• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Capcom Reveals Resident Evil 4 Remake for March 2023 Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:36 pm Reply with quote
BrosefAmelion wrote:
I am ready to be called a pervert again!

I'm afraid you'll have to keep waiting as they gave Ashely and Ada pants judging by the trailer so chances are those elements are gone as most people were expecting to happen. It'll probably be the more grounded, dreary version of 4 that Resident Evil 2 and 3's remakes were for their respective games: so no pervert stuff, no campy jokes and dialog, etc.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I understand with RE2 and 3, as they are originally PS1 games, but I've heard over and over from various people that RE4 still holds up just fine, even today. Especially with the HD Remaster(same with the REmake). RE4 is maybe the most lauded title in the franchise, and this remake is looking to be another overly-edgy rehash in order to create a new continuity with the RE2 remake Leon. Don't get me wrong, the 2019 RE2 is excellent, but RE3 was definitely not on par with it, so I can't really trust that yet another remake is going to be great or necessary.
Allison Addams

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Remaking RE 4 is such a fools errand and is unnecessary.

It still is great and holds up well, and it's also been put on damn near every platform imaginable.

I also already don't like how they're trying to have it more in tone with the latest remakes because that's robbing of a lot of the original's charm.

RE 4 was like the nigh perfect blend of splatterhouse ultraviolence and b-movie camp. Its always been a rather goofy series, so RE 4 just decided to completely embrace that and its essentially when it went all Evil Dead with the franchise.

You do not need to take seriously a game that has a little man in a Napoleon cosplay throwing temper tantrums.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:56 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
no campy jokes and dialog, etc.

The RE3 remake had Carlos call Jill a tall glass of water (or whatever it was) in his introduction and later Jill calls Nemesis a bitch mocking how he can’t swim. I’m pretty sure there still be some campy dialog.

Beatdigga wrote:
I still would rather they remade Code Veronica, given it was the last one in the series to use the traditional tank controls

4 & 5 still had Tank Controls.

Beatdigga wrote:

and frankly could use the remake. Meanwhile 4, and I like 4 a great deal when I played it, has been ported to damn near anything. The only game to be ported more has been the original Doom

Damn I still thought SF2 had this all locked up.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I really don't see the point in remaking RE4, you can simply play the original one, or one of the 100 rereleases.
The remakes of the other RE games made sense, as they are more or less completely new experiences. I doubt that will be the case for RE4 though and if it will be, most likely for the worse.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:59 am Reply with quote
When it comes to ports, DOOM is the all-time champion of running on stuff you wouldn't expect.

SF II vs. RE4 is admittedly closer than one would think. Remember the Brazilian Zeebo? It had a port of RE4 (based on the mobile version apparently). Not to mention the VR version which just came out what, a year ago?

Then again, SFII does have a slot machine. And that pinball machine from way back when where they couldn't use the original artwork and had to come up with some rather...poorly done substitute art.
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:
I really don't see the point in remaking RE4, you can simply play the original one, or one of the 100 rereleases.

The safest assumption is money. If you want to be cynical you can also view it an excuse to censor and retcon older media to fit modern sensibilities. The VR version of RE4 had a ton of stuff removed from it as well so I can only assume that's the angle they'll take for this version. I'm interested in seeing how they'll do the eventual Code Veronica remake because they're going to have to completely rewrite Alfred and Alexei if that's their concern.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

SF II vs. RE4 is admittedly closer than one would think. Remember the Brazilian Zeebo?

No but I now remember this one of the platforms it was ported to that made me ask “WTF is a Zeebo”.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Allison Addams wrote:
Remaking RE 4 is such a fools errand and is unnecessary.

It still is great and holds up well, and it's also been put on damn near every platform imaginable.

I also already don't like how they're trying to have it more in tone with the latest remakes because that's robbing of a lot of the original's charm.

RE 4 was like the nigh perfect blend of splatterhouse ultraviolence and b-movie camp. Its always been a rather goofy series, so RE 4 just decided to completely embrace that and its essentially when it went all Evil Dead with the franchise.

You do not need to take seriously a game that has a little man in a Napoleon cosplay throwing temper tantrums.

No you don't but can we address a coupple of gameplay issues that are very dated?
1. You can not freely move/shoot
2. QTE's
Now at the time these were not a big an issue, since resident evil needed an overhaul/breakaway from it's previous mold. However those two glaring issues I mentioned, are why I hardly revisit RE4 over older games in the series such as Re1 remake or the OG version of Re2-3 & Code Veronica.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2