• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Keyakizaka46 Idol Group Members' Nazi-Like Costumes Raise Eyebrows

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I don't know that I would have seen it if not for the eagles on the caps. So maybe they should just exercise a tiny little modicum of discretion and err toward different decorations for their headwear.

I understand the allure of Nazi fashion. I recall that Kurt Vonnegut described their uniform as, "madly theatrical." It's just that given the relatively recentness of the associated infamous acts, the persistent popularity of their aesthetic among, shall we say, 'frog people' and the hints that anti-Semitism is creeping back upward in popularity (sometimes in places, among people one might not expect), it feels appropriate to feel unease at seeing Nazi uniforms used as a 'style'.

Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
It's a costume. Get over it. These people are as bad as the fragile little snowflakes on college campuses that are complaining about Mexican sombreros and how Halloween costumes are offensive.

You rather come across as being unable to, "get over it." I guess ANN isn't a safe space for you.

Looking at it was like , "What, that's not that ba--what the **** were they thinking when they made those hats."

Last Week Tonight did a piece on Thailand's casual use of nazi symbols and hitler (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzD-M8FgLKU ) maybe it's the same sort of ignorance on display here?
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh Goebbels-Chan please gas me with your desu desu showers!

I find it funny how all of the above comments just seemed to ignore the bottom part of the article about a goddamn anime about moe Nazis! The two girls wearing vaguely nazi uniforms? I guess it's fine, seeing as Nazi paraphernalia and aesthetics seems to have permeated asian culture with examples coming up in the news from time to time from China, India, Korea and Japan. And the Japanese seem to be looking back at the 20s-40s in rose-tinted moefied glasses with examples in Kantai Collection and Girls Und Panzer, rising nationalism....but come on, that anime about Moe Nazis?
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:45 pm Reply with quote
It's not bad but surely it will trigger some other countries and Japan will be discriminated and lashed again. This is what happened to Hetalia's Korea(If u know what I mean u can guess lol) there was a scene in the webtoon where Korea was groping Japan's manly chest and yes the Korean government was enraged and dared to brought up their stingy history, officials asks Prime minister to ban Hetalia from Korea, anything historical-related inaccurate or accurate can be used as a backslash weapon
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

German Guilt, it's a mess and it's the reason for the migrant crisis.

The *reason* for the migrant crises is war and terrorism in Middle Eastern countries, especially Syria.
The reason Germany is allowing more refugees in their country than other European countries, is definitely at least partly due to their guilt. But frankly, I commend them for it. I am not proud of the United States' reluctance to take in refugees (even from countries the US *started* wars in, namely Afghanistan and Iraq).

Hoppy800 wrote:
In Germany, a man got arrested for having his dog do the Nazi salute obviously in jest not for seriousness whatsoever, it's like they didn't know how the internet works unlike RL.

As for the outfit, I don't see any swastikas anywhere and thus could pass as a generic dictator's outfit. I'd have an issue if they were on the outfit.

Yup, that's ridiculous. But at least they can make satirical entertainment like the book & movie Look Who's Back!
In terms of the costumes, one could reasonably argue that it's not specifically Nazi inspired. I don't know what they were trying to go for, but rehashing WWII was probably not it. Let's leave that to anime like Joker's Game and Izetta!
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:26 pm Reply with quote
The reason Nazi uniforms are usually regarded as "stylish," this can be credited to their designer and Nazi party member Hugo Boss. His fashion house is still popular for high-end men's wear.

http://www.hugoboss.com/us?gclid=CJOK_uzNhtACFU9afgodD-YPgQ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:40 pm Reply with quote
MexRAGE wrote:
Maybe i am wrong...but they look more like the uniform used by the military police back on the late 1800s early 1900s...

That was my thought too... They look like a lot of widely used uniforms from that period, as well into the 20's and 30's. I saw no resemblance to Nazi uniforms at all.

