• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gundam's Yoshiyuki Tomino Reminds Us All That Char Definitely Has Sex

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Handsome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Even Goku had sex.
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:52 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
But did he say "Char has a really big dick. Simply massive. Giant."? Because I think he absolutely has to think about Char's colossal dick. It's something he should particularly think about during the scriptwriting phase.

According to Lt. Quattro's comments, Char sure is ladykiller.
kae kurono

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Ain't this like....old news?
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:51 pm Reply with quote
This is indeed very old news. Also, it would have been nice to actually credit the super old fan translation they took these context-less snippets from.
bagman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:32 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
Sure. Imagining what a vagina is like is genius. It sounds more pretentious and dumb to me.

Not to get crude, but the last sentence in your quote says it all. She has to be young and fresh - or Char has bad taste. Cant be exciting and old! Unless he's writing hentai, this type of drivel is ridiculous.

They're being sarcastic.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:03 pm Reply with quote
bagman wrote:
ZiharkXVI wrote:
Sure. Imagining what a vagina is like is genius. It sounds more pretentious and dumb to me.

Not to get crude, but the last sentence in your quote says it all. She has to be young and fresh - or Char has bad taste. Cant be exciting and old! Unless he's writing hentai, this type of drivel is ridiculous.

They're being sarcastic.
I hope so. Hard to know.
q_3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:17 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
Tomino wrote:
"I don't want her vagina to be all withered out because it would reflect poorly on Char, and Nanai isn't a dull woman herself."

I read that quote not as being about her age but about her having a well lubricated vagina because Char is a good lover who performs cunnilingus. Either way this is not a discussion I was ever expecting to have about anime.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:25 pm Reply with quote
One of the stranger articles I've read on ANN in recent memory when it comes to the interest section of the site.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:28 am Reply with quote
Tomino should of said if Amuro had sex or not. I know Char has had sex, probably with multiple women possibly. That's like saying Bright Noa definitely had sex. Of course he did. And Char almost had Uso from Victory as his son as result of said sex.
LightningComet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:04 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
But did he say "Char has a really big dick. Simply massive. Giant."? Because I think he absolutely has to think about Char's colossal dick. It's something he should particularly think about during the scriptwriting phase.

Excellent point, my friend Very Happy. I mean that sincerely.

Tomino's psyche here is just revolting. It's taking the objectification of women beyond basically anything I have read. As doubtful as its happening may be, I hope he has since changed his mindset with regard to how to think about women.

This is the exact kind of mindset people (applying to mainly men) should not have if they are genuine about seeing people of all genders (or races, religions, etc.) as equal and, in turn, being considered by others to be someone with that perspective.

Seriously, this is some shit that not-so-nice-people like Weinstein or Polanski would say. It's not okay.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:51 am Reply with quote
LightningComet wrote:
Tomino's psyche here is just revolting. It's taking the objectification of women beyond basically anything I have read. As doubtful as its happening may be, I hope he has since changed his mindset with regard to how to think about women.

This is the exact kind of mindset people (applying to mainly men) should not have if they are genuine about seeing people of all genders (or races, religions, etc.) as equal and, in turn, being considered by others to be someone with that perspective.

Seriously, this is some shit that not-so-nice-people like Weinstein or Polanski would say. It's not okay.

Comparing Tomino to actual sexual predators like Weinstein because he made some crass comments seems a bit harsh.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:08 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
LightningComet wrote:

Comparing Tomino to actual sexual predators like Weinstein because he made some crass comments seems a bit harsh.

Seriously. Sure, the comment is creepy/weird, but I think he also concentrating on commenting about her body because in his mind so Char as a lover should also concentrate on her instead of on his own.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:43 am Reply with quote
The whole Fan Book is worth a read. And filled with casual sexism due to the conversation being dominated by Tomino.

Good on Snyder for closing down the debate around HQ S3´s cut scene. The king of chads is still trending over it. Watch him sell the art he commissioned for charity in the near future. Based.
https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1405702805948538881
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:00 am Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
Bruce Timm never would have said that about Batman. Dude was unashamed with his horniness.

Bruce Timm didn’t create Batman (so what Batman does and doesn’t do is completely up to DC than it is the writers) this is also a weird take in light of the Killing Joke adaptation where Batman & Batgirl had sex......which fans didn’t like.

Codeanime93 wrote:
Tomino should of said if Amuro had sex or not.

Didn’t the Char’s Counterattack Novel confirm he did?
zaphdash

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:06 am Reply with quote
animefan57892 wrote:
ZiharkXVI wrote:

Generally, men prefer young women. That's just the reality.
What Tomino said is his opinion. That's it. Different opinion is not drivel.

I would be very careful about making broad statements about what anyone "generally" prefers (does a broad enough swath of men "prefer young women" to say that this is "generally" true, or is your perception of what people "want" distorted by what the ever-encroaching capitalist monoculture wants people to want? This is a genuine, but probably rhetorical, question, because I certainly don't know the answer and I don't think that you actually do either), but even more than that, what "men" do or don't "generally" prefer is beside the point. Reducing a woman to whether or not her vagina is "all withered out" is misogyny. It transforms a human being (granted, in this case, a fictional character) into a sexual object and status symbol. And this is explicitly how Tomino describes his thought process: that if she were the wrong kind of woman, "it would reflect poorly on Char." She isn't meant to be a human being, she's only meant to send a signal about Char. Whether men "generally" hold the same view wouldn't make it somehow not dehumanizing, and that we can call it an "opinion" doesn't lend it automatic validity.

a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
El Hermano wrote:
LightningComet wrote:

Seriously. Sure, the comment is creepy/weird, but I think he also concentrating on commenting about her body because in his mind so Char as a lover should also concentrate on her instead of on his own.

I am not convinced that Tomino's comments indicate a difference in kind as much as in magnitude from people like Weinstein. While it is true that Tomino is not, as far as we know, a serial rapist, and granted that that difference is not nothing, his comments nonetheless suggest that he similarly views women less as human beings than as symbols to signal a man's status, like I was discussing above.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3