• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Strangest Isekai Deaths

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:54 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
tintor2 wrote:
Wait, Neferpitou is a girl?

Neferpitou's gender is pretty ambiguous. The fact that Nef has a female VA in both Japanese and English (who are both good at hiding the femininity in their voices), the fact the Chimera Ant was referred to just once with "kare" ("he") in the official character guide book, and the fact Nef's chest was drawn differently in the manga and anime makes it hard to peg a gender.

And someone added him/her to this week's poll too, which means they have a good chance on name recognition alone of placing in both polls even though no one knows what gender they actually are. Even the HxH wiki only uses gender-neutral pronouns to describe them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:28 am Reply with quote
They don't need a gender.

And the poll shouldn't be separated by gender.

Nothing needs to be separated by gender.

Separating anything by gender is sexist. That's not the view of LGBT people or feminists any more than it is the view of conservatives, but it's my view. Both sides hate me for it, both sides would rather put up their walls and stockpile their weapons. The solution is to bring down the wall for everyone.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:35 am Reply with quote
HameruIsCool wrote:
Kemono Friends' Serval belongs near the top of that list. It feels insulting to see her below a character from a mediocre harem series.

I will fight you!
Wink

(love that show, a mix of a GOOD female harem cast and some actually fascinating ideas)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Since when is Miraculous Ladybug an anime? Isn't it French?

Knowledge is knowing Miraculous isn't anime.
Wisdom is knowing Miraculous might be one of the best magical girl anime in the past 5 years.

#861208 wrote:
Separating anything by gender is sexist. That's not the view of LGBT people or feminists any more than it is the view of conservatives, but it's my view.

Until human brains evolve beyond the need to prioritize information, taxonomy matters. While you were reading that article and writing that post, it is almost certain that someone in your town was shown favor or disfavor solely because of their gender/sex or how they chose to present themselves with regard to that. I only hope that you are as angry about that or even more so than you are over two questions about nonexistent characters.
Utsugi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
HameruIsCool wrote:

Anyone else hoping for higher standards of isekai to come back? I miss the days of Escaflowne and Fushigi Yuugi. If you are going to make an game-themed isekai, it should at least meet the standards of Konosuba and Log Horizon. Any series that has the protagonist become a Mary Sue and break any world rules to win should be taken with a greater amount of scrutiny, if not get completely ignored by anime critics. Fanfiction standards don't belong in anime. Period.

lol you talk about higher standards yet you say Konosuba and LH are good. Twelve Kingdoms is how you do isekai. They're trash compared to it.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Utsugi wrote:
HameruIsCool wrote:

Anyone else hoping for higher standards of isekai to come back? I miss the days of Escaflowne and Fushigi Yuugi. If you are going to make an game-themed isekai, it should at least meet the standards of Konosuba and Log Horizon. Any series that has the protagonist become a Mary Sue and break any world rules to win should be taken with a greater amount of scrutiny, if not get completely ignored by anime critics. Fanfiction standards don't belong in anime. Period.

lol you talk about higher standards yet you say Konosuba and LH are good. Twelve Kingdoms is how you do isekai. They're trash compared to it.

Just a friendly reminder that there is no one single way to do isekai good. All three of those shows do their own things differently enough from each other with not the exact same end goals that a direct comparison isn’t what I would call accurate and it’s slightly unfair. Just because you’re not a fan of how exactly one show does its’ thing doesn’t make it bad/trash.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:42 am Reply with quote
Utsugi wrote:
HameruIsCool wrote:

I wasn't aware those two were game-themed isekai.
D-Rock

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:44 am Reply with quote
These all sound absolutely terrible and, thanks to you, I know now not to ever read/watch them.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
Utsugi wrote:

I wasn't aware those two were game-themed isekai.

Konosuba explicitly sets things up as being game-like in the first episode and everyone has character sheets. Log Horizon's plot is literally a bunch of people finding themselves in the world of the MMORPG they play and learning to cope with the fact that game mechanics are their reality now.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:40 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
How the hell is Haineko on the poll and not Yoruichi...?

no kidding! not to mention by having that chimera ant in the list WHEN IT IS NOT EVEN A CAT AT ALL, is more or less the death nail for this poll listing. aka "ITS AN EPIC FAIL!!!!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2