• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Summer Time Rendering

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:54 am Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:

Very few people fall into the venn diagram of [knows this show exists] and [Is willing to wait for legal streaming]. So it's more likely that there's some really passionate Japanese licensor that works for Disney that convinced Disney to shell out some money for content, but wasn't able to get any marketing dollars.

If only ANN could somehow locate and interview said person.....
Kiwi93

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:02 am Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
Very few people fall into the venn diagram of [knows this show exists] and [Is willing to wait for legal streaming]. So it's more likely that there's some really passionate Japanese licensor that works for Disney that convinced Disney to shell out some money for content, but wasn't able to get any marketing dollars.

Well if they really want to be in the anime market so bad they need to do a better job with their marketing then, they fought hard to get Bleach yet never did any sort marketing for it instead Viz had to do all of it. If it wasn’t for ANN I wouldn’t have even known S2 of Tokyo revengers was going to be simulcasted on Hulu. They just choose to not put any type of promotion to any anime they acquire so they really are just treating it as an afterthought from my point of view.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:40 am Reply with quote
^
Streaming has always operated off word of mouth. Even mega hits like Stranger Things got their start like this.

The idea is to put it on a streaming service and people browsing will see it and check it out.

This is different from the days of Cable TV where you had to heavily advertise otherwise people wouldn't know when it's on.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:56 am Reply with quote
I'm on episode 8 and so far I'm liking it quite a lot, although I found the comedy bits in the last few episodes I saw kind of werid. Furthermore, I think the animation and character designs were very good, and the first opening is pretty catchy. I'll try to avoid spoilers

Raebo101 wrote:
And what's worse than this show being stuck in Disney jail is that the English dub is TERRIBLE.

Speaking about the Disney Jail and dubs, the Spanish dub leaked from Disney+ in Asia on September, that means that Disney could have released the show before but for some reason they didn't, I hope they won't repeat the same mistake with Tokyo Revengers. Don't know how bad is the English dub, but the Neutral Spanish dub is fine, at least of the episodes I've seen and heard so far. Shinpei's voice is kind of weird sometimes, like to deep, I don't know if that's because his voice actor, Uraz Huerta, had previously only voiced Inosuke in KnY, he voiced characters like Li Syaoran and Matt Ishida when he was young but his voice has changed a lot since he returned to voice acting after many years. As the dub is produced by Disney there're a couple of actors who mainly work on their works, I found it interesting that Shidehiko is voiced by Pisano, he's considered a celebrity voice actor, he voiced Scar in the Lion King remake and he recently voiced The Wolf in the last Puss in Boots movie. Mizuru's voice actress, Jennifer Medel, is also pretty interesting choice since she tends to voice comedic characters like Happy in Fairy Tail, Lambo in Reborn! and recently Riri in Romantic Killer where Ushio's voice actress, Diana Nolan, voiced Anzu.
Also, for some reason the show was localized in Latin America as "La Isla de las Sombras" (lit. The Island of Shadows), but in Spain it still goes as Summer Time Rendering.
grooven

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Such a fantastic show it's too bad it took forever to come out of jail. I think it would've been a huge it otherwise. Hopefully it does well regardless now that it's been officially released outside Japan legally.
Glordit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:29 am Reply with quote
Kiwi93 wrote:
Well if they really want to be in the anime market so bad they need to do a better job with their marketing then, they fought hard to get Bleach yet never did any sort marketing for it instead Viz had to do all of it. If it wasn’t for ANN I wouldn’t have even known S2 of Tokyo revengers was going to be simulcasted on Hulu. They just choose to not put any type of promotion to any anime they acquire so they really are just treating it as an afterthought from my point of view.

Even VIZ was terrible at promoting Bleach. The most I saw about it was a tweet or two about it being On Disney/Hulu, and that was via a retweet too. Unless you follow VIZ on social media, or where following news about its return you'd probably never have known it was coming out. Tokyo Revengers is also as bad, if not worse.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:09 pm Reply with quote
^
This reminds me of something I read/heard about "A Place Further Than the Universe". Apparently, before/during the show's broadcast, there was no advertising for it. I remember being very surprised when I learned this.
Blortle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:17 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Gem-Bug"]
tintor2 wrote:
The "heroes make a counterattack only for the villains to trump them with another new power" trope got really stale, and as I'm mulling over this post, I'm realizing that a lot of the reveals ended up being let-downs? Shide's true goals and the Hishigata family's reasons for following him(while also not asking more about those goals) seemed shallow. It was definitely more interesting that "Ryunosuke" was maybe a persona created by Hizuru's trauma and grief, rather than the reveal that it was actual him sharing her body. Even the eventual effect that everyone kept their memories each time Shinpei looped felt lazy and an easy way out compared to having to get each character up to speed again every loop.

That was one of my favorite parts of the series. I enjoyed that it turned into a cat and mouse game with each side trying to outfox the other. Considering the stakes, how easy it was for heroes to die, Shinpei only having a limited amount of loops, etc. It made things tense. And the heroes weren't just idiots there to react to the villains doing things. They constantly took the fight to the villains, learned from their mistakes, and damn near had things won a few times. The plan for the final loop spoiler[setting themselves up right near Hiruko so they could strike before the villains knew what was happening, and then using the fake nail gun as bait] was great.

As for Shide... he's not intended to be a complicated villain or anything. A villain doesn't need to be complicated, simply intimidating and a powerful final obstacle for the heroes to overcome and he was definitely that. spoiler[I think him being an entitled jackass essentially throwing a tantrum because he turned out to be not as immortal as he thought and being so self-absorbed that he decided that if he doesn't get to live forever then nobody gets to live] is all that's really needed.
Malsang

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:27 am Reply with quote
This was easily my favorite action/adventure anime of the year. Every single episode gave me the primal need to find out what would happen next. I have not watched the dub, but I'll echo others in saying that this anime might've been a huge hit if its US release hadn't been mishandled as much as it was. It really feels like Disney saw the success of other simulcasted anime titles, but did not have the infrastructure needed to support simultaneous dubs and refused to market it until the dub was complete like you would expect out of the mid-2000s (at the latest).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2