• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Detective is Already Dead Anime Gets 2nd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AP24

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:22 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Maybe the takeaway from the light novels selling so well should be that fans liked the light novels better than the anime and not that fans actually want more of the anime?

Which is Kadokawa's point with greenlighting S2. They didn't need to make a good anime for the first season anyway, they just need it to promote the light novel and get people buy that.

Actually it was probably also because the first season anime was a commercial success as shown in the data I posted earlier.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:00 am Reply with quote
AP24 wrote:
First season was one of the top 10 Kadokawa anime in 2021 that generated most revenue worldwide, so not surprised it got another season. When I first saw this data, I expected it would get another season.

MiniMarps wrote:
2022 has proven to us more than ever before, just how insignificant fan and critical reception is when determining which anime do and don't get renewed for further seasons. It's infuriating, really.

On one hand, I'm happy that negative critical reception doesn't necessarily prevent the adaptation or licensing of a series, because critics don't speak for the rest of us.
On the other hand, I'm not happy that profitability seems to be the primary factor.
BankaiNano

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:39 am Reply with quote
MiniMarps wrote:
2022 has proven to us more than ever before, just how insignificant fan and critical reception is when determining which anime do and don't get renewed for further seasons. It's infuriating, really.

the cold hard truth is they are a big company, if the business is successful as it showed it were, they will keep making seasons, whether you like it or not.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:24 pm Reply with quote
You know, after the anime was intensely panned by everyone, you would think they would just...not do this, but they did anyway...

And people wonder why the anime industry is in such a trainwreck situation...any normal industry would just not do a second season...
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:18 pm Reply with quote
MiniMarps wrote:

Or maybe the fan reception wasn't as bad as you thought. I liked it and I know of a lot of other people that like it. It's 6.3/10 on MAL. That's a "fine" to "good" rating
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Kuroi Ren wrote:
MiniMarps wrote:

Or maybe the fan reception wasn't as bad as you thought. I liked it and I know of a lot of other people that like it. It's 6.3/10 on MAL. That's a "fine" to "good" rating

I mean, audience ratings for any site like MAL or IMDB to even RT is easily manipulated and not to be taken seriously.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:57 pm Reply with quote
camseyeview140 wrote:
Kuroi Ren wrote:
MiniMarps wrote:

I mean, audience ratings for any site like MAL or IMDB to even RT is easily manipulated and not to be taken seriously.

Also, the way MAL ratings work, it tends to be weighted a bit higher than you expect since a lot of people consider 7 the baseline score (and there tend to be a lot who rate shows 10 for reasons). In my opinion, I find that average MAL ratings are basically:
- Less than 6: bad to terrible
- 6-6.5: many people didn't like it
- 6.5-7.25: some liked it, some hated it, many thought it was fine
- 7.25-8: many people liked it
- 8+: usually a very good show
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:19 pm Reply with quote
What's said in the previous few posts is why I usually look at [url]ranking[/url] rather than [url]rating[/url] as a more trustworthy measuring stick on MAL. 6.3 may not seem that low on rating, but that puts the series in the 7.3k range on ranking, which is in the bottom half despite it being a top 10% (or near top 10%) title on popularity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2