• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Reveals U.S. Debut Dates for Kuromukuro, Magi: Adventure of Sinbad Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
(I also hate how they call a cour a season like Funimation does...there's a HUGE difference -_- noobs).

Funny, I find it a sign that someone has been watching anime for much less long than I have and their Japanese language knowledge is pretty limited when they get upset about this. YMMV. I associate it with people who have only recently learned something and want to attempt to show off. I see no reason to use the French loanword in English, especially since understanding what is going on with regards to the production process and how it differs from TV in other countries will require outside knowledge regardless of what word is used.

I am certainly a hypocrite, I suppose, as there are terms that stick in my craw, notably people who use "a shounen" to mean "media whose target audience (or target audience of the original source material) are young boys." It just sounds bizarre, even though I realize that they are using it as a shorthand for "shounen anime," etc.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2