• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Summer 2022 Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:40 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Oh Uncle From Another World is getting reviews? It hasn't shown up in Your Score these last two weeks so I thought ANN didn't consider it to be streaming or something (I've no idea of the sourcing of the subs I downloaded so I assumed they were fan-subbed)

Uncle is streaming weekly on Netflix starting on Wednesday, just apparently on a two-week delay. Happy to see that one got voted in, as it looks like it might have a lot of comment-worthy content.

On other matters, number me among those surprised and a little disappointed that Vermeil didn't make it, as its first two episodes certainly feel more comment-worthy than Harem's do (despite an interesting twist in ep 2 of the latter). I suspect that those who voted for Harem expecting it to be the total trash-fest that World End Harem was a couple of seasons ago are going to be disappointed.

Not surprised, but a little disappointed, that neither Prima Doll nor Phantom of the Idol made the cut. (But then, performing arts-focuses shows have a poor track record this season beyond Love Live.) None of the top vote-getters was a major surprise, either.

Probably most looking forward to Grant's reactions to Yakuza's Guide to Babysitting, especially given the surprisingly strong episode 2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:25 am Reply with quote
I'm both surprised and not surprised that Prima Doll didn't make the cut. On the one hand, Key stuff usually does get picked up. But on the other, I haven't seen like any advertising or hype for that show, to the point that I (self proclaimed massive Key fan) didn't even know about it till I saw the first streaming review. Not sure if it's not getting attention because it doesn't have Maeda's name attached to it - or the opposite, that Charlotte and Kamisama killed everyone's goodwill toward Key anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:28 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Oh Uncle From Another World is getting reviews? ...

I heard the formal subs are going to run two weeks behind, so they will start streaming with ep 1 on July 20th.

On a different note, I saw Summer Time Render in the voting, but it didn't make it. I was wondering if that could be reviewed at all, since it officially runs in Japan but not outside of Asia. Yet, anyway. They let some eps run on Youtube, maybe to get more publicity without risking the 'good name' of their North American channel? Confused Sad Confused

I guess I'll just go grumble in my corner, as I don't like to use other means.

Last edited by Nom De Plume De Fanboy on Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
T.A. Barnhart

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:30 am Reply with quote
best show i've seen so far, and only one reviewer. such a different vibe, perhaps because of the soundtrack. there are so many cookie-cutter, cliché-ridden anime, and this is one that tries for something different. i'm glad at least one person is paying attention to it.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I wish Utawarerumono was being covered, but not shocked that it didn't make it. Shame too- this story has a fair amount of meat on its bones, and I would really recommend it...with the caveat that you play/watch the prequel which isn't great (imo).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Given that Dragon Quest will be over sometime this season, I suppose we will never get a review. Unless maybe they do it in batches of around 25 episodes each.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm also sad Utawarerumono didn't make it, but I'm guessing they've got a shortage of reviewers who are familiar with the previous entries in the franchise, and this definitely isn't the place to start if you're new.

Looks like everything else I'm interested in made it, though, so that's nice.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:26 pm Reply with quote
T.A. Barnhart wrote:
best show i've seen so far, and only one reviewer. such a different vibe, perhaps because of the soundtrack. there are so many cookie-cutter, cliché-ridden anime, and this is one that tries for something different. i'm glad at least one person is paying attention to it.

Not sure what show you're referring to, but Episode Reviews have always only been assigned 1 reviewer per show. It doesn't mean nobody else was interested in that title, just that that individual was chosen by the chief editor to cover it.
Mimas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:30 pm Reply with quote
There goes the last chance of Dragon Quest getting weekly reviews. If we were to be getting chunk reviews for it, I think we would have gotten them by now as well, so I doubt that will happen. It is possible we could get a full series review, but it certainly couldn't give the series any depth of coverage to have a review of around 100 episodes. ANN doesn't seem to be covering past volume 1 of the manga either, so I guess it is just time to give up hope on the title getting any coverage here.

I didn't vote for Fuuto PI as to not water down my Dragon Quest Adventure of Dai vote, but I am glad that it made it in. Both manga are by the same author. I figured it being a sequel to a Kamen Rider series not released in English and coming out too late in the season for the preview (It doesn't seem like anyone at ANN was at the show premier at Anime Expo) would be strikes against it. Looks to be a fun series so I am looking forward to it.
Blazi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm very happy to see Yurei Deco on this Very Happy
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Huh, surprised that Call of the Night was so highly requested. I guess Hi-dive picked yet another winner of the season.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Not surprised, but a little disappointed, that neither Prima Doll nor Phantom of the Idol made the cut. (But then, performing arts-focuses shows have a poor track record this season beyond Love Live.)....

The other performing arts show not to make it was Luminous Witches, which will either pleasantly surprise or highly disappoint (depending on point of view) by not being (at least for Episodes 1 and 2) an ecchi fan service show unlike its "parent" show Strike Witches.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:21 pm Reply with quote
MaritLage wrote:
i found Vermeil on a feminist blog , of all places ! it was in the nightmare bin lol

What are you even talking about? Confused
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Most of my picks look like they made it, though would have like to have seen Vermeil, Prima Doll and Phantom of the Idol as well.

Surprised Isekai Life made the cut. I haven't seen today's episode, but so far I'm not too enamored with it. Between the two isekai's with slimes this season, I would have thought Black Summoner would have been picked.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
...On other matters, number me among those surprised and a little disappointed that Vermeil didn't make it, as its first two episodes certainly feel more comment-worthy than Harem's do (despite an interesting twist in ep 2 of the latter). I suspect that those who voted for Harem expecting it to be the total trash-fest that World End Harem was a couple of seasons ago are going to be disappointed....
I am tending to agree, so here's a thought: next season you could blog what you think is the most commentary-worthy (trash) show before the voting begins! I would definitely take it into consideration because you, sir, have taste.... Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3