• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Super Anime Reveals Story, Visual for 'Universe Survival' Arc

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:17 am Reply with quote
Oww, TOEI seems willing to adopt the old Dragon Ball formula forced on Toriyama in the early days after the first Tenkaichi Budôkai success (and the explosion of followers it triggered). The author was able to get partially rid of it and the animation just puts it back again.

Admiral Pizzaman wrote:
Again? Just how many martial arts tournament focused arcs are there in Dragon Ball franchise? I hope this upcoming one will be entertaining enough.

Shay Guy wrote:
So how many Budokai-type arcs is this now? There was the first one, that Roshi won as Jackie Chun... the one introducing Tien... Goku vs. Piccolo Jr... do the Cell Games count? If not, I suppose the next would be the one Babidi crashed.

Add the one closing the manga, where Goku takes Ûb as disciple and heir.
A few of them were pretty entertaining. Even the pre-Bû one had a good moment with the kids final.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:50 am Reply with quote
AyanamiRei wrote:
Oww, TOEI seems willing to adopt the old Dragon Ball formula forced on Toriyama in the early days after the first Tenkaichi Budôkai success (and the explosion of followers it triggered). The author was able to get partially rid of it and the animation just puts it back again.

Admiral Pizzaman wrote:
Again? Just how many martial arts tournament focused arcs are there in Dragon Ball franchise? I hope this upcoming one will be entertaining enough.

Shay Guy wrote:
So how many Budokai-type arcs is this now? There was the first one, that Roshi won as Jackie Chun... the one introducing Tien... Goku vs. Piccolo Jr... do the Cell Games count? If not, I suppose the next would be the one Babidi crashed.

Add the one closing the manga, where Goku takes Ûb as disciple and heir.
A few of them were pretty entertaining. Even the pre-Bû one had a good moment with the kids final.

Since when was that format "forced" on Toriyama?
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:03 am Reply with quote
johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:
Since when was that format "forced" on Toriyama?

Sorry, I meant that even though he initiated the first tournament, there was pressure through feedback/popularity etc to go back to another Tenkaichi Budôkai, then another one, then...

edit: all my excuses then. I only used things I read in books and articles from professionals (=/= the Internet) but if this is held as pure rumours only here, I should now abstain myself.

Last edited by AyanamiRei on Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:09 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

This last arc basically was. They took a hodgepodge of stuff from GT and crammed it into a single arc instead of 3.

Gee I don't recall Super having Goku, Baby Pan, or Kid Trunks going on a galaxy spanning trip to find DragonBalls we never heard of to keep the Earth from blowing up or Goku fighting a more powerful version of Android 17.....and whatever the last arc of GT was about Rolling Eyes

AyanamiRei wrote:

Sorry, I meant that even though he initiated the first tournament, there was pressure through feedback/popularity etc to go back to another Tenkaichi Budôkai, then another one, then...

....This sounds akin to the "Toriyama was forced to continue DragonBall eventhough he wanted to end it after the Frieza arc" argument that people have been insisting upon without proof for the last two decades or so.
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:18 am Reply with quote
Although i'm happy to see 17 again, why is Roshi there instead of Goten and Trunks? Seriously isn't it about time the kids got aged and finally did something of note ? Especially Goten, what a waste of a character that's literally done nothing aside being fusion material. Kid Trunks gets a pass because of his alternate future self. Also honestly Super isn't much better than GT, in fact in some cases it's worse. The First two arcs were nothing but a retelling of two movies, one of which came out last year. The third arc was a letdown. The last arc started off good but faltered towards the end and had numerous flaws and inconsistencies like more so than usual and Future Trunks who was an awesome badass before became a walking plot device. Now this next arc is a rehash of the third arc but expanded. The good news is gohan is finally doing something so there's one thing I'm looking forward to
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Team battles sounds like fun. I want a Piccolo+Gohan team.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, if there was no backlash when Gohan beats Cell before. I'm sure Gohan would've been the most powerful Saiyan ever.
vgiannell5

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
If Android 17 is in this arc, I can't image how he will react to his sister being married to Krillin and that he's an uncle to their daughter.
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
vgiannell5 wrote:
If Android 17 is in this arc, I can't image how he will react to his sister being married to Krillin and that he's an uncle to their daughter.

