• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Streams English Dubs for Aharen-san wa Hakarenai, Estab Life: Great Escape, Kaguya

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ak Animax

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:50 pm Reply with quote
So Sony & Crunchyroll decided to go texas route for Voice casting the English voice selected via Cronyism in selection of voice actors
For producing English dubs.....!!!! For their main hard hitting shows!!

All because they don't want to produce dubs under union contract / all because voice actors in texas are cheaper than California ( where dubs are of high quality quality)

Mann!!! The English dubs produced at texas are so uncomfortable and cringe // their so called pro American localisation / average voice acting quality /
All because of some higher ups at Funimation that are now in crunchyroll and well known old Funimation extremist voice actors!!! Anime cry
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Reba Buhr, the English actress for Myne in Ascendance of a Bookworm said she isn’t working for Crunchyroll anymore due to wages. As well as Joe Zieja who voices Otto, said he is no longer working on anime anymore since 2020 due to wages. This season is probably gonna see numerous recasts, unfortunately, unless Crunchyroll will listen to the actors and raise wages.
https://twitter.com/rebabuhr/status/1501409793390436354
https://twitter.com/JoeZieja/status/1508520216736649218
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Ak Animax wrote:
So Sony & Crunchyroll decided to go texas route for Voice casting the English voice selected via Cronyism in selection of voice actors
For producing English dubs.....!!!! For their main hard hitting shows!!

All because they don't want to produce dubs under union contract / all because voice actors in texas are cheaper than California ( where dubs are of high quality quality)

Mann!!! The English dubs produced at texas are so uncomfortable and cringe // their so called pro American localisation / average voice acting quality /
All because of some higher ups at Funimation that are now in crunchyroll and well known old Funimation extremist voice actors!!! Anime cry
The quality of the dubs have nothing to do with their pay rate. The Texas dubbing scene are also professional actors and translators who are trying their best to produce a quality product and deserve higher pay and better treatment as much as LA dub VAs. You're not helping the cause to unionize dubs by trashing all Texas dubs just because you're still mad about Miss Kobayashi's dub that's five years old now.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:06 pm Reply with quote
So basically dubbing all the major shows, pretty much, meaning we're more or less back to how it used to be between Crunchyroll and Funimation.

I would think it would be easier to mange this output by continuing to outsource to other studios, which seemed to work really well, unless they expect that returning to record in the studio will mean they can better handle it and get the dubs out faster like they are already with Spy x Family. But using other studios definitely lent to some nice variety and great dubs.

I'm curious what this means for LA VA's or VA's from anywhere other than Texas if they refrain from remote recording moving forward. I mean, I would assume Shield Hero and any sequel to a CR show will still be an LA dub if only because the majority of the cast are LA VA's. Could just be the case where an LA VA gets treated like a guest or special appearance in a Funi dub.

I'm also glad to see them finally dubbing new Ancient Magus Bride content. Now if they could just go back to whatever's left undubbed...and the Tanya movie, too, I think?
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
There's this as well, certainly I don't wanna be seeing the same names over and over again from CR's local VA pool for the main characters of each show, but I'm also wondering if this will affect casting for sequel shows, like Date A Live or Kaguya-sama.

I don't see how LA is any more guilty of that then Texas, especially when there were some creative castings for CR's LA shows, but ultimately I'm sure they'll cast who they feel is right for the parts.
LegitPancake wrote:
Reba Buhr, the English actress for Myne in Ascendance of a Bookworm said she isn’t working for Crunchyroll anymore due to wages. As well as Joe Zieja who voices Otto, said he is no longer working on anime anymore since 2020 due to wages. This season is probably gonna see numerous recasts, unfortunately, unless Crunchyroll will listen to the actors and raise wages.

That sucks. Especially since we're talking about the lead characters' VA.

Last edited by MFrontier on Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:08 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
There's this as well, certainly I don't wanna be seeing the same names over and over again from CR's local VA pool for the main characters of each show, but I'm also wondering if this will affect casting for sequel shows, like Date A Live or Kaguya-sama.

