• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony: PlayStation 5 Should Be 'Much Easier' to Buy in 2023

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Weirdly, I got mine via a phone bundle, though it also had a one-per-family-plan limit. Understandable, if we all lived under the same roof.
reynado

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:28 am Reply with quote
With all the exclusives jumping ship to PC and some even to Xbox I can't think of a reason to buy one anymore.
Meexa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Chris Handsome wrote:
Why get a PS5 when a mid-range PC is more than satisfactory? PS5 has barely anything worthwhile that wasn't already on PS3 or PS4 and has been on PC or is coming to PC.

TLDR; I whole heartly agree! In the long run it is better for the market.

I'm actually happy about this. We need more competition on PC parts, software, physical releases, peripherals, Home UIs, Operating systems, Networking, and digital store fronts. I could care less about competition on console hardware. The exclusive to console stuff started to get on my nerves (very annoyed by it), and I don't have enough room for it all (lets not forget about time and money).

Once God Of War, Uncharted, and Horizon, got released on PC (especially god of war), I knew it was finally the end of console exclusives. Honestly, we have epic, gog, steam, nintendo (by releasing things on mobile) and xbox (with xbox being the final nail in the coffin) for sony to push for those juicey pc sales.

Bill Gates and Co. actually planned this out on the og xbox. They were scared of sony's dominance. So they came in hoping to steal a piece of the pie and convert console gamers into pc gamers. Which microsoft already makes bank, normally every pc runs on windows os. Even though other OSs are trying to rock the boat. Microsoft has worked really hard to integragate xbox brand with the windows brand.

I could go on a longer rant about why this competition helps out better in other sectors in the pc realm, but I already typed too much, and people probably don't care lol. It was still nice to let that out. thanks u chris handsome.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:18 am Reply with quote
Chris Handsome wrote:
Why get a PS5 when a mid-range PC is more than satisfactory? PS5 has barely anything worthwhile that wasn't already on PS3 or PS4 and has been on PC or is coming to PC.

How much is a mid-range PC these days? Just a mid-range GPU like costs more than a PS5.
Meexa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Chris Handsome wrote:

How much is a mid-range PC these days? Just a mid-range GPU like costs more than a PS5.

Tom's Hardware is one of the many who do a decent job of getting your prices. It is normally best to do around holiday sales, like black friday. "Best PC Builds for Gaming: From Sub $500 Budgets to $3000+"

Back in December 2022, a midrange would cost you about $1500 - $1700. That is the initial build, but if you ever upgrade certain parts, it is actually lower. But the one rule of building, you want to build around the games you are trying to play, plus what resolution, levels of graphic settings, and frame rate you want it at. This could drop or increase your price significantly.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Meexa wrote:
Back in December 2022, a midrange would cost you about $1500 - $1700.

And a PS5 is like 599. The digital only is less. So clearly there is a good reason to get a PS5: It's a lot cheaper than a decent gaming PC.
Meexa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Meexa wrote:

And a PS5 is like 599. The digital only is less. So clearly there is a good reason to get a PS5: It's a lot cheaper than a decent gaming PC.

No, the reason why a person would go to console is either for a "exclusive" or it would be "easier" for them. Remember, I said there is several factors to consider cost (this in itself is just another example of getting a console is easier). A persons build or upgrade could be cheaper than the digital only ps5.

Two other things to keep in mind, is the centralization of software price, and the tech becomes outdated. Outdated tech, means cheaper upgrades. Better tech, means it is also easier to run newer/older games as well. Especially if the dev team decides to optimize a game (I'm looking at you Blade and Souls). With a console, once a new one comes out, you have to hope it has bwc, or say goodbye to your library.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Meexa wrote:
Cam0 wrote:
Meexa wrote:

No, the reason why a person would go to console is either for a "exclusive" or it would be "easier" for them. Remember, I said there is several factors to consider cost (this in itself is just another example of getting a console is easier). A persons build or upgrade could be cheaper than the digital only ps5.

Two other things to keep in mind, is the centralization of software price, and the tech becomes outdated. Outdated tech, means cheaper upgrades. Better tech, means it is also easier to run newer/older games as well. Especially if the dev team decides to optimize a game (I'm looking at you Blade and Souls). With a console, once a new one comes out, you have to hope it has bwc, or say goodbye to your library.

Thats rubbish, purely by the information you yourself presented. Now, you want to include upgrades in your argument, and sure, it is possible that you can upgrade to a "mid range" pc (depending on your starting point.) But you aren't going to start with a mid range one. And while that might be a better deal over many years, thats a buy in that is obscene for many budgets.
Meexa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:01 pm Reply with quote
No, that was in my original quote. I also included a bunch of other stuff in there as well.

Quote:
Back in December 2022, a midrange would cost you about $1500 - $1700. That is the initial build, but if you ever upgrade certain parts, it is actually lower.

Basically, everyone's mileage will vary, hence why consoles are just easier than pc. Trying to figure that all out will cause some people a headache (I didn't even get into selling parts or buying used. Which both pc and console markets can do, but I excluded it because that is a jumble mess). But with software migrating over to pc, the 2nd benefit of exclusives is on a slippery slope. They are just timed exclusives.
[/quote]
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Meexa wrote:
No, that was in my original quote. I also included a bunch of other stuff in there as well.

Quote:
Back in December 2022, a midrange would cost you about $1500 - $1700. That is the initial build, but if you ever upgrade certain parts, it is actually lower.

