• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Series Gets Comic Series, Prequel Novel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:02 am Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
Again, how can you judge something if there is not trailer? Wait for a trailer to job, then make a judgement. The writer they have for the comic is a really good indie writer, so I can imagine it will be better than the boring manga versions.

No thanks, I'm fine, I don't need the american version of Cowboy Bebop. Also I hate most of american comics anyway, so...
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:06 am Reply with quote
^

Well, that's fine. You realizs that Cowboy Bebop was already very American, right? Also, saying you hate American comics is kind of stupid. If you are talking about the superhero stuff, I understand. But indie comics like lucifer, fables, Chew, and others are pretty much just like manga. They all started and ended.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:12 am Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:

Well, that's fine. You realizs that Cowboy Bebop was already very American, right? Also, saying you hate American comics is kind of stupid. If you are talking about the superhero stuff, I understand. But indie comics like lucifer, fables, Chew, and others are pretty much just like manga. They all started and ended.

Most modern indie american comics are also terrible...but that's just me (probably).
Also Cowboy Bebop was american in the same way The magnificent 7 was japanese! Very Happy
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:35 am Reply with quote
Going from anime, to live-action Netflix show, to American comic book.
Mamono Hunter Yo Bro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:46 am Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
How do you guys just judge something before even a trailer comes out?

I just don't care for live action adaptations, simple as that. Even if it's based on an anime, comic or a video game. I was even praising how western comics are doing a great job adapting certain titles. It was an innocuous opinion. How do you guys just judge someone for having an opinion?

Last edited by Mamono Hunter Yo Bro on Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:48 am Reply with quote
Mamono Hunter Yo Bro wrote:
RockSplash wrote:

I just don't care for live action adaptations. Simple as that. Even if it's based on an anime, comic or a video game. I was even praising the comic adaptations, so it was an innocuous opinion. How do you guys just judge someone for having an opinion?

I apologize. I assumed you were one of the people that only like certain live actions. sorry to offend you.
Mamono Hunter Yo Bro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:50 am Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:

I apologize. I assumed you were one of the people that only like certain live actions. sorry to offend you.

No worries! We talked it out and we're good. Cool I'm not offended, but I completely understand how exhausting it can be discussing this stuff.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was known but I guess not based on some posts , but they made a Manga adaptation a long ago. It was done by the majority of the team that did the anime, at least Dai Saito was directly involved . So you can always go back and read that .
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:19 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:

Because it already looks horrible by what we've watched from the casting and pictures alone?
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:21 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
RockSplash wrote:

Because it already looks horrible by what we've watched from the casting and pictures alone?

And it's produced by Netflix...
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:53 pm Reply with quote
The irony that Netflix is the one most heavily invested in live-action anime adaptations, while at the same time, thanks to Death Note, the only adaptation as well-known and reviled as DB Evolution, the one anime fans trust the least.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:00 pm Reply with quote
crh1985 wrote:
This is them just putting all there eggs in one basket again and when it all comes down from one thing or another{i hope it is good but not holding my breath}) then it will be because of the fans how loved the original (seeing the original only aired 6 or so episodes in Japan when it first aired) and not bad choices for scripting and hiring people that tell off the fans there selling it to (that has already happened) and having no real love for what there trying to remaking it makes a bad anything

So it's ok for "fans" to harass an actress but the actress can't speak back? Rolling Eyes
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:03 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Cardcaptor Takato"]
crh1985 wrote:
This is them just putting all there eggs in one basket again and when it all comes down from one thing or another{i hope it is good but not holding my breath}) then it will be because of the fans how loved the original (seeing the original only aired 6 or so episodes in Japan when it first aired) and not bad choices for scripting and hiring people that tell off the fans there selling it to (that has already happened) and having no real love for what there trying to remaking it makes a bad anything

So it's ok for "fans" to harass an actress but the actress can't speak back? Rolling Eyes[/quote

This. Like, it feels like there is love and effort put into this. Yoko is doing music, they got Wattanabe on as producer, and rumor has it some of the english dub may have cameos(it would be cool if they got Steve Blum to be someone spike talks to). It fels like effort.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Whenever people ask how you can judge something before it's out I always think of that one comic of a guy squatting over another guy's dinner plate and the guy eating dinner asking "Why are you crapping on my plate?" and the other guy responding "How do you know it's crap if it's not out yet?" I believe there's enough context surrounding the production, and informational material out there to form a solid pre-judgement of the situation. We've seen multiple interviews from the writers and cast to get an understanding of what their intent and direction with this show is and seen enough on-set photos and videos to make an informed decision on if this is going to be worth our own individual time or not.

As far as live-action adaptions go, I honestly think The Louse House live-action movie is looking better and has more love put into it going off the trailer and casting choices alone. One seems to embrace and respect the source material while the other seems to disregard or even dislike it. I don't think live-action has to be inherently bad, but there's certainly multiple various ways productions can go and how it can be handled. Netflix does seem to be putting their eggs all into one basket on this project and branching it out into an actual franchise to milk for years to come.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:08 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
Whenever people ask how you can judge something before it's out I always think of that one comic of a guy squatting over another guy's dinner plate and the guy eating dinner asking "Why are you crapping on my plate?" and the other guy responding "How do you know it's crap if it's not out yet?" I believe there's enough context surrounding the production, and informational material out there to form a solid pre-judgement of the situation. We've seen multiple interviews from the writers and cast to get an understanding of what their intent and direction with this show is and seen enough on-set photos and videos to make an informed decision on if this is going to be worth our own individual time or not.

As far as live-action adaptions go, I honestly think The Louse House live-action movie is looking better and has more love put into it going off the trailer and casting choices alone. One seems to embrace and respect the source material while the other seems to disregard or even dislike it. I don't think live-action has to be inherently bad, but there's certainly multiple various ways productions can go and how it can be handled. Netflix does seem to be putting their eggs all into one basket on this project and branching it out into an actual franchise to milk for years to come.

Can you explain how they disregard or dislike the source material?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3