• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Sued in Class-Action Lawsuit for Allegations of Violating Americans with Disabiliti

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:19 pm Reply with quote
zero-r wrote:
There are plenty of "shop" websites (for even bigger companies) that do not complied the Americans with Disabilities Act. This isn't shocking at all and shouldn't be shocking to anyone else to be honest.... Also, this lawsuit is DOA. Case close.

I take it you've attended law school and have been appointed or elected to a judgeship then?
Яeverse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:22 pm Reply with quote
GeorgH wrote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Jenisa+Angeles%22+lawsuit

Guess it's not her first lawsuit.
The Funimation Shop has several other significant issues, including the ban of foreign IP adresses resulting in the fact, that European anime fans interested in Funimations products cannot check which of their titles are Region B/2 (and shop.funimation.com is the only official source for this prior to the street date)

Is the person just going around suing any site they may or may not shop on? Also wouldn't you email funimation to let them know versus just suing as the first step/

all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
zero-r wrote:
There are plenty of "shop" websites (for even bigger companies) that do not complied the Americans with Disabilities Act. This isn't shocking at all and shouldn't be shocking to anyone else to be honest.... Also, this lawsuit is DOA. Case close.

I take it you've attended law school and have been appointed or elected to a judgeship then?

couldn't funi just say their products can be bought in a store and/or other websites and thus, they are providing an alternative way for people to buy their products
ranran-001

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:
I'm all for supporting disability rights, but getting angry a TV show service, a completely visual medium, isn't giving you all the support to view blindly seems to be dying on the wrong hill. Theres only so much you can do to be disability friendly to blind people.

Yeah, keep saying that, and then one day you get hit by a car putting you in a wheel chair, suddenly simple things like climbing the steps to your front door to get the newspaper becomes an impossible task.

Come back when you learn some basic human decency for a change.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

There isn't any indication that the plaintiff didn't contact Funimation prior to this lawsuit. People tend to assume lawsuits just get filed in court and the defendant is surprised with a summons or something, but in my experience most lawyers send e-mails/letters with warnings about 'failure to comply may lead to litigative action' or some such.

Last edited by ANN_Lynzee on Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lanisatu

Albion Hero wrote:
I'm all for supporting disability rights, but getting angry a TV show service, a completely visual medium, isn't giving you all the support to view blindly seems to be dying on the wrong hill. Theres only so much you can do to be disability friendly to blind people.

How much do you hate disabled people to say something so ignorant? Someone being legally blind doesn't necessarily mean they can't see at all by the way. Plenty of vision impaired people still have some vision, but even those with no vision shouldn't be barred access from ecommerce sites. And blind people do watch anime too, you uneducated potato. They can listen to it.

She's literally asking them to comply with mandated standards that have existed FOR YEARS. She's not asking for anything special, so throw out your ridiculous "there's only so much you can do" nonsense. They literally didn't do the bare minimum.

WCAG 2.0 level AA is commonly required in multiple areas now (although the standard goes up to 2.1 AAA currently). Only lazy and/or ignorant web designers/developers are not complying at all. And companies should absolutely check that their web teams know what WCAG is and the level of compliance required in their district.

It's also extremely bad coding practice to not use ALT text and label buttons. My gosh, this tells me that there's almost no real checking of usability of their site internally and I highly doubt they do any external user testing to make such basic mistakes.

The only thing that surprises me here is that she's suing directly. Does the ADA not fine and enforce compliance? (I am Canadian, the way we'd deal with a violation like this here is different)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vanadise

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:31 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
I didn't know you could sue for having a website that sucks for us blind folks. Look out, world, I'm gonna be bringing so many of these f***ing lawsuits, the litigation will never end!

If your business falls under Title I (you are open at least 20 hours per week and have at least 15 employees) or Title III (you are open to the public and fall into one of 12 specific categories of businesses) and you have a web site, then yes, in fact, you are legally required to be ADA-compliant, and you can be sued if you are not.

As we can see here, there are a lot of people who think that providing basic accessibility for disabled users is a joke, and fortunately that's why the ADA exists.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:32 pm Reply with quote
@Lanisatu

ADA is not an organization, it stands for the American Disability Act, its a law not a body of people.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:34 pm Reply with quote
@Яeverse

Sure, cause in your mind, the only people that have to sue sites are just a bunch of trolls and not seriously a part of the community that is discriminated against due to the lack of being able to see.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I’m sighted so this isn’t something that I rely on, but if this is true, that’s troubling and I hope they address it. Something this also got me thinking about, I know Netflix has audio descriptions but I don’t think audio descriptions are common in anime generally. Is this something that can be addressed?
phantom360

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Dumbest suit i've ever seen just sue the whole internet because most sites are not accessible for the blind.
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising trying to get people to comply with ADA is always a pain.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:56 pm Reply with quote
phantom360 wrote:
Dumbest suit i've ever seen just sue the whole internet because most sites are not accessible for the blind.

*sigh*

Put yourself in the shoes of a blind anime fan. Now imagine someone telling you all that.

Title III of the ADA applies to public accommodations. To the extent an online store is a public accommodation, it needs to be accessible. The DOJ attempted to make actual rules about this but the regulations were pulled under the Trump administration.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:01 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
@Яeverse

Sure, cause in your mind, the only people that have to sue sites are just a bunch of trolls and not seriously a part of the community that is discriminated against due to the lack of being able to see.

I don't understand how you think I think I said anything about people who are suing are trolls. Clearly I stated that I wondered if they had reached out to funimation to see if changes could be made. Nowhere was I saying I have little to no concern for people who are blind.

Additionally we have seen cases where people sue companies en masse just to make a quick buck.

I was merely commenting on that posters search that it seems this person is bringing class action lawsuits to several companies in short time. Late 2020 to now.
taishou*

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I definitely think Funi needs to rework their website. ADA compliance is important, however this whole thing strikes me as kind of odd, I guess. I'd wager that most websites on the internet are not ADA compliant and looking at the other lawsuits this person has filed, the defendants seem to be random businesses with websites. They all seem to have been filed within a short period of time as well.
I want to stress that I'm not making any assumptions here, but I do find this situation a little strange.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Alright everyone stop with the passive aggressive comments and bickering. Either be civil when making your points or move on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6