• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: According to Poll, Japanese Kids Admire Tanjirō More Than Their Parents

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:08 pm Reply with quote
MugenPancake wrote:
Post Removed
I don't think it has anything to do with being a "weeb" or "trying to live in a fantasy world". Not everyone is blessed with amazing parents that they want to look up to and admire and be like. I know I certainly wasn't, and the only thing my parents made sure I learned was to not be anything like them, both for myself and for my marriage. Just because they're your parents doesn't mean you are obligated in any way to idolize or admire them. It's the same for any family member. If a kid growing up with terrible parents feels like they could better admire someone else - real or fictional - I can't find any fault in that. Granted, this poll doesn't give any hint to such a thing, but it's always plausible for some.

While I don't quite understand exactly how kids that young are watching/reading Demon Slayer enough to have this many characters on this poll list (but I know standards from US to Japan are entirely different when it comes to media and sensibilities), I can understand why young ones would admire Tanjiro. Largely for what Uchay already listed. Kids certainly could pick worse characters or people to admire.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I just happened to watch episode 11 of season six of Star Trek: The Next Generation last night. Picard is being tortured by a Cardassian and is sitting limply in a chair while his oppressor has a brief moment with his young daughter. When Picard criticizes his antagonist for showing such a sordid scene to a child, the Cardassian responds that she, like the other children of his race, are brought up to hate other races like humans. Picard observes that if you breed race-hatred into young children, later on they'll come to despise their parents, too.

Isn't it more likely children have seen the movie version of Kimetsu no Yaiba, which has become a phenomenon in Japan, than the television series?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:55 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

Isn't it more likely children have seen the movie version of Kimetsu no Yaiba, which has become a phenomenon in Japan, than the television series?

Well the movie kind of requires seeing the TV series to understand it, since it's a direct continuation of the last arc covered there. More likely than either, though, is that kids are reading the manga - the series recently announced it had over 120 million copies in print.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
MasterGhost wrote:
The Kimetsu no Yaiba manga was a Jump title, and Jump means that it's demographics start from elementary school kids in Japan.

I'm pretty sure the shonen demographic is supposed to be 12-18 year old boys, though. So Shonen Jump titles aren't necessarily aimed at children, more towards teens and preteens.

That said, I know that hasn't stopped kids younger than that age range from reading Jump anyway.

Shounen demographic starts as low as 8+, but does go all the way up to 18+, as you said, where Kodomo is usually 6+ or 2+, though there is cross-over between the audience. Some shounen is aimed older, some is aimed younger. Demon Slayer absolutely is on the younger side, despite some of the graphic content at times. I mean, Dragon Ball could get absolutely graphic at times, and it's aimed at the same demographic. Same with stuff like Naruto (which for the LONGEST aired next to Pokemon), Bleach, InuYasha, Detective Conan, Black Clover, etc. They're all aimed at the childrens' and general audience demographics.

Now, stuff like Death Note, for sure, is aimed at the older end of the spectrum (likely Middle to High School age), but Shounen demographic is fairly wide.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:39 am Reply with quote
Well, at least its someone nice.

Cutiebunny wrote:
I'm sorta sad that 'my teacher' ranked higher than 'my dad'.

Not really. Its a thing there for the parents (mainly fathers) to be the "salaryman." They won't be able to get much time going home if they do have that type of job. Plus, there has been a rise in child abuse cases in Japan. I'm more surprised to see parents so high. I know the "respecting those older than you".

There is also the fact that not everyone has a good relationship with their parents.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The survey asked ... kids ... enrolled in the company's Shinkenzemi Elementary School Course to the things they liked best year,

Well that sentence certainly got mangled somewhere along the way. Smile

Though I can't quite put my finger on why, I think I find it more concerning that this private publishing company is apparently setting the school curriculum. I suppose it's not out of line if it's a private school, but it kinda bothers me if it's public school(s).
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:36 am Reply with quote
capt_bunny wrote:
Well, at least its someone nice.

Cutiebunny wrote:
I'm sorta sad that 'my teacher' ranked higher than 'my dad'.

Not really. Its a thing there for the parents (mainly fathers) to be the "salaryman." They won't be able to get much time going home if they do have that type of job. Plus, there has been a rise in child abuse cases in Japan. I'm more surprised to see parents so high. I know the "respecting those older than you".

There is also the fact that not everyone has a good relationship with their parents.

Yes, that is the sad part about it.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:32 pm Reply with quote
The more I see Kimetsu no Yaiba around, the more my eye seems to twitch in agitation. I've long been a big fan of Inuyasha, Seraph of the End, am no stranger to Shounen from Bleach to Yu Yu Hakusho... When the anime for Kimetsu no Yaiba was announced, the premise looked solid and I was excited to sit down and watch..... only to to be fairly quickly let down when the most interesting character at the outset of the show (Nezuko) was pretty much immediately stripped of any meaningful participation with the rest of the cast.

I get that the siblings' situation is supposed to be tragic, and for all intent and purpose Tanjiro is supposed to be presented as compassionate, but I'm really creeped out by the fact that the sorts of societal topics a game like Analogue: A Hate Story takes inspiration from/aim at is just written off as "that's just how Tanjiro and Nezuko have to get by". The mouth gag is already unsettling imagery, in that it's as iconic to Nezuko's character as Mario's red hat. Nezuko cant talk with it, has to stay in a container, shrinks and acts infantile, and generally requires Tanjiro to interpret for her. It's like, for every aspect of of Inuyasha's female cast that was engaging, it's the exact opposite with Nezuko and I either hear from a handful of people that immediately caught onto this old-timey "women should be seen and not heard" stuff and didn't like the show, or I see mentions of how popular it is and the numbers it's pulling in while Nezuko's framing/presentation is completely glossed over/unnoticed.

I look at something like Junketsu no Maria and its time period, and the main female character's relationship with {society at large} is a part of the running commentary of the show, so when some of the themes and messaging dip into disturbing territory.... you kind of get what you paid for with it - but Kimetsu no Yaiba seemed to draw no such attention to Nezuko. And now this poll pops up and I ask myself if in sixth grade I'd have caught the nuance and concerning portrayal of this character as something that is problematic when taken at face value, and I'm bothered by how many viewers might be having all of this go over their head unnoticed, especially when I'm an adult and am still to this day looking back on older media I've consumed and only just now realising/remembering the low-key misogyny and homophobia that was slipping by. I just wish more people were talking about it alongside the series' success so that when someone does go to watch it, they don't just call Nezuko cute and move on.

A few months back I caught an article written a year ago by a Trevor Richardson, "Who is allowed to speak their pain?" and it actually summed up everything I'd picked out myself and was bothering me just after watching the first several episodes. I know there's likely chunks of the fanbase that wouldn't likely even entertain the topic, but again, the more I see Kimetsu no Yaiba accolades posted and yet no one seems bothered by Nezuko, it unsettles me. I guess in my writing this, I'm arguing with myself for a sanity check as an anime fan.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:50 am Reply with quote
That's a great post. I was bothered by Nezuko throughout, too. It's one of the reasons I dropped Kimetsu no Yaiba around the half-way point. The obnoxious side characters pushed me over the edge.

I also found it strange that they cast Kitou Akari, a seiyuu with an impressive resume, as Nezuko. Maybe she regains her speaking voice in the second half that I have not seen? The contrast between Nezuko and In/Spectre's Kotoko is stunning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2