• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kadokawa Anime Producers Want Isekai To Take Over the World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:33 pm Reply with quote
jolygamer wrote:
So, they’re starting make anime for the west.I hope it’s not meaning for the Twitter,woke and,and,and?I am really afraid for anime industry

The fact that Spider Isekai and Rising of the Shield Hero are some of Crunchyroll's top shows means that the woke Twitter leftists that you're seemingly being afraid of are a minority even in the west.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Well this is kinda like a double edge sword. I'm thrilled that they will be giving real attention to overseas viewers but the fact that they are using "isekai" as a hook is not good. Isekai are a dime a dozen and the vast majority are just not good.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:41 pm Reply with quote
jolygamer wrote:
So, they’re starting make anime for the west.I hope it’s not meaning for the Twitter,woke and,and,and?I am really afraid for anime industry

Kadokawa wants to appeal to all the people around the world who loved stuff like Sword Art Online, Konosuba, Shield Hero, Re:Zero, Slime, Youjo Senki , Mushoku Tensei, and many other titles which are absolutely not the target audience of the people you are describing They are not going to make things for people who are not their target demographic.

Regardless, the article seems to be referring to making assets and promotional material readily available to overseas companies to use to promote their works better, and having faster and wider translations available in more markets to reach more people. The promotional and marketing side of things, not production.
Bisuketto

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Could be good they're factoring overseas in their reasoning. As stated above a couple series which did very well in the west and other areas could potentially have gotten a greater chance at life if they were produced now.

Also..

Ermat_46 wrote:

The fact that Spider Isekai and Rising of the Shield Hero are some of Crunchyroll's top shows means that the woke Twitter leftists that you're seemingly being afraid of are a minority even in the west.

Did something go on with Spider? I don't recall anyone going after it.
jolygamer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I am afraid,Shield hero has change scenes, rewrite dialogues, reduce roftalia breasts
made a moron out of the main character.They change it because the anime produced crunchyroll ,and who did they listen to ,right twitter and new Kadokawa will be make anime for the west
kuma991

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Every story was isekai before 'isekai' was a thing. Incidentally, more stories used to be actually bearable before everything became isekai. So, please no. Isekai feels like the death of creativity and only like a good way to filter out the brain dead knock-offs.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Bisuketto wrote:
Could be good they're factoring overseas in their reasoning. As stated above a couple series which did very well in the west and other areas could potentially have gotten a greater chance at life if they were produced now.

Also..

Ermat_46 wrote:

Did something go on with Spider? I don't recall anyone going after it.

No. But Spider Isekai has nothing to do with the woke Twitter leftist points about feminism, trans representation, etc. (topics which that person seems to be afraid of)
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:53 pm Reply with quote
jolygamer wrote:

Kadokawa wants to make money, and lots of it. Those twitter guys are not the ones that bring the big bucks to the table, most of them don't even watch anime. Kadokawa are looking for the pockets of overseas otakus, the ones that watch isekai anime.

Making anime for the twiiter crowd will only make them lose money and lose interests in west audience fast.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:02 pm Reply with quote
jolygamer wrote:
Yes, I am afraid,Shield hero has change scenes, rewrite dialogues, reduce roftalia breasts
made a moron out of the main character.They change it because the anime produced crunchyroll ,and who did they listen to ,right twitter and new Kadokawa will be make anime for the west

You act like anime working with the west is new. Let's just pretend that Big O, IGPX anything exclusive on Netflix, and other stuff does not exist. They changed scenes because they were adapting a different version. Reducing breast size is extremely subjective as censorship as well. They didn't listen to twitter. The Twitter mobs never even heard of the anime before it aired.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I wish there was more of this sort of treatment for Pretty Cure and Pretty Rhythm. As in, prioritize getting it legally streamed overseas. IMO it's much more worth it than the glut of isekais that are male power fantasies (none of which I've watched, but hearing about twenty male protagonists with harems and possibly slaves just seems less worth it than anime about girls following their inner courage and chasing their dreams, and sometimes saving the world while doing so).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I for one am burnt out on Isekai series. One or two Isekai series is ok but when you have like 5-10 a season, well we saw what happend to Guitar Hero. It's one reason I like RetroCrush a lot (granted we've had Isekai in the old days too).

I only wish the Monster Girls/Men fad lasted a little longer since that genre is still pretty fresh. What we need now is more Space Opera shows IMO and I've only seen a few of those.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:25 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
I for one am burnt out on Isekai series. One or two Isekai series is ok but when you have like 5-10 a season, well we saw what happend to Guitar Hero. It's one reason I like RetroCrush a lot (granted we've had Isekai in the old days too).

I only wish the Monster Girls/Men fad lasted a little longer since that genre is still pretty fresh. What we need now is more Space Opera shows IMO and I've only seen a few of those.

I personally wish the new fad was contemporary anime. Non slice of life stuff set in society without any supernatural things. Stuff like great pretender, monster, and sanctuary. I also wish we would get more anime starring adults. I stopped being in high school tears ago. I know Japan has an obsession with school due to their work life, but I really like seeing anime characters 21 and above. It's why Yakuza is so appealing to me.
Hal14

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:27 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:

The main reason why stuff like guitar hero died out isn't really because too many games were being made but rather roo many peripherals necessary to play each game made it too expensive for the average consumer.
However, with anime and isekai, streaming not only makes it easy to watch 5-10 a season, it knid of encourages you to do so. So that you can get your moneys worth, at least in theory. There is a good reason why crunchyroll and billibilli, were brought up. We will likely see more streaming sights co-produce Kadokawa light novels
evan77

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I was a little worried about the partnership agreement between Tencent and kadokawa because the Japanese forums also said that kadokawa might have to censor the anime in the future in order for kadokawa anime to be broadcast in China, but it seems that China's regulations In recent days have been harder than before, and even Fortnite and Yahoo Formally out of reach in China, so it is almost impossible for kadokawa to profit from China.
I also hope that in the next few years the Western market for the anime and manga industry will be larger than China so that anime makers do not have to censor anime for China.
I know that the West has its own problems. It's full of WOKE people, but apparently kadokawa pays attention to how much they watch anime on streaming services like crunchyroll rather than Twitter
Isekai is also like shonen jump, there are still a lot of amazing stories

With watching your favorite anime, you can help to make next season.
Ten years ago, you could never experience such a thing outside of Japan
It feels weird

[EDIT: Removed attempt to dodge around site filters. Don't try that again. - Key]
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
jolygamer wrote:

Kadokawa wants to make money, and lots of it. Those twitter guys are not the ones that bring the big bucks to the table, most of them don't even watch anime. Kadokawa are looking for the pockets of overseas otakus, the ones that watch isekai anime.

Making anime for the twiiter crowd will only make them lose money and lose interests in west audience fast.

One way that they could make more Western-appealing anime without Shounen Jump Weekly-ing it, in theory, would be to have more original IPs that have more of a European or American setting. Not sure what the best approach to appealing to Western audiences without 4kids-ing it would be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5