• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toonami Adds 1 Hour to Programming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dark13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm Just happy we are getting IBO S2 in October after TG so no lose for me.
digidragon
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Ronin2081 wrote:
I might be wrong since I haven't cared much about Toonami lately but the block starts at 11:30pm or it did last week, right? So the block isn't "moving up an hour" but gaining back 30 minutes that it previously lost at the front end and every show moves up 30 minutes. Right?

So why is the tagline for the article saying Toonami has gained an hour of programming?

You're right, the block was pushed back in October so that it would run from midnight to 3:30 a.m. ET. Now it will run from 11:00 a.m. to 3:30 a.m. -- the gained hour is 11pm-12am.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
@ digidragon:

It's because no articles here acknowledged that Samurai Jack was the reason Toonami started at 11pm and when reruns started, it eventually moved to 3:30pm, causing the block to lose the 11:30pm slot for several weeks (which I believe Adult Swim was just experimenting to see how an exclusive season of an American animated action show would do on reruns in the same time slot).

By the way, none of this is me arguing Samurai Jack is an anime, because it's not and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just explaining why ANN likely never reported any of this.
anifani

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
TAKE OFF SHIPPUDEN! Unless the episodes are fresh off the latest dub then DONT AIR EPISODES from 5 yrs ago!

I just got back into Naruto Shippuden...thoroughly enjoying it. This arc is amazing....the feels! I didn't think these episodes aired before...at least on TV?

Count me in as one of those who doesn't stream. Not everyone in the US is rolling in money (in fact...most are not), and Cartoon Network is part of basic cable. Toonami is the only block on CN worth watching....at least for me. Razz
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
@ digidragon:

It's because no articles here acknowledged that Samurai Jack was the reason Toonami started at 11pm and when reruns started, it eventually moved to 3:30pm, causing the block to lose the 11:30pm slot for several weeks (which I believe Adult Swim was just experimenting to see how an exclusive season of an American animated action show would do on reruns in the same time slot).

By the way, none of this is me arguing Samurai Jack is an anime, because it's not and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just explaining why ANN likely never reported any of this.

I forgot about ANN never reporting about SamJack. Guess that is why they are making it seem like Toonami is getting an hour back and misleading readers.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote
anifani wrote:
Count me in as one of those who doesn't stream. Not everyone in the US is rolling in money (in fact...most are not), and Cartoon Network is part of basic cable. Toonami is the only block on CN worth watching....at least for me. Razz

Here's the other thing: there are fans who don't know about streaming or any of the other cool kid stuff rely on cable to get their fix. Toonami is as good of a gateway to otakudom than anything else.
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
a part of me wonders whats going to happen once kai finishes and we no longer have Dragon Ball power hour
digidragon
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
@Hypeathon

Thanks for explaining, I see what happened. Article is fixed now.
ECW28

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:
I'm kind of shocked that people still care about a TV block for anime in the West. Their ratings seem to be going down, which isn't shocking since the internet exists now and I feel like the nostalgia people initially had when the block was brought back is slowly fading away as well.

the problem is that new eps of super shows early well before the block even starts, and even then the only series people are interested was AoT which ended its run and hunter x hunter but that show way too late. and dont want to admit it, but like with one piece, its too late run shippuden on AS anymore UNLESS they decide to actually run new episodes or an arc close to it. if they had just skipped to the paramount arc or at least to the impel down arc, then one piece would still be on the lineup. its still not too late for shippuden. they should just skip these eps that were shown 5 years ago as well as the fillers and go straight to the start of the tail beast training arc/ 4th great ninja war arc.

also what the hell were they thinking in bringing stardust crusaders? i mean viz media only dubbed THREE EPISODES before seemingly abandoning the whole thing. and so far there haven't been any sign that the even have the license of that series let alone that they even dubbed the rest of the episodes. would have been better off if AS had gotten another popular shounen type series like my hero academia S1.

You realize that Viz does have the license and have been dubbing it the past year? Hence why it took so long to premiere.
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:48 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
a part of me wonders whats going to happen once kai finishes and we no longer have Dragon Ball power hour

From what I've seen it hasn't been much of a "power hour" for them.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh look a rerun of AoT because DeMarco and the gang probably paid Funi a pretty penny for it even though it's no available to binge on As of and other platforms.

