• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kingdom Hearts, Evangelion Singer Hikaru Utada Comes Out as Non-Binary

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Seeing "they" used to refer to a singular person though always strikes me as very cold and disrespectful funny enough, almost as bad as if it were "it".

You might want to take this up with the likes of Chaucer, though. Using "them" as a singular pronoun is not some kind of newfangled fad that bored snowflake [insert your own insult here] teens came up with only recently.

skemono wrote:
SHD wrote:
Utada pointed at the teddy plushie in the background and said 'His name is Kuma-chan, and he is gay.'" Very Happy

Yeah, that happened. People on Twitter have been sharing the clip:
https://twitter.com/hatesgreen/status/1408805320403587081

Oh, thanks!

Last edited by SHD on Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:22 pm Reply with quote
NBs NEVER STOP WINNING, HUH

Megiddo wrote:
Huh, she seems to be more annoyed by the Ms/Mrs thing than anything about gender, but hey, Mx seems to work I guess. Seeing "they" used to refer to a singular person though always strikes me as very cold and disrespectful funny enough, almost as bad as if it were "it".

as a person who uses they/them pronouns and still gets a happy rush when people refer to me using them: exceptionally bad take, homie
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:27 pm Reply with quote
This is great news! Congrats to them! <3
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:28 pm Reply with quote
So proud of Hikaru Utada for finally being secure enough in their own identity! Very Happy
Bonham

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:43 pm Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Huh, she seems to be more annoyed by the Ms/Mrs thing than anything about gender, but hey, Mx seems to work I guess. Seeing "they" used to refer to a singular person though always strikes me as very cold and disrespectful funny enough, almost as bad as if it were "it".

as a person who uses they/them pronouns and still gets a happy rush when people refer to me using them: exceptionally bad take, homie

Seconding this as someone who is NB, as well as what SHD said earlier about "they/them" being used as a singular pronoun in English for centuries. People really ought to do research regarding history and consulting with trans people before making such declarative remarks.
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't get it personally, but I don't understand why this person would be ashamed of being identified as a woman, if their assigned gender at birth was female, and they're not transgender? Something to do with the social stigma of typical behavior associated with women? I just think it's kind of silly the way people are acting up in arms about referring to Hikaru Utada as a woman. If I look at someone who clearly looks like a woman, refer to them directly as a woman, but then they're going to berate me by saying that they want to referred to as "them" then I just don't know anymore. Why can't things just stay simple? I guess this all doesn't really have a lot to do with on the sexual level, unless Hikaru Utada is homosexual, but doesn't want to be identified as just female. Clearly this is all way over my head. I'll just go back into my bubble thanks. Not that I mean any discrimination, far from it, but this all seems needlessly confusing and pointless to me. There's more dire issues in the world, like death and starvation going on, and you're throwing a fit because someone referred to you as "her" instead of "them." Just live how "you" want to live. No need to push a revolutionary movement on others about referring to these people as being multi-gendered.
Bonham

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:52 pm Reply with quote
JeffreySweeney wrote:
Not that I mean any discrimination, far from it, but this all seems needlessly confusing and pointless to me. There's more dire issues in the world, like death and starvation going on, and you're throwing a fit because someone referred to you as "her" instead of "them."

People can care about more than one issue. Gender identity, including those that exist outside of social binaries, have been pervasive throughout history with many different cultures. None of this is new. Unfortunately, misguided and hateful attitudes have also existed and continue to exist. Those who are outside of these expected norms get discriminated against, hurt, and even killed over this. Despite how you want to downplay it, these are serious issues worth facing.

Also, no one outside of a strawman and an extreme minority on social media sites will berate you for getting their gender wrong if you don't know beforehand. They'll inform you of who they actually are, and you then refer to whatever pronouns they are in any instance afterwards. It's as simple as that.

I'll also add that Utada Hikaru is not "ashamed" of being a woman. They've simply come to terms with and have announced the fact that they are non-binary.

Just because you do not understand things and want to create a boogeyman to shield yourself does not mean you should throw your arms up and take no effort to understand things. Don't be silly.
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
People can care about more than one issue. Gender identity, including those that exist outside of social binaries, have been pervasive throughout history with many different cultures. None of this is new. Unfortunately, misguided and hateful attitudes have also existed and continue to exist. Those who are outside of these expected norms get discriminated against, hurt, and even killed over this. Despite how you want to downplay it, these are serious issues worth facing.

Also, no one outside of a strawman and an extreme minority on social media sites will berate you for getting their gender wrong if you don't know beforehand. They'll inform you of who they actually are, and you then refer to whatever pronouns they are in any instance afterwards. It's as simple as that.

I'll also add that Utada Hikaru is not "ashamed" of being a woman. They've simply come to terms with and have announced the fact that they are non-binary.

Just because you do not understand things and want to create a boogeyman to shield yourself does not mean you should throw your arms up and take no effort to understand things. Don't be silly.

Well it's all certainly new to me. I can't say I've met anyone in real life where this has been a thing and I've lived roughly about 40-45% of my lifespan.
Bonham

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:02 pm Reply with quote
JeffreySweeney wrote:
Well it's all certainly new to me. I can't say I've met anyone in real life where this has been a thing and I've lived roughly about 40-45% of my lifespan.

Then you just have something new to learn about outside of your personal experiences, like all of us do at some point in our lives.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Given that Utada listed “Ms” as one of the pronouns they specifically don’t relate to, and that is the feminine pronoun that was specifically developed to be neutral towards one’s marital status, I’m pretty sure Utada knows the difference between “Ms.” and “Mx.” Razz Congrats to them! Very Happy

(Also, not to get off tangent, but your exposure to gender identity varies greatly by where you live. It wasn’t til I attended GDC in San Francisco that I so much as saw a trans person for the first time, and I absolutely put my foot in it by misgendering the waitstaff who was serving me that day and you could see on their face that I had just totally ruined their day. It’s definitely something that stuck with me over the years. :/ )
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Aww good for them! I really love seeing more high profile figures feeling safe enough to come out. Especially considering that Japanese culture is still pretty conservative, so this is a big deal. Happy pride month!
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Good for them!
Aresef

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Good for them! I know Japan is behind the times on LGBT issues. Maybe Utada felt less pressure since they live abroad (in London).
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Pretty bad take, and honestly really disappointing from an oldhead like you.

I use "she/her" and "they/them" pronouns interchangeably, and the reason for that is that I feel that my gender operates on a "general femininity" wavelength. That is to say, HRT has given me enough T&A to pass as and feel womanly, yet the traditional idea of womanhood doesn't apply to me. I revoked my masculinity, but didn't necessarily trade it in for strict womanhood - just a general "feminine other" identity.

They/Them pronouns are super important for the evolution of our societal understanding of gender, and in fact, the idea of it goes back to cultures way, way, WAY before us! So yeah. Not trying to bash, or start a fight, but that's a hurtful assessment. Hope my clarification helps. <3
paulchaested

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:19 pm Reply with quote
*Scratches head in confusion*

Okay... Good for her I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7