• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Violet Evergarden Listed for April 5 in U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:47 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I am glad it is coming in the first week of April for those who decided to wait for the legal stream.
Count me among them. Patience pays off as they say. Plus it's not like we've not had plenty of other good shows to keep busy with in the mean time as well. This will be a very nice spring treat though.
Agree, the timing is about the only positive, about F'N time Netflix...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:18 am Reply with quote
The fact that it had an Eng. simuldub not legally available to the U.S. yet is stupid to say the least. If there was ever to be a solid case of anime piracy being morally/ethically justified, I think this is it.
Viha_Antti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:25 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
The fact that it had an Eng. simuldub not legally available to the U.S. yet is stupid to say the least. If there was ever to be a solid case of anime piracy being morally/ethically justified, I think this is it.

Remember that frustration and try to relive it at the start of every new anime season, because that's what it's like to be an anime fan living outside US and UK. Even if a show I want to watch is on Crunchyroll (which I pay for), doesn't mean that I'm actually allowed by CR to watch it. At least Netflix opens it up to everyone EVENTUALLY.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:15 am Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:
So it comes out in the US the day episode 13 comes out for the rest of the world, nice.

But isn't supposed to be 14 episodes? or maybe the final episode is double so that's why was counted as 14?

Either episode 14 will be on Netflix ahead of the rest of the world, or episode 14 is actually a special.

Anyway, Violet Evergarden is coming onto Netflix the day after my birthday, so does my patience finally paying off count as a late birthday present?
TheMorry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:54 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
I've been watching the 1080p Asenshi subs weekly, and I think I'm just gonna bypass Netflix altogether and buy the US blurays instead. I pay for Netflix and they really screwed us over.
For those in other countries that didn't get the simulcast (Mexico, Spain, Austria, Australia, etc), is Netflix showing a listing for the same date? I'm really curious as to what caused the seemingly random "international" release for Evergarden.
Its kinda ironic. We European anime fans can never watch Funimation weekly dubs (im from Holland) and you Americans think that is fair and normal and now its the other way around. So ironic.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:10 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm happy for all my American friends who were waiting to see this legitimately. Uh, not sure how many of you fell into this category, but...

I, um, don't (this time), but for me the show is shaping up to be worth a second viewing, which I will happily do to give the show legal traffic.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:40 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Its kinda ironic. We European anime fans can never watch Funimation weekly dubs (im from Holland) and you Americans think that is fair and normal and now its the other way around. So ironic.

I think that’s a different case, as it’s not always financially feasible for an American company to license English dubs in countries where English isn’t even the primary language (I do admit that Wikipedia states that 90% of people in Holland can speak English to some degree, so you do have a point). But the fact of the matter is that the English dub for Evergarden is being produced in America, and everyone in the world (except a couple other countries) can watch it except us.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
TheMorry wrote:

I think that’s a different case, as it’s not always financially feasible for an American company to license English dubs in countries where English isn’t even the primary language (I do admit that Wikipedia states that 90% of people in Holland can speak English to some degree, so you do have a point). But the fact of the matter is that the English dub for Evergarden is being produced in America, and everyone in the world (except a couple other countries) can watch it except us.
I know mate. I was just making fun of the arrogance of some Americans to think they "have the right". In my opinion everyone should be able to watch it the way they want to. FOr means that to be able stream English dubs legally. I hate that region bullcrap lol.

In 2 years ill be moving to Australia then I can finally legally watch anime on FunimationNow.
Parrad11

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:07 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:

In 2 years ill be moving to Australia then I can finally legally watch anime on FunimationNow.

Maybe it'll change in the future, but FunimationNow's website says it's not currently available in Australia…

It was good when Funimation were working with AnimeLab and offering a number of their shows on that service including simuldubs, but that seemed to mostly stop once the Crunchyroll × Funimation deal was announced.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:27 am Reply with quote
Parrad11 wrote:
TheMorry wrote:

Maybe it'll change in the future, but FunimationNow's website says it's not currently available in Australia…

It was good when Funimation were working with AnimeLab and offering a number of their shows on that service including simuldubs, but that seemed to mostly stop once the Crunchyroll × Funimation deal was announced.
According to google it is available in Australia and New Zealand.
Parrad11

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:01 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Parrad11 wrote:
TheMorry wrote:

According to google it is available in Australia and New Zealand.

Maybe there is some way around it, but if you try to visit funimationnow.com it redirects you to http://www.funimationnow.com/rest-of-the-world/ they certainly aren't pushing it here in Australia as far as I've seen.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:54 am Reply with quote
Viha_Antti, I actually do sympathize with that issue for my fellow brothers and sisters in fandom.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:09 am Reply with quote
Parrad11 wrote:

Maybe there is some way around it, but if you try to visit funimationnow.com it redirects you to http://www.funimationnow.com/rest-of-the-world/ they certainly aren't pushing it here in Australia as far as I've seen.

have you tried leaving out the 'now' part?
Parrad11

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:30 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Parrad11 wrote:

That's interesting, so they opened up funimation.com, and called it FunimationNow. I was able to navigate around, and found Fruits Basket, I tried to play episode one, but the player was just blank. I then created an account and tried again, the player still didn't play, but it's layout was broken. Refreshing the page resulted in "Sorry, but this content isn’t available in your country.". I navigated back and tried a different show, the show page didn't load properly so I refreshed that page and was shown "Sorry, but this content isn’t available in your country." again. From there the Funimation website said "Sorry, but this content isn’t available in your country." on /shows and even on the homepage.

I cleared the cookies and logged in again. I was able to start playing Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card Ep 1, but trying some random shows in the all shows list would either just not work, show the not available message after a refresh, not load the show page correctly or just lock you out completely. It seems like it is quite hit and miss at the moment.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Parrad11 wrote:
getchman wrote:

That's interesting, so they opened up funimation.com, and called it FunimationNow. I was able to navigate around, and found Fruits Basket, I tried to play episode one, but the player was just blank. I then created an account and tried again, the player still didn't play, but it's layout was broken. Refreshing the page resulted in "Sorry, but this content isn’t available in your country.". I navigated back and tried a different show, the show page didn't load properly so I refreshed that page and was shown "Sorry, but this content isn’t available in your country." again. From there the Funimation website said "Sorry, but this content isn’t available in your country." on /shows and even on the homepage.

I cleared the cookies and logged in again. I was able to start playing Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card Ep 1, but trying some random shows in the all shows list would either just not work, show the not available message after a refresh, not load the show page correctly or just lock you out completely. It seems like it is quite hit and miss at the moment.

Yeah, at the moment, you're probably out of luck with catalog titles. i imagine they are in the process of obtaining necessary steaming rights for everything, but that's over 300 shows so It's gonna take time. You should have access to all their simuldubs since expanding to your area, which was March of last year
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3