• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nozomi Ent. Launches Kickstarter for Aria the Animation English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I hope this Kickstarter will be a success; I've been wanting to watch Aria for ages. Smile The fact that it nearly $15.5K shows that it has a fairly good chance.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
I adore Aria, so I'm happy to see that RightStuf believes there's fan support for it.
Meanwhile, this is being dubbed in New York? I hardly see anything dubbed there besides the occasional kid's anime nowadays...

Yeah, though NYAV Post has been picking up in use and doing some great dubs, getting a bunch of bigger stuff in recent years like all of the new big budget Gundam OVAs like Unicorn, Origin, and Thunderbolt, and did the Time of Eve movie from the kickstarter, and the Cyborg 009 and now Your Name movies for A-L/Funi.

atyamamoto wrote:
The Kickstarter is for Aria: The Animation (season 1).

btw, this is Ann Yamamoto from Pied Piper Inc of the Time of EVE and Skip Beat Kickstarters. Shawne Kleckner at Righstuf helped me tremendously with both projects, and I've been part of the Aria Kickstarter prep and I'll be part of the Kickstarter from here on out.

Shawne wants to dub S2 and S3 -- but got to make the S1 a success first!

Excellent.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I don't know whether to praise their ingenuity in getting other people to fund their dub for them, or be sad an anime licensor has to do this to afford one.

It isn't a question of being able to afford producing the dub. Just like Funimation with Escaflowne, Right Stuf is trying to determine if there is enough support for a dubbed release of an older show. It limits their financial risk on the show, but I doubt that a $100k would destroy Right Stuf or be something they couldn't do on their own. I'm sure they've paid more than this for licenses in the past, and they undoubtedly have the cash flow from their store to support it.

Anyway, I haven't really supported any of anime related Kickstarter projects in the past, but I will definitely be supporting this one. I would love to see Right Stuf produce more dubbed releases.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:43 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I don't know whether to praise their ingenuity in getting other people to fund their dub for them, or be sad an anime licensor has to do this to afford one.

Considering that Right Stuf is not a distributor with a ton of resources, there is nothing sad about a company making a smart business decision. Conversely, big and might Funimation asking fans to redub Escaflowne was sad and super disingenuous. I will always support smaller anime distributors using crowd funding to finance dubs and disc releases.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:47 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:

Hey Ann, this is Marco Razz. Ann, since your part of this. Is shipping costs already included in a 55 dollar (and higher) plegde? Or is shipping costs additional?

Can confirm the shipping costs are additional. I pledged at the $55 tier and $5 was added for shipping in the US.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
If a Japanese anime studio was to do a Kickstarter to help fund a standard 12-13 episode TV anime where it would be uncensored and region-free as much as possible, that would truly be an investment. Heck, even if the collective budget was $1 million+ and they had 70 days, the backer pledging might not still reach that much.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely going to back this. My question is though what is the difference between the $55 & $60 tiers? In the description on the right they're identical but on the chart on the left it says the $55 doesn't get the BluRay set. So what's the actual difference between them?
atyamamoto

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I'm definitely going to back this. My question is though what is the difference between the $55 & $60 tiers? In the description on the right they're identical but on the chart on the left it says the $55 doesn't get the BluRay set. So what's the actual difference between them?

Thank you (in advance^^) for your support!

$55 and $60 are the same reward -- $55 is the early-bird pricing.

I just checked the chart, and indeed it needs to be corrected!!! The $55 tier gets the Blu-ray set (and the $95 tier too). You are the first person to catch this error! We'll get it fixed ASAP.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
So basically the $55 and $60 are the same thing, but the $55 is just limited as an early bird special. Gotcha. Once my paypal funds transfer to my bank Monday night I think Tuesday I'll be making my donation. Aria is definitely one of the top 5 series with no dub that I always wished had one, but never thought would get one. Sure hope it does well enough to get dubs for seasons 2 & 3. Will the VA's be doing the singing themselves? If so I look forward to knowing who winds up playing Athena. One other show I always wanted a dub for was Ano Hana and that one is getting one too. Now if only Hell Girl could get a dub for seasons 2 & 3.
aquadon1963

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I will be donating because Im a full fledged DubLover ...and there are sooooo many highly rated OOP titles that don't have a dub ..not to mention blu-ray as well..
And its great that Nazomi / rightstuf is trying to rectify this as best they can .
You Go Nazomi !!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVED your " Irresponsible Captain Tylor" project ...
great job!
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I'll back it. But announce Avvvenire already. And someone save the manga!
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:20 am Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
I will only watch it, if and when it gets dubbed..