About Boku no Hero. Funi kept that one for themselves and Hulu so that isn't coming to Toonami anytime soon.

The real question is, what happen to the relationship with Sentai Filmworks?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:10 pm Reply with quote
If your going to voice a complaint you should type it up in a more formal way, not a paragraph list with random caps and sound words where you feel like.

Now to address your points,

1- Shippuden is not the issue, it does fine.

2- Block lenght is not the issue, the time of the block is, people are busy on Saturday night and don't always feel like staying up till 3 AM to watch stuff. If the block ran for 4 hours from say 8-12 I'm sure you'd see better ratings because it's on at a more accessible time.

3- Shounen is the bread and butter of Toonami, has been since it originally ran in the early 2000s. They've tried other shows and they have almost always struggled and failed.

I will agree though that they have a serious issue with too many long running shows, you can do short shounen seasons like My Hero Academia and AOT have. One Piece got canned only to have HxH, another long Shounen, take it's place. I won't knock points for JOJO because people were asking for that for years.[/quote]

Have u payed attention to Shippuden's ratings dude? they have been below 580k for almost the entire year...! U actually like the fact that you're watching washed up reruns of a series 99% of people have seen over 5 yrs ago and continue having that stink up the latter half of a block that doesn't need Shippuden to survive?? You'd rather have yrs upon yrs of Shippuden airing while toonami passes up on more promising series like Steins Gate, Death Parade, Erased, SMC, BORUTO and i can go on forever...You'd rather see Shippuden air its entire 500 episode run before even watching Boruto's upcoming dub?? Really dude?

Now second, the ratings on AS before 1030-11 are absolutely terrible or simply not good enough, plus Anime on primetime hasn't seen the light of day in YEARS, even Demarco(Toonami Head) has said primetime is a terrible time to show anime no matter what day of the week. Even premieres of DBS at 8 dont do so well so that 8-12 shtick is beyond beating a dead horse at this point.

3rd, Battle shonen is a dying breed, especially never ending long runners. Its becoming a thing of the past to sit through a weekly 1000 episode series for years and years which is why OP got canned and Shippuden is next. In 2015 Toonami wen towards the more seinen route and the ratings skyrocketed, even in 2014 they were somewhat stellar but during these days its laughable to put all your chips on the table for battle shonen series. Besides the numbers are shitty every week for all the long running series on the block. People have moved on from cable and generic anime watching on tv. Toonami will be cancelled in the upcoming yrs if they continue this trend so NO.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:

Thats why they aired Death Note(AS) Hellsing and Black Lagoon right? Toonami is on Adult Swim at the end of the day so it doesnt have to always continue as a definitive action oriented anime block. If u like retarded battle shonen with screams, friendship powers and plot armor ass pulls then do you dude.

Mane, Toonami is an action block, not an anime block, and if you want a show to be on Toonami e.g. Jourmungand, Justice League or Code Geass etc, go on their Tumblr page. Most, if not all of the shows that have aired on Toonami are heavily requested by the fans.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
I'm kind of shocked that people still care about a TV block for anime in the West. Their ratings seem to be going down, which isn't shocking since the internet exists now and I feel like the nostalgia people initially had when the block was brought back is slowly fading away as well.

Not everyone uses the Internet to watch anime. Some people don't follow the newer anime and likes to check out what is new on TV. Personally I would not bother with shows like Space Dandy and Kill la Kill if they didn't air on Toonami. I don't care about newer anime titles expect for a few and Toonami airing new stuff helps some people know what is current. I found myself liking One Punch Man again with the English dub.

Not to mention I had no idea what Akame Ga Kill and Michiko & Hatchin are until Toonami aired them. I stop following the newer seasonal anime since the mid 2000's. As someone who does find Toonami to be overrated, I still like having anime on TV.
anifani

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Have u payed attention to Shippuden's ratings dude? they have been below 580k for almost the entire year...! U actually like the fact that you're watching washed up reruns of a series 99% of people have seen over 5 yrs ago and continue having that stink up the latter half of a block that doesn't need Shippuden to survive??

1st... I feel really special being in that 1%... Wink Again... didn't think they were reruns... on TV anyway.

2nd... How do they get these ratings? I know so many people watching Toonami, and I'm from a small city. Question
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4