Basically, everyone's mileage will vary, hence why consoles are just easier than pc. Trying to figure that all out will cause some people a headache (I didn't even get into selling parts or buying used. Which both pc and console markets can do, but I excluded it because that is a jumble mess). But with software migrating over to pc, the 2nd benefit of exclusives is on a slippery slope. They are just timed exclusives.

Follow the full path of your logic here instead of stopping halfway. You're saying that if exclusives are fully eliminated then people will choose based on price and performance... and then denying that somehow spending $400 on a PS5 is less than $1,500 on a midrange PC, not even one that is guaranteed to perform as well as a PS5. It is truly absurd to pretend that people only get consoles for exclusives while pointing out that they are also a cheaper way to play non-exclusives.
Meexa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and then denying that somehow spending $400 on a PS5 is less than $1,500 on a midrange PC, not even one that is guaranteed to perform as well as a PS5. It is truly absurd to pretend that people only get consoles for exclusives while pointing out that they are also a cheaper way to play non-exclusives.

In attempt to not repeat myself, when I say "mileage will vary," let me give a number for your comparison.

Some pc gamers, will have to spend 0$ compared to someone having to pay 400$ for ps5, in order to play non-exclusives.

Some pc gamers, will have to spend 300$ compared to someone having to pay 400$ for ps5, in order to play non-exclusives.

Some pc gamers, will have to spend 400 just like for a ps5.

And we keep going into that pattern, until you can get the most expensive PC. So the "mileage will vary," for every gamer. Based on several factors of what they are trying to do, what they are trying to build, what is going on with the part market, deals, etc . . .
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Meexa wrote:
Quote:
and then denying that somehow spending $400 on a PS5 is less than $1,500 on a midrange PC, not even one that is guaranteed to perform as well as a PS5. It is truly absurd to pretend that people only get consoles for exclusives while pointing out that they are also a cheaper way to play non-exclusives.

In attempt to not repeat myself, when I say "mileage will vary," let me give a number for your comparison.

Some pc gamers, will have to spend 0$ compared to someone having to pay 400$ for ps5, in order to play non-exclusives.

Some pc gamers, will have to spend 300$ compared to someone having to pay 400$ for ps5, in order to play non-exclusives.

Some pc gamers, will have to spend 400 just like for a ps5.

And we keep going into that pattern, until you can get the most expensive PC. So the "mileage will vary," for every gamer. Based on several factors of what they are trying to do, what they are trying to build, what is going on with the part market, deals, etc . . .

And now you're just playing make-believe fantasy land. Of course "mileage my vary" but no one spends "0$" because they have to purchase something to play games. When you're comparing a console vs a pc you'll be doing so at the price point of the console. This isn't rocket science and was even in your initial point before you moved the goalposts after how it got pointed out how absurd you were being. If someone doesn't want to play the type of games a PS5 requires they're also not spending that much on gaming PC either. It's not even part of the conversation. It's inane ramblings that have absolutely nothing to do with the original claim of
Meexa wrote:
Chris Handsome wrote:

TLDR; I whole heartly agree! In the long run it is better for the market.

There are clear reasons why someone would purchase one. None of the weird nonsense you're pulling out now changes that.
Meexa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

And now you're just playing make-believe fantasy land. Of course "mileage my vary" but no one spends "0$" because they have to purchase something to play games. When you're comparing a console vs a pc you'll be doing so at the price point of the console.

Okay, let me get more detailed. If I already had a built pc from 8th gen of consoles, and then 9th gen comes up. I don't have to spend to get another console. Therefore, the price of 0$.

EDIT: Unless of course I would want to make a upgrade (which that brings into play the upgrade example I talk about before). But if I'm fine with the current graphics and loading of the game. I wouldn't need to.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Meexa wrote:
Quote:

And now you're just playing make-believe fantasy land. Of course "mileage my vary" but no one spends "0$" because they have to purchase something to play games. When you're comparing a console vs a pc you'll be doing so at the price point of the console.

Okay, let me get more detailed. If I already had a built pc from 8th gen of consoles, and then 9th gen comes up. I don't have to spend to get another console. Therefore, the price of 0$.

EDIT: Unless of course I would want to make a upgrade (which that brings into play the upgrade example I talk about before). But if I'm fine with the current graphics and loading of the game. I wouldn't need to.

That's not how it works. You still spent money. It didn't magically turn to $0 upon the new generation of consoles. If you spent $1500 on a PC that somehow lasted from the start of the PS4 through to the PS5 and even if you did not upgrade it, it cost you $1500. Now if someone else bought a PS4 for $400, and then later upgraded to a PS5 for $500 when it came out, they still have spent $900 in comparison in the same time frame to play games. You didn't magically not spend more just because you did a single purchase instead of 2 over time. Which is the original point that you are trying so so hard to miss. Even without exclusives, if someone is purchasing something to play games, there are clear reasons why they would go for a console over a PC and cost is a big one.
Meexa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You still spent money. It didn't magically turn to $0 upon the new generation of consoles. If you spent $1500 on a PC that somehow lasted from the start of the PS4 through to the PS5 and even if you did not upgrade it, it cost you $1500. Now if someone else bought a PS4 for $400, and then later upgraded to a PS5 for $500 when it came out, they still have spent $900 in comparison in the same time frame to play games.

Okay, using that same example and depending on the pc owner's needs. They can spend 800$ on 8th gen and none on 9th gen. Still coming out 100$ cheaper, while keeping their previous library and peripherals.

EDIT: And this is still not figuring in, as into whether or not they are a multiconsole owner. We are just assuming this person buys one console per generation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3