But then I'm educated and not part of the terminally offended crowd, who break out in hives if they go a whole day without finding something to be offended about. (Nor a part of the bandwagon crowd who jump in right after them.)
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:08 pm Reply with quote
say what you will about the nazis, but you have to admit they had style
kyuudere

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Kotaku starts all of this bullshit, I see.

Though I don't see any problems with it. If """people""" being so angry that these girls wear costume that almost resemble German's military outfit during WW2, perhaps they should be angry to any kind of military outfit cosplay. Every militaries has their own problem with crime against human rights, I believe. In Indonesia, our military forces killed about half a million people during 1965, and nobody in the western even raises eyebrows. Hell, even until now our government won't apologize for it and proud of what they did (remove Commie from SE Asia as big brother USA told us Laughing ).

Same thing like how we in SE Asia or Asia in general don't care about what happened in German during WW2. We even have Nazi cafe in Indonesia and it's totally legal!
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/nazi-themed-caf-in-indonesia-re-opens-keeping-the-swastikas-and-images-of-hitler-it-pledged-to-9554643.html

Just get over it already!

Note:
Keyakizaka's costume is always themed military, and that pic is just the black version of their outfit for Silent Majority single. The cape and the hats however, is not a part of their management decision, I believe. I think the event organizer, who suggested it to make it look even more cool, and that doesn't necessarily mean they are intend to copy Nazi style, they might be not aware what kind of Nazi's outfit is!
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
Those uniforms look almost nothing like real Nazi uniforms hell a lot of uniforms from Warhamer 40.000 and other various games look way more like a Nazi uniform than that one does. Rolling Eyes
Little_Hawk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:54 am Reply with quote
I don't want to offend anyone, but it's clothing with a slight resemblance that wasn't on purpose, get over it.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:53 am Reply with quote
Pretty sensitive topic here so I ain't gonna say much but personally, I don't really care about the costume.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
You've gotta agree that they looked stylish. (After all, Hugo Boss designed the original Nazi uniforms) Plus it doesn't really screams Nazi when you look at it. They don't even put on Swastika armband, and the most similar looking thing was just the hat. How I see it, it looks more like generic military police dress that you can find in costume shop, and I don't see it being offensive to anyone.

Yeah, get over it.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:27 am Reply with quote
The just immense amount of ignorance about this is just incredible. Whoever said to Keyakizaka46 that they wear costumes that are evocative of the Waffen-SS is a complete idiot. What the Nazis did to people,especially Jews is something that shouldn't be forgotten. If these gals perform here,especially in those outfits,there would be protests and they be justified in that. The ignorance that these girls displayed is amazing. But,these girls aren't the only ignorant ones here.
One of the posters here,Agent355 attacked many in the United States for their reluctance to accept Syrian refugees. Has this person not seen the wave of terrorist attacks in Europe and the U.S.? At the beginning of this year,some refugees decided to pay Germany back for letting them come and live in their country by sexually assaulting numerous women in a number of German cities. There's also the "Charlie Hebdo" attack,the Orlando nightclub attack and other attacks like it. It's also well-known the terrorist group ISIS wants to infiltrate the refugee population so the fears of terrorist attacks like what we've seen in Europe aren't groundless.

These refugees aren't like the Jews fleeing Nazi Germany in the mid to late 1930's. These people weren't threatening the societies they were fleeing to. They weren't beheading people or burning people alive in cages. They weren't killing their own daughters to uphold some twisted form of honor. They weren't threatening Americans or others or trying to force their religion on to others who didn't want it. They were screaming "Death to America!" every five seconds or running down people while they're celebrating a national holiday while thinking that God would bless their horrific misdeed.
Maybe Agent355 should bone up on his or her history a little more. The Jews fleeing to America and elsewhere in the 1930's have little similarity to what's happening now. The Jews fleeing Nazi Germany were fleeing an evil regime that wanted to eliminate them. They wanted to continue being Jews,whether it be in Lisbon,Paris,Tel Aviv,New York,or Miami. There was little to fear from them. There is a lot to fear from the current batch of refugees. We don't know where this person is really from or if he's a legitimate refugee or an ISIS terrorist bent on more mayhem.

