• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Is Coffee Brewed In Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scalfin

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
What countries use moka pots?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:43 pm Reply with quote
s0nicfreak wrote:
I make hot chocolate, tea, instant noodles, and instant oatmeal with my coffee machine (in addition to coffee)... I'm a bit confused anyone thinks coffee machines "only prepare a single type of drink"! If you don't put ground coffee inside, they are just the same as an electric kettle or small electric water boiler.

Instant noodles too? Shocked

Of course, technically you can make any brew by replacing coffee with other types of powder, but they still share the same piping in the machine. If I were to enjoy my favorite drink from beans or leaves I'd rather use clean and separate glassware or porcelain; if I just want a quick breakfast drink I'd buy cans or bottles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Jake Jung

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Just to add a bit of extra info, a few years all the convenience store chains installed coffee machines that grind and brew a single serving of beans on the spot. You buy the cup at the cash register, and they also had ice-filled cups if iced coffee is your thing. Most highway rest areas have vending machines that brew coffee in much the same way.
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:52 pm Reply with quote
My relationship with coffee is as follows:

Tried cappuccino in a cafe, thought I could use trying coffee to encourage myself to work. Yuck!
Tried a latte the second time. Even worse!
Tried cappuccino again the third time. Yucky but surprisingly drinkable.
Over time I came to appreciate the cappuccino and the big caffeine rush it gave me. I used it as an excuse to go to cafes and do kanji drills. I tried an americano at once stage but I just couldn't stand it and assumed that was just what black coffee tasted like.
Then off I went to Japan. I was tired on the plane but couldn't sleep, so decided to try and stay awake instead. They had coffee, and I had it black. Was really surprised, tasted completely different to the americano.
Arrived in Japan, made coffee a regular thing, and quickly went from adding a little milk to having it black only. I noticed that 'blend' coffee was the standard in Japan, and espresso machines were rare outside of Starbucks. I made a cafe near my apartment my 'local', and they vacuum brewed their coffee. It was great every time.
I've come back to Ireland now and become incredibly snobby about coffee here. Almost everywhere does espresso-based coffee. I actually find cappucino nauseating now. I go for americano because its bitter, but its far too harsh. Recently I found one of the ten or so cafes on the main road near I live serves filter coffee. For one pound more than the standard you get the closest thing to the kind in Japan, really lovely. So I go there a lot now, to study Japanese again and prepare to go back to Japan.
s0nicfreak

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Of course, technically you can make any brew by replacing coffee with other types of powder, but they still share the same piping in the machine. If I were to enjoy my favorite drink from beans or leaves I'd rather use clean and separate glassware or porcelain; if I just want a quick breakfast drink I'd buy cans or bottles.

In most home coffee machines, the only thing that goes through the piping is water. The machine then pours the water over the beans or leaves, which are contained are in a disposable filter; this filter is thrown in the trash or the compost heap after one use, so you are using a separate one each time. The area that contains the filter is generally removable, so it can be cleaned. In the case of instant noodles, oatmeal, etc. the water is combined with the noodles (or whatever) after it exits the machine. Nothing ever touches anything that has touched a previous food/drink without being washed.
Ceewayne

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I like using a French Press for coffee making myself. I am a bit of a coffee snob.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Sounded like a boring question, but I ended up finding it interesting even though I hate coffee.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I've only had one cup of coffee in my life, at the time I was sufficiently intoxicated that I have no idea what it tasted like. Laughing
nargun

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
hickey92 wrote:
You could say the same thing about electric kettles being fairly uncommon in US kitchens, but utterly ubiquitous in UK ones.

They don't work in the US. Countries with 110V electricity don't have the ubiquitous high power you're used to; UK house wiring is ridiculous -- forty amps, or basically 10kW, which is why UK power cords are fused -- but in australia, say, a standard power outlet will deliver 10A or 2.3kW. In the US it's 15A, but it's at 110V, so it's only 1.6kW.
TheAngryOtaku

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Aside from a French Press, this was always how I made coffee in NYC. When I moved to Tokyo I was able to find plastic single brew-cones at the 100 yen shop (I preferred plastic because my clumsiness and the occasional earthquake sent it tumbling to the kitchen floor more than a few times). But being a true coffee otaku myself, I did have Kenya AA French Roast mailed to me from my favorite roaster however since a lot of what is offered isn't really marked in terms of region unless you go to relatively pricey specialty shops.
It seemed that most Japanese who work a lot tend to get coffee from coffee shops and the ever present vending machines of every size and type.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:55 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
hickey92 wrote:
You could say the same thing about electric kettles being fairly uncommon in US kitchens, but utterly ubiquitous in UK ones.

They don't work in the US.

o.0

For something that doesn't work - one wonders why every major retailer sells them. One also wonders why I've seen them work. Or, in other words - you're wrong.

Quote:
UK house wiring is ridiculous -- forty amps, or basically 10kW, which is why UK power cords are fused

UK house wiring is ridiculous, and the cords are fused, because they use ring circuits rather than the radial circuits used in the pretty all the rest of the world. (Including Japan - where electric boilers are ubiquitous and the standard voltage is 100v.)
Suena

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
hickey92 wrote:

They don't work in the US. Countries with 110V electricity don't have the ubiquitous high power you're used to; UK house wiring is ridiculous -- forty amps, or basically 10kW, which is why UK power cords are fused -- but in australia, say, a standard power outlet will deliver 10A or 2.3kW. In the US it's 15A, but it's at 110V, so it's only 1.6kW.

My parents (in the US) use an electric kettle daily, so they absolutely can work here.
seoulman1985

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Reminds me of when Sakamoto used chemistry equipment from the school science lab to brew coffee in the credits of Haven't you Heard? I'm Sakamoto.
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Here in the USA, we're all used to electric coffeemakers. mostly because the electric percolator coffemaker became widely available by the early 1920's. As such, it was a natural when home electric drip coffeemakers became widely available, starting with the pioneering Mr. Coffee machine in 1972. And that led to the Keurig K-Cup system, introduced in 1997.

I believe due to the tiny size of kitchens in Japanese homes, that's why home coffeemaking went in a totally different direction than the USA, as mentioned in the article. Not only is manual pour-over drip coffeemakers popular (thanks to the popularity of hot water air pots), but also instant coffee is popular there (UCC makes a huge line of instant coffee there). Also, many in Japan consume their coffee from beverage cans, led by the Boss, Georgia, Pokka and UCC brands.
drain131

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote
The element is responsible for bringing the water to a boil. When you switch on the kettle, the element heats up and brings the water to boil. ... In many Anex electric kettles, the element is hidden inside the base of the kettle so that it doesn't come in contact with the water.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6