• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cyber Attack Delays Kadokawa's Releases, Accounting With Niconico Expected to Stay Offline for

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:41 am Reply with quote
Velluekk wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
I think you underestimate the attachment people have to the site.

To that end, I believe Niconico was Japan's 2nd most popular video site. The Niconico ecosystem had a pronounced artist presence and that showed in at least 2 sister sites for image and file sharing.

My major concern is from a preservation aspect. There is so much media that originated on Niconico that didn't necessarily make it to other platforms, not to mention outside content (read: files) whose access is inextricably linked to Niconico. There is a legitimate risk that some or all of that is now lost due to the cyberattack.

If you review the article once more, you'll see they haven't lost anything as they're simply awaiting the investigation's conclusion.

This. As a person who works as an Engineer and a company, with whom I worked for, went through a ransomware-event. Kadokawa needs to understand where thee attack came from in its entirety before they flip everything back on otherwise, they run the risk of it coming back.

There's a known approach by bad actors to attempt the same attack on the same company 'X' amount of time after the initial attack. This is due to the affected company not patching out the problem properly. Kadokawa is doing the right thing. Unfortunately, not all companies have that luxury. It's not just the profit lines that are affected, its breach of contracts (penalties for failure to deliver), any other types of payouts for various things, cost to repair/rebuild, so on and so forth.

I wish their IT team the best. If this happened in the US, there would be major internal fallout from this. Always is. Top-level management always goes for blood. I don't know how the Japanese business is and how they approach blame. My western perspective is someone or a group of people will get scapegoated hard.
Koroto

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:49 am Reply with quote
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
Kadokawa is doing the right thing.

As for Nico, they've already said they're rebuilding the infrastructure, not waiting for the assessment (at least from what I read on X/Twitter from the Nico info account and the executives account).
The "provisional site" (only accessible from Japan, sadly) was put up in three days, which I assume was a gargantuan task.

Besides, the IT thing may be going correctly, but four days of silence, virtually no coverage from the main JP press...I got the feeling that Kadokawa did try to sweep some details under the rug. This is a serious incident. Nico communicated much better than Kadokawa, whose initial press release said basically nothing.
The company I work for got hit by a similar attack last year, and the service provider attacked got - rightly- lambasted for waiting a full day before telling what was going on (from the communication sent afterwards, they understood it was an attack shortly after they noticed an anomaly).
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Koroto wrote:
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
Kadokawa is doing the right thing.

As for Nico, they've already said they're rebuilding the infrastructure...

...Besides, the IT thing may be going correctly, but four days of silence, virtually no coverage from the main JP press...I got the feeling that Kadokawa did try to sweep some details under the rug..

Never meant to imply they shouldn't or aren't rebuilding. Would be ridiculous not to. But flipping it on for customers, different story.

Find me a company that is 100% transparent about everything. I think a statement like this is more par for the course. In my opinion, 100% transparency creates more problems and can, depending on the scenario, cause more confusion or convolute the situation.
Koroto

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:11 pm Reply with quote
SaitoHajime101 wrote:

Never meant to imply they shouldn't or aren't rebuilding. Would be ridiculous not to. But flipping it on for customers, different story.

The way they worded it, from my understanding, is that they plan to rebuild AND relaunch in over a month or so (certain services are expected to come online in steps. I expect the video part to come last).

Quote:

Find me a company that is 100% transparent about everything.

In this case, I feel they have to for the part that is relevant. Especially if there's a risk (even if for now it doesn't seem likely) of data theft.

I've seen some (minimal) animosity directed at Kadokawa for this, while there's basically zero animosity towards Nico (there's even an encouragement hashtag going on).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:02 am Reply with quote
Incidentally, Japan has been a running joke with regards to internet security, especially when it came out that Japan’s minister of cybersecurity has never even used a computer Laughing

Anyways, Nico Nico Douga itself lost much of its popularity by the mid-2010s
Velluekk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:01 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Incidentally, Japan has been a running joke with regards to internet security, especially when it came out that Japan’s minister of cybersecurity has never even used a computer Laughing

Anyways, Nico Nico Douga itself lost much of its popularity by the mid-2010s

Hey, that's old news from 2018, not 2024
FormX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 4:03 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

While that is mostly true, most don't realize the modern usage it gets (aside from historical significance). The Vocaloid Collection both as an event and as an app promotes and utilizes NND. It's popular enough that Billboard Japan has a chart based on it: https://billboard-japan.com/charts/detail?a=niconico
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2