• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Super to Simulcast on Crunchyroll, Daisuki, AnimeLab

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Great. Now more people can complain about Goku's voice because they weren't aware of it before.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
But the people complaining about Goku's ORIGINAL voice (which I LOVE), will now have to complain harder because there are now FOUR characters with that voice.
xchampion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Can they get Steve Simmons to subtitle?

Also, now watch a new crop of people bitch about Goku's Japanese voice. I just want to give them a preemptive eff yew. Evil or Very Mad

You eventually got used to his voice and you eventually realize it actually fits his character. I never watched the subbed version of any Dragon Ball show until Super so it took me a while to get used to it myself.
Crystalblade13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Can they get Steve Simmons to subtitle?

Also, now watch a new crop of people bitch about Goku's Japanese voice. I just want to give them a preemptive eff yew. Evil or Very Mad

But his Japanese voice IS bad, and it's the only reason pretty much that I am not gonna be watching the subbed version on CR. A grown man who is ripped as hell should NOT sound like a shriveled up old lady. I know she was the original VA, and she was fine when goku was a child, but not his adult self. It's ridiculous and I have no idea how someone could prefer it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Crystalblade13 wrote:

But his Japanese voice IS bad, and it's the only reason pretty much that I am not gonna be watching the subbed version on CR. A grown man who is ripped as hell should NOT sound like a shriveled up old lady. I know she was the original VA, and she was fine when goku was a child, but not his adult self. It's ridiculous and I have no idea how someone could prefer it.

You don't understand the character. And I don't mean in a "he's so complicated" manner. He's actually a very simple character. But the dub misled people for a long time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I cannot belive that in 2016 some people still don't get why the director decided to keep the same voice for adult Goku. And honestly, at this point, I don't care. Have fun waiting for a dub. I'll be watching the show as it airs, thank you very much.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Crystalblade13 wrote:

If you want to get really technical too, he shouldn't sound like Superman either. I mean no offense when I say that to either Schemmel or fans of the Funi dub. It's just what I hear as someone who was raised in a rural town.

Nozawa's performance is actually closer to what I pictured when I was reading the original manga (well, outside of the Ocean dubs) because she nails the fact that Goku's still a kid at heart and very simple minded, despite essentially having a grown body. She does do a much better performance as the other characters though, spoiler[especially Black in this arc.]
ohstalon06

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
While I am certainly happy to see that the series is FINALLY going to get a legal simulcast, Toei just can't help being Toei and really screw things up on this. There is 0 reason to start at episode 47 with past episodes. WHY oh WHY are they not starting from the beginning? Is it because those first two arcs are more based on the movies? Even so, I find myself extremely upset with Toei for:

A. Not allowing Super to be legally available for over year even after the success of Battle of Gods and Resurrection F here in limited runs in the states.

B. Showing that while they were willing to simulcast Sailor Moon Crystal with little to no issues, they can't be bothered to do the same thing with Super

I'm happy that its finally coming, but DAMNIT TOEI did you have to go and screw it up this badly?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
She does do a much better performance as the other characters though, spoiler[especially Black in this arc.]

I know, right? I didn't think she could make him sound threatening, but she nailed the sadistic voice.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I like both Nozawa and Schemmel (Kai onward) as Goku. Both work in their own ways I feel, so I'll be glad to finally watch Super subbed, and then later in English.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
About damn time!!

Also, I don't have a problem with both the Eng or Japanese dubs.
They are both great in their own ways!
Barbobot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Is episode 47 and the beginning of the Future Trunks arc the start of new material? I know DBS began just retelling the story from the 2 recent movies, Battle of Gods and Resurrection F, but I don't actually know what episode that stuff ended and the new content began.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Crystalblade13 wrote:
I know she was the original VA, and she was fine when goku was a child, but not his adult self. It's ridiculous and I have no idea how someone could prefer it.

The irony of this post is that the reason she's still voicing Goku is because the producers and Toriyama were perfectly fine to have her portray older Goku after she re-auditioned for the role.

Considering that Masako Nozawa is THE voice that Akira Toriyama associates with his protagonist, I say, get used to it.

Last edited by MasterKingJC on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
romanmack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Meh, I don't care what the excuse is. A full-grown adult like Goku should not sound like an old-lady (he doesn't even sound like a child) no matter what his personality is.

I realize it's Dragonball, and it's not exactly realistic... but this notion of keeping the voice actors forever, even when the character grows up (physically, I'm aware Goku hasn't really grown up mentally) is jarring in situations like this.

People always say "The voice works because of Goku's child-like personality blah-blah-blah" but you don't have to literally MAKE the voice sound childish (and again even in that aspect it fails, because he sounds more like an old lady, which is exactly who is voicing him, talented she may be) to accomplish that. What happened to good ol' writing and voice direction? Which brings me to my next point...

I think Sean's CURRENT take of Goku (I'm aware back during the early FUNi days it was terrible) is much better. Keeps him at his age, but sounds childish, aloof and carefree when he's not serious. Annnnd.... he has his own pre-puberty voice that didn't carry over into his adult-self, as it should.

Yeah yeah yeah, Toriyama wanted it this way, doesn't mean I have to agree with it or like it. I accept that it's this way because obviously it won't change but that doesn't mean I won't speak my mind about it. Razz

I feel this way for Adult Naruto keeping his voice, as well.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh my gosh. This is the best. Because I figured if someone ever simulcasted it, it would be FUNimation, and I just can't afford to be subscribed to both CR and FUNimation.

Can anyone tell me (without spoilers, please) what episode the series switches from redoing to the movies and going into new material?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7