• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf COO Christine Morgan Leaves Right Stuf/Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 10:42 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
I know the regulators really don't look at smaller markets but it's sad that Sony/CR was allowed to create a monopoly in the anime/manga market like they have.

More like "semi-monopoly". Like various other media companies, the Sony Corp is way too big. The Sony Corp has has about $193,661,051,300 in total assets. To me, they should be at least $150 billion less.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 1:05 am Reply with quote
This worries me... Sad
Lord Seth

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 1:16 am Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
I know the regulators really don't look at smaller markets but it's sad that Sony/CR was allowed to create a monopoly in the anime/manga market like they have.
Do Crunchyroll or Sony have anything to do with manga at all?
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 3:05 am Reply with quote
Lord Seth wrote:

Not in the US but they do have a manga publishing division in Europe thanks to Crunchyroll buying a majority stake of Viz Media Europe (which owned Kazé) in 2019 back when they were still part of WarnerMedia.

The rebrand took effect last year and just like with ex-Funimation sets here, you have anime & manga releases in France & Germany with Crunchyroll's logo all over them now instead of Kazé.

Example
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 7:10 am Reply with quote
Also, since they have bought Right Stuf!, Sony has become one of the larger retail distributors of manga from all US companies.
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Summinn wrote:
rankothefiremage wrote:

They don't have a monopoly as long as Hidive and Netflix exist. Hell with the rise in popularity of Anime, even companies like Disney want some of the pie, leading to even a smaller chance of Sony developing a monopoly.

i think disney might leave as amazon left as well to cut costs.
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Lord Seth wrote:
rankothefiremage wrote:

they have a section to read manga which had some kodansha titles.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 1:02 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:

The DOJ actually did take a long look at the CR-Funi deal. They were concerned it limited the options of Japanese studios looking to license their content here.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/24/22349203/doj-crunchyroll-investigation-sony-att

I think the departures at TRSI are what tend to happen with a merger. Many of the administrative functions can be handled at the corporate level as they find efficiencies and redundancies. At this point, I wonder if Rightstuf will even stay in Iowa. I don't know what their warehouse lease looks like or any of that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2