• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Evangelion Theme 'Cruel Angel's Thesis' Might Be Tops Globally, but Not in the U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Popularity is hard to judge based on one metric alone. Cowboy Bebop's DVD sales are quite high for a variety of reasons, in particular: timing (late 90s), cult popularity (ie: the people who like it, really like it), incomplete TV broadcast, adult target demo.

If you ask 1000 Japanese anime fans their favorite anime, and then ask the same question in North America, Bebop will be much higher in North America (top 10). I doubt it would rank top 30 in Japan.

Anyway, the article has been updated with more accurate wording.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:13 pm Reply with quote
At 14:15 YagamiBlackstone255 wrote:
I was so pissed that I literally voted for "Innocent Starter" from Nanoha and several other songs and when I checked these had ZERO VOTES!? WHAT GIVES!?

You must be looking at the nominations, right ?
Innocent starter received 1 nomination (which is how it got on the list), but no one voted for it after it was added.

The auto-results are a little unintuitive as they show the number of people who voted for it after the person who added it to the list.

I'll have that fixed in the survey software, it's misleading.

At 15:16 YagamiBlackstone255 wrote:
Is NO ONE going to explain this!?

Patience. We don't read the forum 24/7.

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:19 am; edited 3 times in total
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:20 pm Reply with quote
*tinkers around in Excel for a bit*

So… 647 respondents inside the US, and 484 outside? And 168 Americans and 80 non-Americans voted for Tank!, whereas 160 Americans and 109 non-Americans voted for A Cruel Angel's Thesis.

The results as a whole also, by the way, confirm evidence from the Top Anime rankings (discussed in previous threads) that ANN's readership is disproportionately composed of Olds, with 8/10 songs in the global top 10 being from the years 1992-2000, half being from 1998-2000, the mean year overall being 2001, and only one song being from the 2010s or 2020s. (The non-Americans, as you can see, have a second.)
YackDe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Popularity is hard to judge based on one metric alone. Cowboy Bebop's DVD sales are quite high for a variety of reasons, in particular: timing (late 90s), cult popularity (ie: the people who like it, really like it), incomplete TV broadcast, adult target demo.

If you ask 1000 Japanese anime fans their favorite anime, and then ask the same question in North America, Bebop will be much higher in North America (top 10). I doubt it would rank top 30 in Japan.

Anyway, the article has been updated with more accurate wording.

-t

The Bluray sales are still among the highest, for which the TV broadcast is irrelevant. I don't know how you can see "outsells Code Geass and Gundam SEED" and still try to perpetuate that narrative lmao.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I’m surprised Utena’s made the cut. Like, it’s a banger, don’t get me wrong, but whenever I mention Utena, I always feel like I get that “there are dozens of us! Dozens!” reaction from fans. Anime hyper
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Are there breakdowns for other specific countries besides the US?
pushknife

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:07 pm Reply with quote
YackDe wrote:
The Bluray sales are still among the highest, for which the TV broadcast is irrelevant. I don't know how you can see "outsells Code Geass and Gundam SEED" and still try to perpetuate that narrative lmao.

If you're only looking at the Code Geass and Gundam SEED boxset sales on that link in the first post then you're not seeing the whole picture. You're forgetting these shows sold in singles long before they released boxsets. The first volume of Gundam SEED alone sold over 100,000 copies let alone the later volumes and re-releases. Code Geass averaged around 45,000 per volume. During it's initial release Cowboy Bebop averaged 19,000 sales per volume.

Cowboy Bebop was certainly not a failure but now the people who claim to dislike misinformation are spreading their own by saying it was more popular in Japan than it actually was including other shows that outsold it

You can check various sales numbers here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A33miTSU1NHdVO7F8kMT68wgkM6uW8YThKPEsDvLKsc/edit?gid=330693366#gid=330693366
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
*tinkers around in Excel for a bit*

So… 647 respondents inside the US, and 484 outside? And 168 Americans and 80 non-Americans voted for Tank!, whereas 160 Americans and 109 non-Americans voted for A Cruel Angel's Thesis.

The results as a whole also, by the way, confirm evidence from the Top Anime rankings (discussed in previous threads) that ANN's readership is disproportionately composed of Olds, with 8/10 songs in the global top 10 being from the years 1992-2000, half being from 1998-2000, the mean year overall being 2001, and only one song being from the 2010s or 2020s. (The non-Americans, as you can see, have a second.)

I didn't think this was really a secret; but just to note "olds" in the anime fandom start somewhere around 25+. It's not like the majority of our readership is really that old.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm just impressed Lain is still being remembered this fondly. Duvet is a lovely song though, and fits the mood of the series nicely.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Cho_Desu wrote:
I'm just impressed Lain is still being remembered this fondly. Duvet is a lovely song though, and fits the mood of the series nicely.

I heard Duvet come on in a hostel cafe a few weeks ago! Apparently it's having a big revival on TikTok.
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:59 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting to see that Duvet is more popular globally (excluding the US) compared to the US results given that the song is in English.

I love it myself.

Personally I think OP and ED songs have an unfair advantage compared to other great songs from anime. But take a show like Bubblegum Crisis which doesn't really have any opening or ending songs, it paints a little bit of a different picture. There were a few songs from this OAV that people had voted for. Personally I think Mysterious Night is the best one (not Konya wa Hurricane or Asu e Touchdown).
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh, neat -- We Are is #8 on both the US and non-US charts, but #9 total. Is that Simpson's paradox, or something else? Seems to have to do with the global rankings being more "spread-out" than each sub-ranking (which is probably inevitable).

ANN_Lynzee wrote:
I didn't think this was really a secret; but just to note "olds" in the anime fandom start somewhere around 25+. It's not like the majority of our readership is really that old.

Oh, sure -- I'm 36 myself. Still, I've resigned myself to the fact that everything from TTGL to Madoka Magica now counts as "classic anime".
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I voted for Duvet, I am so glad its such a winner.
turnsie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm extremely happy that Utena's OP made the cut, I feel like I made listening to Masami Okui a core aspect of my personality so early in life (by 8 years old if I recall correctly) that I would've fallen to my knees if it didn't. I'm also going to take this moment to be horribly, disgustingly pedantic and say the title of the song is Rondo Revolution rather than Rinbu. Something something ateji reading, y'know.

At the same time, I'm wounded by no Slayers OPs and absolutely gutted by no Gundam Wing OPs. Two-Mix my beloved...
JustMonika

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:54 am Reply with quote
Where's Tokimeki Climax (UzaMaid), Magical Destroyers (Magical Destroyers), Be Perfect please! (Cautious Hero), Adrenaline! (Eromanga Sensei), Study X Study (High School DxD), Folila (Girlfriend, Girlfriend), True Love Fool (More than a Married Couple), Call of the Night (Call of the Night) or Happiness of the Dead (Zom 100)?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3