• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
About Kadokawa's Investment in ANN

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Netero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:37 am Reply with quote
The real nightmare scenario is not that ANN reviews start caring about Kadokawa, but that Kadokawa starts caring about ANN reviews.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:46 am Reply with quote
So the real Answer to all of this.

In regards to any future news regarding Kodakawa Media i should look for another news source that is not ANN so as to remain impartial and be not influenced by your corporate sponsor.

Good to Know.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:04 am Reply with quote
You guys are getting too wary way more than needed.

Look at Lucasfilm when they were purchased by Disney, most of the staff remained and such. You just have to wait and see instead of basing everything on something that's unrelated to anime.
Albion Hero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:27 am Reply with quote
Completely different scenarios. Lucasfilm wasn't a news/review outlet bought by one of the major players they cover news and products of. Theres a reason these big corporations want to control the news: Its favorable for them to get a propaganda network to push their narratives and products. Its always what these corporate takeovers of news media end up being.
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:34 am Reply with quote
I've never relied on ANN for reviews personally so I don't really care about any bias there, but I am concerned with what another user said about reporting if there was an internal Kadokawa issue.

Albion Hero wrote:
Yep, seen this same song and dance plenty of times in gaming media. All the staff say how good their new corporate overlords are, and how they will keep their independence and all. Then 2 years later all the staff is gone and the site no longer has their original integrity. Would love to be proven wrong but I've seen this story too many times.

I always think it's funny how whenever this happens, the place will be like "no this time it's different". Like do they think we haven't heard this stuff a million times before?
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:47 am Reply with quote
JR-1 wrote:
Oh I'll trust enough that for now there won't be meddling on content reviews and general news, but this really cements ANN as a content review and press release news sites instead of a more deep dive and investigative journalism.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I don't think the concern is about ANN being unbiased when it comes to reporting on anime shows funded by Kadokawa but will ANN remain unbiased when it comes to reporting on Kadokawa as a corporation?

Going back to these two points because they sort of sum up how I feel. I'm really not concerned at all about any reviews of Kadokawa properties, nor do I think it cements the end of ANN - but I do think it's at least a little concerning in a way that's very different from Kadokawa's involvement or ownership in say, anime-related YT's or content creators (anyone under the Geek+ umbrella basically), who are way more entertainment-based.

I'm still going to keep checking in with ANN like I always have since before I even made an account, and I truly hope the longterm outcome matches the optimism of this letter to readers.
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:49 am Reply with quote
Not that I expected much from ann forums comments to this news but was still let down to see such wild and unwarranted reactions
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:14 am Reply with quote
I really hope this influx of corporate investment means that ANN’s writers and editors can finally be paid a living wage. I cringed pretty hard when I realized just what a threadbare operation ANN is behind the scenes (and has to be, given the realities of ad-driven web publishing). That’s why there’s a “⭐️ Contributor” badge next to my name in the forums, after all — I kick in like another $100 or so each year to help keep the newsroom going.
xstylus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:25 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
...Finally, even if someone at KAD demanded ANN go easy on their shows, I would refuse.

And so then comes the following question: How much power and/or influence does KAD have over your paycheck/bonuses/employment or other ways to "make things difficult" if you should happen to be "difficult" with them?

Furthermore, while the present powers-that-be at KAD might be sympatico with you today, faces change over time.
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:58 am Reply with quote
pikrodafni wrote:
Not that I expected much from ann forums comments to this news but was still let down to see such wild and unwarranted reactions

What is the acceptable reactions you wanted to see? Widespread congratulations and thanking the company?
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:02 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised that Kadokawa did this. I hope that some questions will be answered like why's Kadokawa even interested in ANN in the first place? It doesn't make a lot of sense for a huge company like this to even bother with a website such as ANN. I hope we get more information on this as time goes on.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:07 am Reply with quote
People are seriously overreacting because it's not like ANN hasn't taken investment from media companies before. Anyone who's click on a Gundam article has surely caught a glimpse of the "Bandai Namco is a shareholder" disclosure at the bottom. Not to mention all the advertorials.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:31 am Reply with quote
Minority stake but yeah.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:32 am Reply with quote
To see how a "Contractually Independent" clause can go sideways punch Unilever, Ben & Jerry's & Israel into you favorite search engine.

ANN isn't likely to run into that sort of a problem, mostly I expect that Kadokawa would like not to have to be actively involved in ANN's operations. Less trouble for their management which already has a truly full plate.

So, little will change here for quite some time. A bit more money and some new digital paint on the web site.

This from someone who read ANN at the beginning, 1998 was a LOOOONG time ago.

Mark Gosdin
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:48 am Reply with quote
I remember a website that I used to frequent called Anime on DVD.

Got bought out by Mania.com, got turned into garbage. Thankfully the former owner went and started The Fandom Post, and now not even Mania.com can be found.

Then there was Manga Entertainment UK, for 20 years the biggest anime distro in the country, A couple of years ago got bought out by Funimation, not too bad, nothing much changed but the name, and more of a focus on Funimation content and less of the other licences. Then now they're bought by Crunchroll, everything owned by Sony. Most of the UK staff is laid off, the offices, barely more than a placeholder address for UK tax purposes, and the company run out of the US, with only Crunchyroll content releases, and no more contact with UK fans.

Hell, watch what Musk does to Twitter.

Hope for the best, but expect the worst. I have no faith in these kind of buyouts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9