There's also something to say about Keyakizaka46. It could be that if they do decide to come to America,among those who might protest their visit might be the children and grandchildren of Holocaust survivors who lived through the most horrific things imaginable and also among them might the children and grandchildren of the American soldiers who helped destroy Hitler's mad dream of a thousand year Reich. Maybe these girls and those in places like Thailand should get a better idea of what Hitler and the Nazis were really like. To them,it's just some goofy piece of kitsch. To the overwhelming majority of Americans and others,it represents an evil rarely seen in human history. An evil that shouldn't be forgotten or trivialized.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:04 am Reply with quote
kyuudere wrote:
Kotaku starts all of this bullshit, I see.

Though I don't see any problems with it. If """people""" being so angry that these girls wear costume that almost resemble German's military outfit during WW2, perhaps they should be angry to any kind of military outfit cosplay. Every militaries has their own problem with crime against human rights, I believe. In Indonesia, our military forces killed about half a million people during 1965, and nobody in the western even raises eyebrows. Hell, even until now our government won't apologize for it and proud of what they did (remove Commie from SE Asia as big brother USA told us Laughing ).

Same thing like how we in SE Asia or Asia in general don't care about what happened in German during WW2. We even have Nazi cafe in Indonesia and it's totally legal!
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/nazi-themed-caf-in-indonesia-re-opens-keeping-the-swastikas-and-images-of-hitler-it-pledged-to-9554643.html

Just get over it already!

Tell ya what then, let's make a deal, next Halloween, try visiting Shibuya dressed in a white lab coat lettered Manhattan Project Team on it, and let me know how that fares for ya. Smile

Snomaster1 wrote:
The just immense amount of ignorance about this is just incredible. Whoever said to Keyakizaka46 that they wear costumes that are evocative of the Waffen-SS is a complete idiot. What the Nazis did to people,especially Jews is something that shouldn't be forgotten. If these gals perform here,especially in those outfits,there would be protests and they be justified in that. The ignorance that these girls displayed is amazing. But,these girls aren't the only ignorant ones here.

Maybe Agent355 should bone up on his or her history a little more. The Jews fleeing to America and elsewhere in the 1930's have little similarity to what's happening now. The Jews fleeing Nazi Germany were fleeing an evil regime that wanted to eliminate them. They wanted to continue being Jews,whether it be in Lisbon,Paris,Tel Aviv,New York,or Miami. There was little to fear from them. There is a lot to fear from the current batch of refugees. We don't know where this person is really from or if he's a legitimate refugee or an ISIS terrorist bent on more mayhem.

There's also something to say about Keyakizaka46. It could be that if they do decide to come to America,among those who might protest their visit might be the children and grandchildren of Holocaust survivors who lived through the most horrific things imaginable and also among them might the children and grandchildren of the American soldiers who helped destroy Hitler's mad dream of a thousand year Reich. Maybe these girls and those in places like Thailand should get a better idea of what Hitler and the Nazis were really like. To them,it's just some goofy piece of kitsch. To the overwhelming majority of Americans and others,it represents an evil rarely seen in human history. An evil that shouldn't be forgotten or trivialized.

As an American Jew whose father was killed in Nazi German, (yes, i am THAT old), thank you. There's still a generation or two left alive that is still close to this (including my statement above about the atomic bombing in Japan).
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

You're being pretty ignorant yourself there. Have you looked at what the girls actually wore? The only similarity in the dress is that it is grey. Those cloaks are not a Nazi thing. Lots of different countries had them, and recently you see them in a lot of different anime. I'm not saying that people with personal ties to the Holocaust couldn't find these close enough to cause some trauma or that the group should ignore complaints and keep using the costumes. However, no, they aren't that close that every single person would immediately think Nazi uniform when they saw it. Plenty of people can find the costumes significantly different enough to not be a problem while plenty of people can at the same time find them similar enough to be a problem. That isn't ignorance. That is a difference in perspective.

And what does any of this have to do with forgetting. None of what Germany, the US, or any other country did during the war should be forgotten.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4