• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fate/Apocrypha Limited Edition Blu-ray Part 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:17 am Reply with quote
I think how much you like Fate/Apocrypha depends largely on how much you like Fate for the epic fight scenes over... everything else.

As it is, I found some of the episodes enjoyable, but am in the disappointed group. The main drawbacks to me were how dull Seig was a main character (I think I fell asleep during the episode where he goes on a date with Jeanne...), and how the large cast meant that many of them were under-utilized. Fran and Mordred in particular I thought could be fascinating characters, but outside of fight scenes, they didn't really do much with them in this, which is particularly surprising in Mordred's case.
Sss.Legosi.x.Jack-kun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:23 am Reply with quote
I found Apoc to be a very fun show, I approached it like it was an old school Chris Claremont X men story. I think that helped since it did feel like it was missing something as a Fate series. Encore had the same problem except it forgot to be intetesting in any way.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:33 am Reply with quote
I ended up enjoying Apocrypha as a popcorn entertainment type of show; lots of good fights, lots of fun characters (my favorites were Fran, Mordred, and Astolfo). My main problem was that the story feels very fan-fictiony in that it's both very convoluted and too simple, though this is more a problem in the second half. The first half, for the most part, is pretty tightly paced and easy to marathon.

I respect that the reviewer didn't like some of the sakuga towards the end of the season, but i live for that kind of stuff, and Apocrypha is chock full of great animation sequences by some of the best in the industry. There are 2 scenes with Frankenstein near the end of the season that are among my favorites in recent memory, and i think they work because of the stylistic flair the animation has.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:03 am Reply with quote
Sss.Legosi.x.Jack-kun wrote:
Encore had the same problem except it forgot to be intetesting in any way.

Last Encore was extremely interesting visually. It was very shaft in so many ways.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:54 am Reply with quote
It's almost pointless to watch Last Encore unless you've played Fate/Extra.
It's... the Last Encore of Fate/Extra.
danpmss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Staros wrote:
Zeino wrote:
I also was deeply let down by UBW, so Apocrypha was very much a pleasant surprise and my current second favorite Fate entry after Zero. (It will moved down to third if the Heaven's Feel's movies don't decide to face-plant in their last act like UBW did.)

It actually cares about exploring most of it's cast's motivations and making use of it's respective servants backgrounds and even the more "out there" interpretations like loli Jack the Ripper and Astollfo, the Knight of "that's really a guy?!" go in interesting directions that makes up for them being fairly obvious otaku bait. Things manage to happen each episode. The fights are consistently good and well-animated and above all else, it's fun.

So yeah, I'm glad that Rebecca and few others agree with me here especially since so much of the fanbase just seems to dismiss it in a very knee jerk manner of "it's bad because it not like the original Fate/Stay Night visual novel which is an irreproachable masterpiece." Of course, many of those same people whined that the ANN reviewers "just didn't get it" when UBW got a negative review here several times over.

The UBW anime is pretty boring but that doesn't make Apocrypha good. Anyone can notice that the Heaven's Feel movies, Lost Butterfly especially, has far more realistic characterization. It's why FSN has tons of fans in Japan while Apocrypha has very few.

Though the FSN VN cannot be that popular in the West until its terrible fan translation is replaced with an accurate translation.

What, it's literally the most popular VN in the west already lol
Like, vndb could get some relevant statistics on that.
https://vndb.org/v/all?q=;fil=tagspoil-0;rfil=;o=d;s=pop

Bad translation or not (and complementing with the fact that Nasu is purple-prose-ish even in japanese, and the h-scenes are equally infamously bad), it won't change that fact, as most western readers never really gave a damn about that as long as it was readable (the Realtà Nua revision was actually decent too).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2