• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - How to Watch Anime on a Budget

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FishLion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:25 am Reply with quote
I am also really concerned about streaming's effect on physical media. I love Delicious in Dungeon enough that I would 100% save up for a box set, but I doubt they will have one. If that does turn out to be the case, it is pretty wild to me that a company as successful as Studio Trigger is going to continue making so many anime that get no physical release in English. It would be nice if the production companies could produce sell physical DVDs since Netflix seems to have no interest, but I am sure that would make it harder to force people into using your service
ETA: I didn't say how that relates, I like that services like Tubi can give streaming access to anime without limiting physical releases. It would be helpful for the industry to sell physical media because I think people that buy box sets will not cut into subscription numbers, I don't know anyone that has a single make or break series forcing them to buy services at this point
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:46 am Reply with quote
On my last visit to Japan I picked up both soundtracks to Allison & Lillia and both sountracks to This Ugly and Beautiful World cheaply.

There were also lots of physical copies of anime (in DVD/Blu-ray format), sadly in Japanese only.

If only there was a way to legally add subtitles for titles that you can legally purchase in Japanese only format...
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:03 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
This is the real key here, and it's important to maintain that perspective. Though it should be noted that the usual MSRP ~20 years ago was $30 per DVD, not $20. And adjusted for inflation (June 2004 --> May 2024), that's around $50 in today's dollars. So if you bought a DVD every month in 2004, you'd be spending $600 in today's dollars, for approximately 48 episodes -- or one 4-cour show, two 2-cour shows, or four 1-cour shows. And this would be for DVD releases coming out 1-3 years after the JP airing. If you spent $50 a month today on streaming, that'd be about enough for Crunchyroll. HiDive, Netflix, and Disney+, netting you virtually every airing anime, a substantial (albeit not as complete as we'd like) anime back catalogue, AND a good amount of Western/mainstream entertainment content.

QFT. Plus, 30+ years ago, it wasn't uncommon to pay $30 for two episodes, or one 30 minute OVA, and since the primary release medium was VHS, choosing between sub or dub had to be done at the time of purchase. Anime availability these days is incredible.

(Damn, I got old lol)
mgree0032

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:28 am Reply with quote
And in back in the 90s and early 2000s, if you want to watch an anime on vhs, the dubbed versions cost less than the subtitled versions.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:00 am Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:

QFT. Plus, 30+ years ago, it wasn't uncommon to pay $30 for two episodes, or one 30 minute OVA, and since the primary release medium was VHS, choosing between sub or dub had to be done at the time of purchase. Anime availability these days is incredible.

(Damn, I got old lol)

I had a couple of those VHS tapes too, some OVAs episodes which made sense and the first 4 episodes of Slayers and 2 DBZ tapes that didn't make sense.
I budgeted myself to no more than 40 dollars a month for anime... so naturally I didn't even bother reading the article because I have never paid less for anime than right now... and I don't even subscribe to Crunchyroll.... 15 years and counting, anime killer free, that's me... "Crunchyroll, where anime goes to die".

I pay 10 a month for ad free Hulu, 40 a year for HIDIVE, Amazon pays me to have ad free Amazon Prime through some weird sort of alchemy and I've had Netflix for so long, its cost doesn't even register anymore.

I miss Funimation but that's nothing new. I still buy the occasional Funi DVD for sake of nostalgia.... making sure its properly remaindered and not "Property of CR", of course.

I did/"do" the pirate thing but anything too lightly obtained is too lightly esteened and all that.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:09 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
Not to lose perspective, I'll admit that it's still technically cheaper than it's ever been to watch anime as an anime fan. Even the physical discs you can buy these days are more cost-effective than the years of "$20 for a DVD with four episodes on it" if you wanted to keep up on a newly licensed show as it was released.

This is the real key here, and it's important to maintain that perspective. Though it should be noted that the usual MSRP ~20 years ago was $30 per DVD, not $20. And adjusted for inflation (June 2004 --> May 2024), that's around $50 in today's dollars. So if you bought a DVD every month in 2004, you'd be spending $600 in today's dollars, for approximately 48 episodes -- or one 4-cour show, two 2-cour shows, or four 1-cour shows. And this would be for DVD releases coming out 1-3 years after the JP airing. If you spent $50 a month today on streaming, that'd be about enough for Crunchyroll. HiDive, Netflix, and Disney+, netting you virtually every airing anime, a substantial (albeit not as complete as we'd like) anime back catalogue, AND a good amount of Western/mainstream entertainment content.

Yeah, MSRP at the time was $30, though depending on the company, you could pretty consistently buy a DVD for $20. Back then, my main source was Best Buy, and Funimation DVDs were consistently sold for $20, but Geneon was always the full $30. I do wonder how much of that price difference was coming from the retailer, though. Back then, I attended a charity auction at a convention where Funimation sent some employees and they supplied some DVDs signed by cast members. The company rep interrupted the auctioneer to tell him that the starting bid had to be $30.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:35 am Reply with quote
I remember when I was a kid and you'd pay $30 for a DVD with only three episodes on it. I tried using my allowance to keep up with the original DVD release of Inu Yasha, the first anime I really got into, and... yeah, I wasn't able to sustain that for too long.

If I'd bought the whole thing, that would've meant paying around $1600 USD (plus tax) for around 55 DVDs. Not counting the 2009 sequel series, which would've added another 26 episodes.

My understanding is that, prior to that, VHS anime was in a similar situation -- gotta pour one out for all those poor kids back in the 90s trying to collect Dragon Ball tapes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2