• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Apothecary Diaries Manga Artist Nekokurage Pleads Guilty to Tax Evasion

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:51 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
To be a mangaka or to file taxes...although it's kind of funny how the actual Apothecary Diaries author got involved by telling them to "talk to a tax accountant."

I think they used those words as 'she was told to fill in her taxes the right way; her actions were not a one-time-nobody-told me-I-was-wrong mistake'.
Ruhrpottpatriot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:32 am Reply with quote
Meexa wrote:
Ah yes that is it, thank you. It is the Pareto Principle.

Also, the principle states that 80% of the revenue is made by 20% of the users (or works in this case). Or that 80% of daily work is done in 20% of the time.

tsog wrote:
Never though I'd find people openly advocating breaking tax laws on ANN.

You mean hypocrites who evade taxes but happily take away all of the social benefits, like roads, sewage and police? I think we call those people "leeches."
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:12 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
What I don’t understand is why they (she?) are still in trouble. It says they paid all taxes and fees they owed in 2022, so what is there left to be prosecuted for?

If you steal a car and give it back you've still committed a crime. Just because they paid their taxes and the fees associated with the late payment doesn't make the willful tax evasion just magically OK, she hasn't been prosecuted for that yet.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
XSp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Given how many cases of tax evasion that we often see here and in general Japanese news, this kinda sounds less like a malice problem, but rather an educational one. Might be wrong, I dunno about details of tax declaration in Japan.
Perhaps someone living in Japan could clarify, but I'm a bit curious about this.

From what some expats living in Japan tell, it kinda sounded to me that it was pretty straightforward to pay taxes... in comparison to my country that is. I mean, it was still a whole day affair of pulling papers and whatnot, but still simple by comparison.

The system here is more or less like this - people with low income are mostly exempt. But middle class and up the vast majority of people end up needing to hire an accountant or at least have someone who knows how to fill in tax paperwork because it gets super complicated.

It is so complicated that errors are the norm, the burden of checking if it's correct or not goes towards the government (that is quickly becoming very efficient in doing so), they will check everything, and send you a fine plus the amount you still owe if something is wrong there. Of course, that's for common errors.

It usually does not automatically generate a tax evasion or fraud accusation.... unless you didn't even file anything to begin with. Which seems to be the case here. But also, in cases where there is evident falsification of receipts, contracts and other documents, that also goes to criminal court.

Not an accountant myself, so I'm clueless on the subject, but I've been trying to learn more about this... thus my curiosity.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:48 pm Reply with quote
XSp wrote:
Given how many cases of tax evasion that we often see here and in general Japanese news, this kinda sounds less like a malice problem, but rather an educational one. Might be wrong, I dunno about details of tax declaration in Japan.
Perhaps someone living in Japan could clarify, but I'm a bit curious about this.

From what some expats living in Japan tell, it kinda sounded to me that it was pretty straightforward to pay taxes... in comparison to my country that is. I mean, it was still a whole day affair of pulling papers and whatnot, but still simple by comparison.

The system here is more or less like this - people with low income are mostly exempt. But middle class and up the vast majority of people end up needing to hire an accountant or at least have someone who knows how to fill in tax paperwork because it gets super complicated.

It is so complicated that errors are the norm, the burden of checking if it's correct or not goes towards the government (that is quickly becoming very efficient in doing so), they will check everything, and send you a fine plus the amount you still owe if something is wrong there. Of course, that's for common errors.

It usually does not automatically generate a tax evasion or fraud accusation.... unless you didn't even file anything to begin with. Which seems to be the case here. But also, in cases where there is evident falsification of receipts, contracts and other documents, that also goes to criminal court.

Not an accountant myself, so I'm clueless on the subject, but I've been trying to learn more about this... thus my curiosity.