I don't see how LA is any more guilty of that then Texas

I never said they were, but it's always more interesting seeing a mix of talents and names you don't expect to pop up. One of the advantages of remote recording.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I never said they were, but it's always more interesting seeing a mix of talents and names you don't expect to pop up. One of the advantages of remote recording.

I would say the same for the past few CR seasonal dubs! Hopefully that continues moving forward.
Farhanawesome

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:28 pm Reply with quote

And want about Japanese seiyuu ? in Japan, they also use the same seiyuu over and over. like this season Hanakana appear on Love after world domination.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Farhanawesome wrote:
And want about Japanese seiyuu ? in Japan, they also use the same seiyuu over and over. like this season Hanakana appear on Love after world domination.

I think Hanazawa is in three shows this season (Aharen-san, Shield Hero, and Love after World Domination).
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Farhanawesome wrote:

I think Aoi Yuki was in like 17 shows last year.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:58 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
So basically dubbing all the major shows, pretty much, meaning we're more or less back to how it used to be between Crunchyroll and Funimation.

I would think it would be easier to mange this output by continuing to outsource to other studios, which seemed to work really well, unless they expect that returning to record in the studio will mean they can better handle it and get the dubs out faster like they are already with Spy x Family. But using other studios definitely lent to some nice variety and great dubs.

I'm curious what this means for LA VA's or VA's from anywhere other than Texas if they refrain from remote recording moving forward. I mean, I would assume Shield Hero and any sequel to a CR show will still be an LA dub if only because the majority of the cast are LA VA's. Could just be the case where an LA VA gets treated like a guest or special appearance in a Funi dub.

I'm also glad to see them finally dubbing new Ancient Magus Bride content. Now if they could just go back to whatever's left undubbed...and the Tanya movie, too, I think?

I don't see how LA is any more guilty of that then Texas, especially when there were some creative castings for CR's LA shows, but ultimately I'm sure they'll cast who they feel is right for the parts.
LegitPancake wrote:

That sucks. Especially since we're talking about the lead characters' VA.

Morgan Lea said that Sound Cadence, Kocha Sound, and others can still be hired and still use remote recording.
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:06 pm Reply with quote
So all you posters who want to save the overworked, starving, and homeless voice actors ( maybe even one step away from a life of crime), you guy willing to pay higher fees!

I personally wouldn't mind paying more; I feel $12.00 to $15.00 a month would be about right. Especially, if they continued to dub this many shows that they just announced.

Although, they sure better fix that nasty problem I have when selecting an episode from watchlist! (watching those orange dots going around and around with no show ever streaming!)

Also, please adapt Funimation player; its way better! ( it actually mimics Netflix's player and, thus, easier to move back and forth in.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:51 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Ooh, I didn't expect Love Live Nijigasaki 2 to get a dub so quickly considering how long it took for the first season to get dubbed. Looking forward to it! Here's hoping Okratron gets brought back to dub it, since their dub for Nijigaku is great!

Very good news for me. Now I just wonder when Superstar will get dubbed. Think they'll do both seasons back to back? I'm hoping for the first season they'll drop all the dubbed episodes at once.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:54 pm Reply with quote
YesNoMaybe wrote:
So all you posters who want to save the overworked, starving, and homeless voice actors ( maybe even one step away from a life of crime), you guy willing to pay higher fees!
I'm not sure why you're framing this as a gotcha question? I would think most anime dub fans would be willing to pay more if it goes to better working conditions.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:19 pm Reply with quote
While I obviously can watch them on my way bus ride(s) to/from work on my phone, would be nice if all of the anime that I am watching this season streamed before I had to leave for work. That way it would be easier for me to watched a subbed version in/on tab and the Eng. version in/on another.
Vladimir Morales

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Josh Grelle, please come back for Date A Live. We all miss you.[/i]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3