understanding of DC and the SS but it starts going somewhere after the middling pilot. The animation quality kinda shocked me though. The direction is good but they rubbed 2 pennies together to anime it. It´s also very tame for a TV-Ma show and there are many PG-13 animated films that push the envelope much further (Assault on Arkham is PG-13) but the rat phonograph bit was quite funny. The humor ain´t too bad actually and getting a 7/10 after expecting a 5/10 is certainly a win.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:01 am Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:
If you're going to hate a series from the moment you read the title, knowing you hate the entire category of anime it exists in, you are not qualified to review it - specially when you don't even try to hide it. When the entire review can be replaced with "SSDD, FML", everyone is better off with it not existing in the first place. I know, you are obligated to write it because it is your job, but also, it is your job, so be professional? Reading those impressions are seconds of my life I will never get back, and there wasn't a single line of value in the whole lot. A poop emoji would have been a significant improvement.

I really don't even know why I even bother coming here anymore...

These are previews, with folks mainly giving their initial thoughts. Maybe save all of this for when the show you're into is actually getting reviewed week-to-week?
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:00 am Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:

Whenever I read these things, I always get the distinct impression that, outside of the one or two subgenres each reviewer likes to the point it can do no wrong, everyone seriously hates 95% of all anime from the past three decades, and takes a distinct pride in making that contempt as clear as humanly possible.

While I, on the contrary, appreciate they give us honest CRITICS about the series. This is ANN, not "weloveanime.com"

If someone expects praises without reservation of every series, no matter how objectively boring or over-done, then, yes, I suggest them to go anywhere es.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:43 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:

While I, on the contrary, appreciate they give us honest CRITICS about the series. This is ANN, not "weloveanime.com"

If someone expects praises without reservation of every series, no matter how objectively boring or over-done, then, yes, I suggest them to go anywhere es.
Boredom can never be objective. A show being boring will always be subjective
andramus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:21 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:

I've seen variations on this debate over the years and I sort of see it from both sides. Sometimes the reviews here and in other places can come across as excessively negative in their wording even if the overall rating given at the end isn't terrible.

Here's a hypothetical - take an anime like One Piece that has over 1100 episodes. Then imagine an anime-only reviewer reviewing that anime on this site for the last three years and 7 out of 10 of their reviews are negatively worded even if they give the episode 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 stars. The reviewer will assure readers that they like One Piece but it's just not living up to it's potential. How long does this go on before it seems more likely the reviewer only likes a small fraction of One Piece rather than One Piece as a whole? Do they really like One Piece or a better version of it they have in their own minds that never actually existed?

If they don't like One Piece that's fine but then who are they reviewing it for year after year? Other people who don't like it? What's the point?

A reasonable person doesn't expect everyone to like everything they do or share all the same opinions. A One Piece fan reading reviews each week would reasonably expect to see criticisms in the review and even share in some of them. However they would also hope to share in their enjoyment of the series with the reviewer.

An occasional disagreement would be be one thing but if the reviews start to feel excessively negative then the One Piece fan would begin to feel disheartened - perhaps even disenfranchised. They probably come to a website called "The Anime News Network" looking to share their love of something with fellow fans and instead find negativity for the thing they enjoy. No doubt they find like-minded inviduals in the forums and comments but the reviews can often set the tone for discourse and carry more weight than the thoughts of anonymous commentors.

I think there's a fine line between legitimate criticism and excess negativity and I wouldn't even trust myself to be the arbiter of it. I also tend to find excess positivity off-putting.

My personal gold standard for reviewers are a couple of retired Australian movie reviewers - David Stratton and Margaret Pomeranz. I watched them review movies for over a decade on their show - At The Movies. They had great chemistry and often argued over the merits of a movie. They had a great wealth of knowledge of the history of cinema - particularly David Stratton - and tended to like the sort of movies that weren't my cup of tea. David's favourite movie of all time is Singing In The rain and I generally detest musicals. However I loved listening to them review movies with both eloquence and passion. As well as the ability to appreciate them from a broader perspective than just their own personal preferences. Superhero movies weren't really their jam but when the MCU was first taking off they still managed to (begrudgingly) review those movies with the perspective of a broader audience in mind.

Here's a few examples:
Captain America The First Avenger
Captain America The Winter Soldier
The Avengers
Guardians of the Galaxy
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:24 am Reply with quote
Strongest Magician was by every possible metric for me, at most, simply whelming. It's a fairly inexpressive show, and although possessing a worthwhile and interesting conceit, ended its first episode in the most achingly standard way; given I was utterly disinterested in Realist Hero that cements this as a fairly forgettable show for me. I did however really like the girls, Dairokuten may not be treading any new ground in her design but she's got a cleanly effective design. Just super cute. Talk about damning with faint praise though, if that's what I focus on.