Toriyama said before that the couple met N°17 a couple of times, specified his job, who he was married with (they have adopted children by the way) and maybe some other things before. But I don't know if it is supposed to have already happened before Super years or if he was talking about the final Dragon Ball ellipse.
oFFoy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Lelouch Vi wrote:
Although i'm happy to see 17 again, why is Roshi there instead of Goten and Trunks? Seriously isn't it about time the kids got aged and finally did something of note ? Especially Goten, what a waste of a character that's literally done nothing aside being fusion material. Kid Trunks gets a pass because of his alternate future self. Also honestly Super isn't much better than GT, in fact in some cases it's worse. The First two arcs were nothing but a retelling of two movies, one of which came out last year. The third arc was a letdown. The last arc started off good but faltered towards the end and had numerous flaws and inconsistencies like more so than usual and Future Trunks who was an awesome badass before became a walking plot device. Now this next arc is a rehash of the third arc but expanded. The good news is gohan is finally doing something so there's one thing I'm looking forward to

And even more honestly, GT is not bad in the first place, there just seems to be some kind of a circle-jerk going on the internet that it is bad. At this point, people are just saying this just because they saw other people say it.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Hugh Mungus wrote:
malvarez1 wrote:
I actually wouldn't be shocked if this is the final arc. I mean, it seems like everything was leading up to this arc.

Nah, I'm pretty sure they'll find a way to continue and keep going if Super is successful enough.

This last arc could easily take a year or more. But they don't have to keep the show going forever. They could end Super and come up with another DB show. The new show could focus on Goten and Trunks.
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:21 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:

This last arc could easily take a year or more. But they don't have to keep the show going forever. They could end Super and come up with another DB show. The new show could focus on Goten and Trunks.

The manga itself was never able to put Goku on the side. Unless today's anime japanese followers are better to cope with Goku's "replacement", it will be hard to make it happen.
Look at tSuper and the initiating movies, TOEI prefered to locate them at the beginning of the final ellipse rather than later where Ûb (as Goku's disciple) and Pan could have been used.

Also, Trunks and Goten are supposed to become laid back normal teenagers. (as normal as you can go for Trunks as the CC's heir, while Goten won't assume his look-alike status anymore)
megazero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Looks like characters not named Goku and Vegeta will get to shine again.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:12 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
jr240483 wrote:

also what's 17 doing there? unless 18 used the dragon balls to bring him back, the only other way is that he's either from future trunks' timeline, or somehow he escaped from hell ala GT's Super Android 17 arc.

also why is bang zoom doing the dub? dont know why funi would decide to outsource the dub for super instead of using their VAs that every dub fan knows. whatever their reasons for,its a bad decision cause that would pretty much peeved every last DBZ fan if they go through with it.

17 was already wished back at the end of the Cell arc, as was everyone else killed by Cell, like Future Trunks. He takes part in the Genki Dama at the end of the Buu arc.

Also, the Bang Zoom English dub isn't the dub being used for the North American market, but rather for English-speaking audiences in Asia. Funimation is dubbing in house for the NA release.

uh your talking about that arc when pan and ub appeared and took part in the genki dama, right??? cause i rewatched that arc (both the original and the kai version) as well as read that chapter in the manga. i didn't see any mention of 17 being alive at the slightest let alone him participating in the genki dama. and there were zero hints on him being alive when it was showing in the 90's too. like it or not but something seriously smells wrong here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:09 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

uh you're talking about that arc when pan and ub appeared and took part in the genki dama, right??? cause i rewatched that arc (both the original and the kai version) as well as read that chapter in the manga. i didn't see any mention of 17 being alive at the slightest let alone him participating in the genki dama. and there were zero hints on him being alive when it was showing in the 90's too. like it or not but something seriously smells wrong here.

What's this? o_O Pan and Ûb aren't even born at the end of Bû's story.
He was talking about this moment:

Sorry, it is badly scanned and from the old french flipped edition, but the pictures should be enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2