• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: your name.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
so when do US persons get to see this movie?!?!?
endallchaos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
FloozyGod wrote:
so when do US persons get to see this movie?!?!?

Funimation has not said anything about the release date in the US, yet.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
People can see it on kissanime which I think is legal.

Why on earth would you think that website was legal? If you Google its name and the word "legal", you get a dozen results telling you it's not. But even before that, what led you to possibly think otherwise?
Barciad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:01 am Reply with quote
I live in the UK and really want to see this film at the cinema. Alas, it is being screened for one day and one day only (except of course the BFI Festival - where you need a mortgage to buy tickets), the 24th November. Or so it seems. Is this true or are there other days when I can watch it?
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I'm not really sure what to think after this review. Based on the massive box-office response it's seeing in Japan, I was hoping that this film represented Shinkai expanding beyond his usual playbook to something broader, but from the sound of things it's more of the same, which makes me wonder why it in particular has resonated much more strongly with audiences than his earlier works.

Advertising. Lots of advertising. Also, many who've seen it (who in some cases weren't huge Shinkai fans beforehand) say that it's probably the first film he's made where the plot is works on pretty much every level and actively does more with its basic concept, rather than simply saying what its point is. So it seems like it IS his usual shtick for the most part, only now it's fine-tuned and perfected far more than previous works. Also, the fantastical elements are more than just a thematic crutch this time around, and the film actually has an interesting (and subversive) exploration of the concept. This is all just stuff I've heard from people who've already seen it.

meiam wrote:
I love his work but I never got the appeal of body swap story so this might be his first movie that I skip on. I always find the character react in unnatural way since they always end up trying to hide the switch for some reason instead of looking for help. The unrealism of there reaction combined with the unrealism of the basic premise makes it really hard to relate to anyone and the emotional aspect just fall flat for me.

I hear that the execution of the trope is very different than your usual body swap story. In that, the characters react in ways that people would likely realistically react to such a situation and the way it pans out is kind of unconventional. If you love his work, I see no purpose in passing on this just because you're adverse to those types of storylines. After all, if you truly respect his work then I'd imagine you'd have at least some confidence that his interpretation would at the very least be worth a shot. Don't knock it till you try it, as I always say. Otherwise you could be missing a great movie for a silly reason.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
People can see it on kissanime which I think is legal.

Why on earth would you think that website was legal? If you Google its name and the word "legal", you get a dozen results telling you it's not. But even before that, what led you to possibly think otherwise?
You'll love this, because I can get it on my smart TV! Also, it has been operating for a while and hasn't gotten taken down (unlike Pirate Bay). My possibly poor understanding is that it falls under the "fair use" rules because they aren't selling or allowing downloads of shows and could probably make the case that it entices people to get DVD's. It seems to me to be like a specific form of YouTube (I could be wrong though Smile )
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:45 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
You'll love this, because I can get it on my smart TV! Also, it has been operating for a while and hasn't gotten taken down (unlike Pirate Bay). My possibly poor understanding is that it falls under the "fair use" rules because they aren't selling or allowing downloads of shows and could probably make the case that it entices people to get DVD's. It seems to me to be like a specific form of YouTube (I could be wrong though Smile )

I can get all sorts of illicit material and applications on my PC, phone, tablet, etc. – it doesn't have a bearing on it being legal. It "hasn't gotten taken down" – lots of illegal sites haven't been taken down. And why would a legal site be taken down? The mere fact that you're discussing the possibility indicates strongly that you know it isn't. "fair use" – I don't know enough about fair use to engage meaningfully on this, but I know you can't just copy something and give it away for free. It "entices people to get DVD's [sic]" – this does not relate to legality at all.

The very simple core fact is that's completely unauthorised and unlicensed, and you can't just distribute whatever you want without permission when that work is protected by copyright. At least not legally. A question about how these bottom-feeding sites survive and proliferate would be an interesting one for an Answerman column, and I suspect the answer would refer to the futility of trying to stamp them out, because more will just pop up in their place.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:07 am Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
I hear that the execution of the trope is very different than your usual body swap story. In that, the characters react in ways that people would likely realistically react to such a situation and the way it pans out is kind of unconventional.

The main interesting thing, without spoiling anything beyond the promo blurb, is that the swapped characters didn't know each other beforehand. I haven't seen every body-swapping story in existence, but it seems to me that's rather unusual (most often it's a "learning to understand the person you hate" sort of gimmick).

As for why it's popular... the story is sufficiently complex and unique to be engaging (without being overly cerebral or confusing to people who aren't sci-fi-fantasy nerds), but still a straightforward "boy meets girl" story at its heart, so it's easy to relate to the themes and character motivations. The characters are more fleshed-out than usual for this director, and aren't hyper-introverted; but his trademark introversion still plays an important role, starting with the "spontaneous body-swapping long-distance relationship" plot device. It also deliberately subverts some of the established "Shinkai-isms." Very pretty, like all his other movies, and so much pop-rock music that the entire movie is practically a music video. It feels somewhat like the full version of 5cm; most of his other movies were like beta-tests that were interesting and worked for some people, but were too melancholy and/or weird for a general audience.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Wherever you are in this world, I will search for you, but sadly I will never be allowed to actually find you.
Fixed. Rolling Eyes
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
You'll love this, because I can get it on my smart TV! ...My possibly poor understanding is that it falls under the "fair use" rules because they aren't selling or allowing downloads of shows and could probably make the case that it entices people to get DVD's. It seems to me to be like a specific form of YouTube (I could be wrong though Smile )

I can get all sorts of illicit material and applications on my PC, phone, tablet, etc. – it doesn't have a bearing on it being legal. ..."fair use" – I don't know enough about fair use to engage meaningfully on this, but I know you can't just copy something and give it away for free. It "entices people to get DVD's [sic]" – this does not relate to legality at all.
This from Harvard's site http://ogc.harvard.edu/pages/copyright-and-fair-use
"You are free to read, watch or listen to any material to which you have authorized access, even if it is copyrighted." So it's not illegal to watch streaming video on my smart TV even if the streamer is doing so without permission (which could be illegal). Also, item #4 of the "Fair Use Test(Considerations)" is "The effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work." which makes legality dependent on the effect the use has on sales derived from the copyright holder's work, if it increases DVD sales it might be allowed. Obviously kissanime is operating in a legal gray-zone which may be circumventing the intent of copyright law, I just wanted to point out that someone wanting to see your name could do so "legally" without waiting for it's US release.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:43 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
"You are free to read, watch or listen to any material to which you have authorized access

But you don't have access authorised by the copyright holder.

your exact source wrote:
Remember that the site owner is not necessarily the copyright holder of the site's content. A site owner may hold the copyright to some materials but not others, or to none of it. Requests for permission should be directed to the copyright holder, not necessarily the website owner.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
"The effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work." which makes legality dependent on the effect the use has on sales derived from the copyright holder's work, if it increases DVD sales it might be allowed

It does not "[make] legality dependent". That's insane. That flimsy reasoning is a consideration of Fair Use along other factors. Everything else about it obviously goes against Fair Use. It's copying an existing creative work in its entirety. It's not transformative. It's not anything other than blatant copyright violation.

The source you linked to says a thousand words clearly explaining why it's wrong, and you've cherry-picked five that kind of, but really don't under any kind of scrutiny, imply the opposite. It's an illegal and unauthorised upload, and you don't have permission from the appropriate party to view it. Thus, you're not legally allowed to view it.
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone please kindly share a video streaming link for this anime movie, please? If possible, in HD quality (1080p or original). Thank you very much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2