• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Royal Tutor

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaccide

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Were those the seiyuu in that ending? How cute! They really looked the parts.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:46 am Reply with quote
They're also the cast for the stage play, which is probably what the live end credits were promoting.

I'd have preferred if they'd just recreated the ending shot for shot. The dancing was just too much. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I honestly can't guess where they're going from here, at least as to Heine's past. I can think of a dozen different possibilities, and none of them seem more likely than the others at this point. Supernatural was one thing I hadn't entertained, but hey, anything could happen. Smile I'm still wondering how Kai keeps his jacket hanging off one shoulder like that no matter what he's doing, so yeah, magic's not off the table.

I most enjoyed the "I'm not going to kidnap you." ::kidnaps him:: bit. But the revelation about his cousin was a genuine surprise!
zztop

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:41 am Reply with quote
I asked around how things went in the manga version.

In the manga, Eins is introduced at this point of the story. However, he's also a walking mystery like Haine there.

Eins is depicted as spoiler[black-haired, 24 years old, much taller than Viktor, with a very serious personality. Although said to be extremely talented and capable, he acts very cold and distant around his father and brothers, and hardly talks to his siblings. He does keep close tabs on his siblings' movements, and is shown to be close to Rosenberg.
Viktor just says he feels Eins is unsuitable to be king given "things as they are now", but it's never openly stated what things he is uncomfortable with. Some readers theorized it's Eins' arrogance, or being too open to Rosenberg's influence, that makes Viktor doubt Eins's capacity to rule.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:00 am Reply with quote
The problem with the story is that it did not explain where the super fighting powers came from, why he was able to beat up a bunch of people as a royal tutor, but also as a street urchin. The going from illiterate to genius just feels like a copout, like apparently he was just being lazy before then, and perhaps mixed messages with the other character who is not that smart.

Like being friends with the king is some secret that must never come out because he was falsely accused of a crime that he was requited of by the person, with dozens of people that would have known about the relationship be discarded in favour of a trigger happy guard who should have been disgraced.
zztop

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:04 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The problem with the story is that it did not explain where the super fighting powers came from, why he was able to beat up a bunch of people as a royal tutor, but also as a street urchin. The going from illiterate to genius just feels like a copout, like apparently he was just being lazy before then, and perhaps mixed messages with the other character who is not that smart.

Like being friends with the king is some secret that must never come out because he was falsely accused of a crime that he was requited of by the person, with dozens of people that would have known about the relationship be discarded in favour of a trigger happy guard who should have been disgraced.

On his fighting skills, the manga implies Haine spoiler[served in the military during the nation's last war.]
On his genius, Haine mentions in the manga he studied spoiler["because he had to, as a matter of survival".
]

Keep in mind Haine's origins are still an ongoing mystery in the manga, and the anime's just been loosely adapting some of these hints.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:09 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
...but also as a street urchin.

Well, define "urchin." I think he's at least the same age as Victor, perhaps a little older, so if he's in his late teens when they meet, that's still years of survival on the street to hone some skills.

It did seem like an unconscionably long time to keep him in jail (or he needs haircuts twice a week). Surely Victor wasn't in a coma all that time. He should have been released as soon as Victor woke up and vouched for him.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:48 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well, define "urchin." I think he's at least the same age as Victor, perhaps a little older, so if he's in his late teens when they meet, that's still years of survival on the street to hone some skills.

Well someone who's skills should come from what would be needed to survive on the street, whiched seemed to be where he was as relatively non-violent that all the others looked like children. Shouldn't be expected from the story fed so far regardless of someone saying he fought on the other side of some war in passing, that he could wield a heavy log with his scrawny limbs and take on trained soldiers, or what he did with kidnappers.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
It did seem like an unconscionably long time to keep him in jail (or he needs haircuts twice a week). Surely Victor wasn't in a coma all that time. He should have been released as soon as Victor woke up and vouched for him.

And yet no facial hair, so if indeed he is the same age then either someone was shaving him, or he has something like a hormonal thing where he does not grow facial hair, like low testosterone which even more goes into how he can lift the weight.

As it stands I am still find it a little gross out by the playboy character is only a 14 year old, which made his adult like actions suspect. that despite his design he would be junior high age. My other complaints will come out probably when the show ends.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course this would temporarily reduce each prince to a bawling mess before finding the resolve to use everything Heine taught them to get him back, through what felt more like a screaming contest than the elaborate look-how-much-we've-grown plea it was presented to be.

Yeah, that really blocked off my tear ducts. All that shouting got on my nerves the same way it does when people yell at each other while they're hiding (lookin' at you, Albus). I suppose it demonstrated both how far they'd come and how desperately they were still in need of a tutor?

Maybe the council just couldn't find a way to oppose all that love-the-poor rhetoric in front of the King without losing favor in his eyes.

But overall I enjoyed the show very much, and I'd watch another season if they can figure out how to go on without tripping over the anime-original ending.
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I was genuinely surprised the first prince finally made an appearance. The way the series was going, I thought he was never going to appear. I was also shocked at how different he looks from his father and brothers. I'm hoping he has an interesting backstory (although I personally have no plans on reading the manga and I don't expect this show to get a second season).
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Roxas4ever wrote:
I was genuinely surprised the first prince finally made an appearance. The way the series was going, I thought he was never going to appear. I was also shocked at how different he looks from his father and brothers. I'm hoping he has an interesting backstory (although I personally have no plans on reading the manga and I don't expect this show to get a second season).

I don't think the source has covered the 1st's backstory yet. His motives are still an ongoing mystery.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote
And I am someone who did not nearly as much think of as fondly as this show. I would go so far as to say that Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor beat it in most respects in terms of a teacher story, I was talking to my sister about this and she was agreeing. Heine really kind of failed in a few aspects, such as that he was too perfect, lacking in flaws that would make him more relatable. Even if there were hints that there was more to his story, the flashback they gave did not address it enough, as it is now, the king's old friend not only became a teacher, but somehow became a genius, giving him not only good world views but super smart. It was problem enough where in the first episode he perfectly read them, but it was not that hard when all it took to read one was a diary.

If there was a better way to do this, then it was too rushed to explore these characters, and the shouting out how great they are to all of those old men who would logically be quite happy with a sort of status quo stability instead of some wildcard putting who knows what thoughts into their heads.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2