I really don't understand this line of thought. You can clearly read, so why miss out on thousands of great anime just because lack of dub? The acting is factually superior on Japanese audio like 85% of the time as well. I don't understand why people knowingly avoid great anime because of a poor reason like this.

---------------

That aside, this anime is fantastic. I was really upset when it was pulled from Hulu last year. I'm really happy this is finally getting a bluray. Dub or no dub. 75% of the money being required for dub enforces my dislike for dubs though. As usual, I'd rather have it released sooner without a dub but I can respect that people want the dub. I won't put any money in since it will most likely be used on that aspect that I don't care for. I'll just buy it when it comes out because I need this in bluray. On the other hand... " Note that when watching the Japanese version, the subtitles will not be possible to turn off; this is a licensing requirement that we cannot change." Why do companies accept this garbage agreement? Hardsubs are freaking terrible and good for no one. Other companies do softsubs just fine. Most expensive? THAT, I would donate for.

I also noticed this line: "Directed by Junichi Sato, who also directed Sailor Moon, Princess Tutu, Magic User's Club, Kaleido Star, Tamayura, amongst others, and has also been involved with almost 100 programs in various capacities, including series composition, storyboard, theme music, supervision, and scriptwriter."

What did he ever do for theme music ever? All I can find is some lyrics for Gate Keepers. Is that all?
atyamamoto

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:31 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

" Note that when watching the Japanese version, the subtitles will not be possible to turn off; this is a licensing requirement that we cannot change." Why do companies accept this garbage agreement? Hardsubs are freaking terrible and good for no one. Other companies do softsubs just fine. Most expensive? THAT, I would donate for.

The production committees always include a company has the DVD/BD rights in Japan, and it's pretty common for them to demand hardsubs for non-Japanese BD releases. When I was negotiating with TV Tokyo for the Skip Beat license, even the TV Tokyo international licensing team were like "we wish we could get rid of this requirement, but it is a non-negotiable item from the production committee member." Ultimately, the production committee needs the Japanese domestic DVD/BD distributor on board to get the project made in the first place, and the international rights are licensed off later. I'm 100% sure that for Aria, demanding soft subs would have been a dealbreaker.

Argh... sigh.... it is so frustrating for everyone involved. Eventually maybe things will change...
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:38 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
chrisc1978 wrote:
I will only watch it, if and when it gets dubbed..

I really don't understand this line of thought. You can clearly read, so why miss out on thousands of great anime just because lack of dub? The acting is factually superior on Japanese audio like 85% of the time as well. I don't understand why people knowingly avoid great anime because of a poor reason like this.

Here is the thing. I know it's hard to understand sometimes, but some people like to actually WATCH their anime and READ their manga. Also, you miss out on a lot of things when you watch ANYTHING in a language that you aren't fluent in. Take Spice and Wolf, you would miss out on all the dialects and subtle nuances that are not always conveyed in a manner that is appropriate to someone of a different culture who speaks a different language to understand.

Look, you can argue the dub vs sub all you want but in the end people like what people like. I can name so many shows where it's a benefit to watch it dubbed if English is your first language (Black Lagoon, Full Metal Alchemist, Ergo Proxy, Oh My Edo Rocket, all come to mind). You can argue against this all you want but it doesn't change the fact that having no dub does put a show on a lower priority list than those that do. And with broadcast dubs, the shows with no dub actually get pushed lower on that list as new show come into view.

It really comes down to convenience at that point and dubs are more convenient than subs for the many English speaking anime fans.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:51 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I honestly don't know. If Nozomi stated that they would contract it out to Funimation or Sentai then I'd get a good idea what it could sound like but this could be anything.

true enough. I have never heard of headline studios before. the only dubbing studio I know of that is in new york is of course NYAV which have highly respected VAs. this news on the studio have me worried that it will get a half assed performance unlike other series under nozumi's belt.

at least the series is finally getting an English dub after all this time. If escaflone can be successful in reaching its goal , then I hope that aria can as well. though there haven't been any news on kodomo no jikan's manga which also had a kickstarter project. considering that I haven't seen any releases of that series, its might be the unfortunate case that the series didn't reach its project goal which mean any possible chances of even the anime version getting released is slim to none now.

hopefully other rightstuff/nozumi titles can get projects like these so they can too get dubbed. especially for a series like emma which more or less warrants one. and of course maria watches over us.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6