• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Fantastic Filler Episodes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
If it is a original show, how can it e filler? We call content not present in the original Manga filler
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
If it is a original show, how can it e filler? We call content not present in the original Manga filler

No, we'd usually call that anime-original content. But that tends to also universally count as filler as to not disturb the main plot because...

...the definition of filler is, to quote TVtropes;
Quote:
Filler episodes are entries in a generally continuous serial that are unrelated to the main plot, don't significantly alter the relations between the characters, and generally serve only to take up space. This could be considered Padding applied to a whole franchise.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
If we're talking about filler as "diversions from the main plotline," only two readily come to mind for me.

"The Palmtop Tiger of Happiness" from Toradora, which creates a really sweet little bridge episode between the first and second halves of the series.

"Late Summer Greeting Card" from K-On's second season, where Azusa keeps having bizarre dreams about her bandmates (the "watersliding with yakisoba" part still cracks me up every time).

Now if we're talking about filler as simply "did not happen in the manga," then I'd bring up some of my favorite episodes from Cardcaptor Sakura, Trigun, and Fullmetal Alchemist - but my favorites fillers from those shows are all plot-relevant within the anime continuity.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Are the Excalibur episodes in Soul Eater considered filler? If so, those are the best filler episodes of all time.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I find it hard to call the Battle Frontier in Pokemon a Filler arc. First everything in that is anime original so it doens't really have filler in the traditional sense. And that was a whole separate show on most fan sites, it had it's own theme song and long form story
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Even with Lynzee's definition, I'm not sure I'd count Baseball Blues as "filler," since much like in Bebop, the majority of Champloo's episodes were meant to be stand-alone. However you define it, it was still hilarious. Utena's Nanami episodes flat-out made my sides hurt. Very Happy As far as full-fledged arcs go, One Piece's G8 arc is by far the best I've seen. I genuinely wouldn't have known it wasn't part of the manga if I hadn't been told so, and it's far more enjoyable than the *shudder* (mostly) canon Davy Back Fight arc that follows.

(And then there's Bleach, which had multiple filler arcs that weren't even canon to the anime...)

Razor/Edge wrote:
Are the Excalibur episodes in Soul Eater considered filler? If so, those are the best filler episodes of all time.

Yesssssss.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
I find it hard to call the Battle Frontier in Pokemon a Filler arc. First everything in that is anime original so it doens't really have filler in the traditional sense. And that was a whole separate show on most fan sites, it had it's own theme song and long form story

It's not filler, it was important later on in both subsequent Diamond and Pearl and Best Wishes series. Even by the incorrect way some anime fans use filler as meaning 'not in the source material' it wouldn't be filler since the Battle Frontier is part of the games.

MarshalBanana wrote:

The term has been used longer than the anime fandom has been around. It just means to fill time.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Please include season and episode numbers when referring to single episodes in anime with hundreds of episodes. I'd actually like to check out the DBZ learn to drive ep. I've heard of it, and Team Four Star referenced it (of course they did!), but I've never actually seen it.

I vote for Full Metal Panic: Fuffumofu (especially the rugby ep!), the second half of the first Fullmetal Alchemist (I even like Conqueror of Shamballa, so sue me! Wink) and DBZ Saiyanman, (I love superhero parodies)!

I also kind of like that one episode of Bleach in which Hitsugaya comes down to Earth and plays soccer with Karin.

Wouldn't nearly every movie based on an anime or manga that doesn't fit into continuity be considered filler?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
If we're talking about filler as "diversions from the main plotline," only two readily come to mind for me.

"The Palmtop Tiger of Happiness" from Toradora, which creates a really sweet little bridge episode between the first and second halves of the series.

"Late Summer Greeting Card" from K-On's second season, where Azusa keeps having bizarre dreams about her bandmates (the "watersliding with yakisoba" part still cracks me up every time).

Only two?
And not the immortal "Hot springs" episode of Outlaw Star?...The show that gave Filler Episodes a good name? Very Happy
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Please include season and episode numbers when referring to single episodes in anime with hundreds of episodes. I'd actually like to check out the DBZ learn to drive ep. I've heard of it, and Team Four Star referenced it (of course they did!), but I've never actually seen it.

I mean...

Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
Ahhh yes episode 101 of Naruto is definitely an iconic filler episode. Many of my favorite fillers from any anime or live action show are the comedic ones that parody its own work.

"Behind this mask... IS ANOTHER MASK!"

It's so cliché but it freaking killed me. Best character will always be Kakashi.
grooven

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:34 pm Reply with quote
That DBZ one is one of the best filler episodes I can remember in recent memory. Loved it then and love it now.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:48 pm Reply with quote
People who don't enjoy Goku's Dilemma are people you should not trust.

Also, Akira Toriyama loves drawing tiny cars and zany antics (see: Dr. Slump, Cowa, Sandland), I'm surprised this wasn't a canon episode.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

The term has been used longer than the anime fandom has been around. It just means to fill time.

In anime, it's considered to date back to the more pointless side-stories and recap-episodes ("Phantasm") added to Macross, which actually were filler, to fill a last-second demand for additional episodes to stretch the episode count from 26 to 36.

Nowadays, they mean "Any episode in a fight serial where something stupid and funny happens, instead of the plot", and mostly by newer fans who just watch Toonami fight-serials.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:08 am Reply with quote
"Naruto" epi. 152 introduced Raiga Kurosaki who, per his Naruto Wiki entry, "was a jōnin from Kirigakure as well as a member of the Seven Ninja Swordsmen of the Mist. Prior to his defection from the village, he also served as an Anbu." He had a sword named Kiba. He used Lightning and Water Style attacks in the anime. What makes him interesting is that he and his sword became canon in manga ch. 668 (tankoubon vol. 69). However, his canon backstory would be whatever the manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4