Reading the article spells out that the excuses they gave of ignorance were very very flimsy. They had properly done so in the past, and only when they had a lot to gain did they stop filing and then go ahead and use that money to invest in real estate. It was a calculated move and had nothing to do with being confused or uneducated in what the proper avenue was.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt, but… she's been a successful manga artist for some time. Back in 2019, TAD volume 5 sold over 100,000 copies in its first week (coming in at #3 on the Oricon chart), and broke 200,000 by the end of its third week. Volume 7 topped the weekly chart outright. Adding the statements from her editor and Natsu Hyuuga? She should absolutely know by now that filing tax returns by the decade isn't a thing. There's a point when procrastination just becomes stonewalling -- where "I know I have to, but it's such a hassle, and I've got so much to do…" stops being plausible, and it can only be interpreted as "Ugh, I really don't wanna, maybe I just… won't. Maybe if I ignore them they'll go away." And then there's the bit about the money being used to buy real estate (which doesn't seem to be in the linked NHK Fukuoka or Mainichi Shimbun, but Googling 池田恵理香 不動産 brought up some decent sources) -- I mean, seriously?

Doing this was just dumb, and she should count herself very lucky if the manga isn't canceled (as will I). In closing…

EDIT: And I see the source for the real estate was the initial Kyodo News report from April 1. I'm a bit puzzled that the indictment was dated a full month before the public announcement -- during which time volume 13 of the manga was released, which could maybe mean Squeenix plans to keep publishing it… unless they didn't want to make a move before the indictment was public… but two more issues of Big Gangan have come out since 4/1 and both had new TAD chapters…

EDIT2: Worth noting that a good amount of the manga's artistic strength comes from Itsuki Nanao's writing and storyboards, so it honestly might turn out decently even if Nekokurage does get replaced.
Ruhrpottpatriot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:17 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
If you steal a car and give it back you've still committed a crime.

Bad example. There exist countries where you need to have the intention of keeping the stolen item for theft to be a crime. Germany is such a country. You could very well take your neighbours car, go shopping with it and then put it back. You wouldn't have committed a crime and be have to reimburse the used fuel (assuming you didn't break anything, but that's another crime).

It's the same with taxes in Germany. Usually if you didn't pay enough or "forgot" to pay, you usually pay the amount owed, plus interest and a fine (based on your income) and then the case is closed. For this stuff to get to court you really have to have evaded taxes in a big manner and over multiple years.
Velluekk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:43 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Quote:
Nekokurage was indicted by The Fukuoka Regional Taxation Bureau on February 29 on suspicion of not declaring approximately 260 million yen (about US$1.6 million) in income and evading about 47 million yen (about US$298,887) in taxes from 2019-2021. According to the National Tax Bureau, the tax-evaded money, which includes income earned from manga sales, was used to purchase real estate.

I honestly had no idea manga artists could make that kind of money in a three year span. Is this normal? And that's just for an adaptation, I've always thought of manga adaptation artists as being on a lower rung compared to original creators (be it a single writer/artist or a duo) since they're likely assigned by a publisher and are happy to do whatever work they can get without much room to negotiate. I guess I wasn't prepared for those numbers.

Emerje

I think many manga artists and light novel authors often balance their creative work with other professions, especially if they're not working on a weekly manga on shounen Jump
Velluekk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:50 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
WANNFH wrote:
]Oh, it's pretty safe to say there the authors who made it big are cash-loaded, it's more like 95% of the industry are cannot breach the numbers and are on low side.

Yeah, I think this is likely it -- although, I really suspect it's way more uneven than this 95% suggests. Manga (/books/acting/etc) has an economic model similar to sports: there are only so many eyeballs, but given the ability of modern tech to transmit their work to billions of people, the industry can easily be dominated by a small number of people perceived to be 'the best' at their craft. In a setup like this, I generally expect the top incomes will take home really outsized percentage of overall profits, and the top incomes are almost completely uninformative about the median person's income in the industry.

Many mangaka and LN authors often maintain other occupations alongside their writing and drawing, particularly when they're not bound by weekly deadlines, such as those working on monthly or less frequent releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2