All the same though... despite Rising Impact being consistently easier on the eyes, having more to work with, doing more as we (exhaustingly) work through each and every step of Gawain getting interested in golf, likewise having a lady to follow in Kiria and their companionship ultimately being pretty likable despite Gawain's insufferably trite jokes... I would so much sooner keep up with the former than the latter. I gotta appreciate a series that is seemingly working on really building the boy's rise to stardom, it was just interminable. All the strengths mentioned, from Gawain's relentless enthusiasm to his natural talent, or how it does work fairly well in terms of basic vibes, just push me away despite being technically good. About the only time I smiled was when we waved goodbye to his grandpa. Which, to talk about something else entirely instead of the show I watched, I would much sooner watch a meditative and slow story about a grandpa reflecting on his life as his grandson steadily walks the path to his own adulthood as he lives his own life, both coming to understand the other better with age and just walking their own paths.

Also, I can't think of or look at Suzuki's designs without being reminded of The Seven Deadly Sins, which despite my love of Arthurian legend is profoundly not for me. As is this, in a different direction.
explodingpompoms

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:25 am Reply with quote
Was surprised by how much I enjoyed Suicide Squad overall (episode 3 was particularly fun), although my expectations were pretty low so it didn't have to do much to rise above it. I think it's only 10 episodes so I'll probably watch all of it unless it really goes downhill.

The ED, however, sucks - the song is meh and the animation is weirdly off-beat. I don't tend to skip OPs/EDs even when I only think they're okay, but I think I will skip this one lol. The OP is solid at least
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Checking Live Chart, the only thing I care in this season is Fairy Tail.

Making me one of the 5 guys who are.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:50 pm Reply with quote
The Suicide Squad ED making #2 on iTunes immediately after it's premiere is a funny contrast to some of the reactions
AverageAnimeFan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 2:41 pm Reply with quote
@CrypticPurpose

It's 2024, if you want an objective review read the encyclopedia. It's a cartoon, not that serious.
Woozy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I agrree with Cryptic. The preview and some reviews have mainly become some meta commentary around the show rather than the shows themselves.
q_3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I'll even watch Suicide Squad (another streaming subscription just for one series I'm at most mildly interested in?) but the ED is amazing. Amanda Waller is a lock for best girl of 2024.
Eilavel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:40 pm Reply with quote
The preview guides present a wide range of reviews from a wide range of reviewers. Theres no reason they can't be negative. If you eat Isekai like you eat big macs, why do you need a preview at all? Your at least going to watch the first episode anyway if thats your view, right, in which case you don't really need a preview guide? The previews are most valuable to inform general and casual anime viewers what anime they might want to pick up; if you watch all the first episodes- or all in a genre space- you are not the target for this content.

In any case, 2/4 reviews gave it 3 stars and reflect a "mid but OK" view of the show- which is also your view? Whats wrong with that? Nobody seems to think its a 5 star show? Or can they only have that review score or higher? A review site should use the full range of its stars and its good to have many perspectives.

Including some commentary on the state of the industry makes them more interesting, especially for shows I know I'm not going to pick up myself. A lot of the discussion is as if they are looking at ongoing reviews. This is a different format with a different purpose. It gives a broad range of impressions for the general viewer; they have ongoing reviews for a dialogue with fans and viewers of particular anime.

I suppose it might diversify the staff to have someone who has a genuine infinite taste for that sort of material. But honestly, if they got someone on board for that I'm not sure how many year of previews and stacked isekai reviews it would be before that slot needed filling again.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:39 pm Reply with quote
andramus wrote:
My personal gold standard for reviewers are a couple of retired Australian movie reviewers - David Stratton and Margaret Pomeranz. I watched them review movies for over a decade on their show - At The Movies. They had great chemistry and often argued over the merits of a movie. They had a great wealth of knowledge of the history of cinema - particularly David Stratton - and tended to like the sort of movies that weren't my cup of tea. David's favourite movie of all time is Singing In The rain and I generally detest musicals. However I loved listening to them review movies with both eloquence and passion. As well as the ability to appreciate them from a broader perspective than just their own personal preferences. Superhero movies weren't really their jam but when the MCU was first taking off they still managed to (begrudgingly) review those movies with the perspective of a broader audience in mind.

Was not expecting an At the Movies mention here.
To be fair though, shaky cam films were to David what Strongest Isekai series are to the ANN reviewers.

For my part I think the ANN team do genuinely try, because there's been cases where something they had kinda written off as gonna be shit ended up being pretty good and they admitted it. But I think maybe there's a limit to how much kindness they can give something when perhaps there isn't much to talk about.
But I can understand where people are coming from on the "they're not doing proper reviews" view. I do wonder if sometimes the reviewers are more interested in being witty than in properly reviewing (though I don't mind joke reviews every so often. If it helps stave off insanity, go for it).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5