• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Daman Mills Issues Statement About Fabricated Sexual Misconduct Allegations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
mrsatan wrote:
It wasn't fabricated.
Kid had the texts and pics to prove it.

Not for this story per se but the following is a general point: One could somehow falsify a screen-shot to the point that the texts/pics are also fake.

You don't even need to falsify a screenshot of a web page. You can just edit the page then take a legitimate screenshot of your edit.

Gem-Bug wrote:
This is the main takeaway for me. This whole thing has become so shady on either side that it's hard not to be upset about what it means for other folks in the future. Confused

I think you've got the direction here backwards. This case is only pointing out a giant flaw that already existed which is that you can't trust everything you see online. Claims should always be taken seriously, but guilt must be proven. All we're seeing here is that an image of a message isn't adequate to draw a conclusion.
Etheiria

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And no one reached out to me about Daman being suicidal, or pressured me to retract. I don’t even know where people came up with that one, but it’s not true.

Is ANN going to respond to this? It's very suspicious that this new Google doc appears to have been written in direct response to what Lynzee wrote on Twitter.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Okay, considering everything:

It makes me wonder what kind of beef "Duncan" had with Daman to begin with to start this whole elabroate thing, which blew up completely. Was he snubbed at a con or something and he and a few friends decided to get revenge? Or was he homophobic and picked the first one he could think of to get at the peak of his game?

I'm actually surprised Daman isn't filing a lawsuit for defamination on "Duncan". Now please note, I'm looking at all the articles and such and while I'm seeing a man's career going down, Daman has been the most mature in the whole thing. So yeah, that's been bothering me on why this started in the first place.
Etheiria

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:55 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
Daman isn't filing a lawsuit for defamination on "Duncan". Now please note, I'm looking at all the articles and such and while I'm seeing a man's career going down, Daman has been the most mature in the whole thing. So yeah, that's been bothering me on why this started in the first place.

Laughing

If you can look past the cease and desist, Daman shared what has happening (and the legal communications) with his voice actor friends, one of which threatened ANN that they would have to report on his suicide if they didn't take down their article.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Etheiria wrote:
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
Daman isn't filing a lawsuit for defamination on "Duncan". Now please note, I'm looking at all the articles and such and while I'm seeing a man's career going down, Daman has been the most mature in the whole thing. So yeah, that's been bothering me on why this started in the first place.

Laughing

If you can look past the cease and desist, Daman shared what has happening (and the legal communications) with his voice actor friends, one of which threatened ANN that they would have to report on his suicide if they didn't take down their article.

Actually I read the articles before this like many of us here have. The reason I said what I did, although you cut some of it off, was after all is said and done, his career was ruined by this and had it not been fabricated, he'd still be working. He has a case.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Etheiria wrote:
Quote:
And no one reached out to me about Daman being suicidal, or pressured me to retract. I don’t even know where people came up with that one, but it’s not true.

Is ANN going to respond to this? It's very suspicious that this new Google doc appears to have been written in direct response to what Lynzee wrote on Twitter.

I don't really need to, no one has ever stated that this was something Duncan was told. It was told to our staff personally. The doc author is probably responding to how things circulate on Twitter. Various elements have been repeated and changed over time to the point they aren't accurate.

If this is a new doc, then I can't personally verify that Duncan wrote it. Much of the info is similar to when he first stated the information was falsified. I don't really understand his actions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:32 pm Reply with quote
No matter what's said at this point, this whole case has been such a mess that people who already firmly believe in one side aren't likely to change. Like I want to take Duncan's retraction at face value given its firm and specific wording but because of everything else that transpired prior (whether official statements or vague implications), I just... really don't know how to feel even a month later.
Dynamo-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Move along nothing to see here folks in how people should feel about it. Unless you like beating dead horses to pulp I guess.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:43 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

I think you've got the direction here backwards. This case is only pointing out a giant flaw that already existed which is that you can't trust everything you see online. Claims should always be taken seriously, but guilt must be proven. All we're seeing here is that an image of a message isn't adequate to draw a conclusion.
Laughing

Nah, I think Gem-Bug has the right of it; even when claims are taken seriously, “proving guilt” is already an uphill battle, and most of the time typically don’t end in convictions, especially if the victims are making their claims long after the incident when physical evidence is moot and it devolves into a game of “he said, she said”. High-profile cases like this, that just add more fuel to the “see??? False claims do exist!” flames, don’t really help anything so much as they just make an already pretty bad situation just that much worse to deal with, especially since, as others have pointed out, false claims are statistical anomalies. We really should be treating them more like the odds of getting hit by lightning, rather than a commonplace occurrence; could it be? Yes. Is it likely? No. Go with the more likely option.
Etheiria

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:46 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
I don't really need to, no one has ever stated that this was something Duncan was told. It was told to our staff personally. The doc author is probably responding to how things circulate on Twitter. Various elements have been repeated and changed over time to the point they aren't accurate.

If this is a new doc, then I can't personally verify that Duncan wrote it. Much of the info is similar to when he first stated the information was falsified. I don't really understand his actions.

CBR published their article on April 15th. This Google doc is timestamped April 20th. It wasn't included in the original article and only appeared when CBR updated it on April 25th. Did you have anything to say about this part? You said he was doxed, but they are also disputing that too.

Quote:
I literally haven’t heard from them in months. I also haven’t been contacted by anyone in the industry about any of this. I don’t even think they know who I am?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:14 pm Reply with quote
He was doxxed, but it doesn't necessitate that industry people looked at doxxed info. People in the industry do know his identity, but I can't say definitely that he knows that they know.

I'm taking off for the evening.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:36 pm Reply with quote
This whole thing is such a nightmare...
Etheiria

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:43 pm Reply with quote
On Twitter, Daman said that Duncan had not been contacted by him or his attorney since ANN first published their article on March 8th. Duncan claims that after this all got started, Daman's attorney sent screenshots that proved what he said was false.

The way this is worded sounds like Daman and Duncan were in communication after the article was published. I'm also not seeing where these alleged screen shots disproving the allegations were published. Where did this information come from, is ANN aware of any such screen shots?

Quote:
At no point in that letter did my attorney ask Duncan for a retraction. And neither myself, my attorney, or any representatives of mine have spoken to him after the allegations were published. Any claims to the contrary are untrue. (6/8)

Quote:
I didn’t know how to stop this once it started. I kind of hoped that when Daman’s attorney sent those screenshots that proved what I said wasn’t true, the story would stop, but I guess it was too late for any of us to stop it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Whether it is a false accusation or a false conviction, the damage never truly goes away.

As to the lack of a lawsuit, well that is an easy one. You can't squeeze water from a rock. Usually it isn't worth suing someone who isn't rich or who can't pay. You are going to have to pay for your lawyer. What is good about getting a big judgement, but know you are never going to receive it and to have to pay for your own lawyer fees on top of that.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate and accept this statement. Whatever did or didn’t happen between these two individuals is none of our business. And it’s a shame it had to be brought into the public eye at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4