• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinichiro Watanabe, MAPPA's Lazarus Anime Teased in Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tywhoppity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:14 am Reply with quote
Oh, man, that OST! Can't wait to listen to it, as well as see it!
ViviP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:53 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Something someone said in the videos comment section caught my eye
Quote:
This looks like exactly what everyone wants when you say "Directed by Shinichiro Watanabe."
It is a feeling that a lot of these co-productions have, like they are made to appeal to people who started watching Anime in the 00s on Adult Swim and/or DVD. Don't get me wrong, throwbacks are great,especially when they have a new spin on an old idea. But at a certain I start to question why bother watching an action sci-fi drama or thriller that's trying to emulate similar titles from the 00s, like what BONES and Production I.G made, when i can just go back and watch those shows.

I'm not knocking Lazarus, there's only a trailer, and it looks pretty good, but Watanabe making shows that on paper people might not want from him, like Space Dandy, is just better. The best things in life are the ones you never knew you wanted.

You’re talking like there was a choice between nostalgia pandering or something more interesting, when it’s more likely that the choice was between nostalgia pandering or nothing.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:20 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I'm not knocking Lazarus, there's only a trailer, and it looks pretty good, but Watanabe making shows that on paper people might not want from him, like Space Dandy, is just better.

My impression of Space Dandy was that it was designed to appeal to Futurama fans specifically, and Americans generally; and it seems like it wasn't wildly successful anyway. Ultimately, as much as studios try to make safe bets, it's almost impossible to predict what people will actually like. I mean, the Mario movie was extremely popular, despite everyone expecting to hate it, and its opening was just beaten by the freakin' Barbie movie, probably because of all those memes about seeing it as an incongruous double feature with Oppenheimer.

I am a little concerned about the plot of Lazarus seemingly taking inspiration from Covid-vaccine conspiracy theories... but maybe we shouldn't read too much into that.
Los Nido

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:22 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
My impression of Space Dandy was that it was designed to appeal to Futurama fans specifically, and Americans generally; and it seems like it wasn't wildly successful anyway

I thought Space Dandy took more from Cobra, myself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2