• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Director Taika Waititi Confirms He's Still Working on Live-Action Akira

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:27 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

He has at least three other films in production - a stop-motion animated film about the life of Michael Jackson from the perspective of his chimpanzee, a film about a Nazi child with an imaginary Jewish friend (in which Waititi himself will play Hitler), and a sequel to What We Do in the Shadows.

100% Real: I would love this to happen more than Akira at this point. Someone else brought up LOTR (edit: configspace, credit is due), and naysayers (me included) were crawling all over that production from the first breath, but Peter Jackson did an excellent job. However, I really don't like his bipolar Hobbit production, or rather, 'adaptation', but I am a critical fan of that story even more than the heavy-hitter trilogy.

This has been a pipe dream for years, and we still are no closer in any case. If he wants to keep plugging away at the script, so be it. There will ALWAYS be Akira fans. We KNOW how good the source material is, and how EPIC the scale and scope of the movie and its influence on other creators around the world. I think it will take a miracle at this point to get anything concrete, or nothing short of a cosmic shift to spur any more stamina out of this production, but at least the guy seems passionate about it. And to further beat war drums, MIchael Pitt, i wish things had fared better for you, my friend. Sad
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What I wanted to do was an adaptation of the books, 'cos a lot of people are like, 'Don't touch that film!' and I'm like, 'I'm not remaking the film, I want to go back to the book.

Quote:
Deadline previously described the project's story as taking place "in the rebuilt New Manhattan where a leader of a biker gang saves his friend from a medical experiment."

In Waititi's modest defence, he never specified precisely which book it was that he wished to adapt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

Case in point: Thor is a pretty poor adaption of the original comics. I don't expect he'd handle Akira any better.

Seems a bit harsh to single him out for Ragnarok when prior to it's release none of the live action Thor films were held in high regard the 2nd being regarded as probably the worse.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:53 pm Reply with quote
After watching Thor: Ragnarok, I'm confident this guy can pull off Akira. He's an amazing director, but he's also not super serious. The perfect combination for this material.
Titus-A

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:56 am Reply with quote
Director of Thor... that's not reassuring. Comic book movies suck so much ass.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2