• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Boy and the Heron Film Wins Oscar for Best Animated Feature

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Far: Spider-verse 2 was good, but it was a sequel, and an incomplete one at that. If Empire Strikes Back couldn't nab big prizes for that, then Spidey was equally out of luck.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Hell yes! Very well deserved Very Happy
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Spidey peeps weren't sore losers: https://www.slashfilm.com/1536256/sorry-spider-man-the-boy-and-the-heron-deserved-oscar-upset/

Looks like it's getting a theatrical re-release. But I hope it goes to streaming soon. https://www.cbr.com/best-animated-feature-oscar-2024/
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see it win to be honest! Very Happy
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:58 am Reply with quote
I'm so dang happy. When it won, I CHEERED.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:59 am Reply with quote
I was betting on Boy and the Heron, mostly because the Oscars are usually loathe to award the middle film in a trilogy (The Two Towers arguably deserved Best Picture over Chicago, but the Academy elected to wait till Return of the King to give Peter Jackson all the Oscars), but also because, well, Spider-Verse is a superhero film, and the idea of the Animated category being the "kids category" is defied by Miyazaki's more intricate, personal work beating a superhero film. Not that I disliked Across the Spider-Verse mind you, I just thought Boy and the Heron was superior.
medicinodestiny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:03 am Reply with quote
This was the only film on the list I've actually seen, but I have a feeling I wouldn't care for the other nominees much. I think the only competition it had was the Disney/Pixar film, but I haven't heard great things about Elemental. Apparently it had really bad opening numbers.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:37 am Reply with quote
medicine: Yeah, it almost bombed, but WOM saved it. I don't think Inside Out 2 will have that problem, though.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:25 pm Reply with quote
That's amusing, because I've heard nothing but negativity about this movie from anime fans, like this is Miyazaki's worst film. I guess I should see it, though, and see if that's true.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Radrappy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:25 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
That's amusing, because I've heard nothing but negativity about this movie from anime fans, like this is Miyazaki's worst film. I guess I should see it, though, and see if that's true.

It's not a film for everyone - but it's overflowing with depth and meaning. I was thinking about the story long after I had left the theater.

Definitely not his worst - not while Ponyo exists Razz
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Rad: I liked Ponyo! The one Miyazaki movie which didn't get nominated...
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Spider-Man: The Quest for More Money is a slightly better film but is anyone surprised? The could be the final film of the most revered animation director of all time, it´s a personal project with biographical elements that the director also wrote and it's an original film on top of that. Spider-man on the other hand already won an Oscar last time and is sequel bait with at least one Spiderwomen spin-off on the way. Not the kind of movie the Academy wants to award, to put it mildly. The Academy should have brought back the Fan Oscars, just to see Rebel Moon triumph over the latest Marvel kino.

The Boy and the Heron should have been nominated for Best Sound, maybe even won. The film somehow sounds better than it looks! The film is rated All Ages in Japan and I don´t see the need for a PG-13 but MPAA hardly makes sense. The usual remark how animation being a kid's medium was on stage again. Amazing stuff. It was lastly nice to see Nimona nominated after Disney kicked it to the curb. Their animation department is in utter shambles right now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Tee-hee. https://www.ign.com/articles/spider-man-across-the-spider-verse-star-film-robbed-best-animated-feature-oscar If anyone was robbed, it was the poor souls who had to endure Ant-Man 3, The Marvels, and Madame Web. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by GATSU on Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:29 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

I liked Ponyo better than Spirited Away, personally, but I prefer Ghibli movies that are a little more straightforward over ones that go head-deep into the swamp weeds of symbolism.

The problem is, 2009 was a ridiculously good year for animated movies where I was rooting for Fantastic Mr. Fox but I would have accepted pretty much any of the nominees, and a couple of non-nominees, winning (even if the first half of Up was much better than the second half where it kind of got silly with the plane-flying dogs).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Radrappy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:25 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

To be fair I think all his films are at least good - Ponyo was just my personal least favorite. It has some incredible stuff in it but devolves into some straight up nonsense near the end. Heron has its share of nonsense in the middle but the ending more or less threads the needle in a very satisfying way. My patience for kids yelling about ham and such must have been just smaller than most haha
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3