• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ERASED TV Anime to Get English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:12 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:

It has nothing to do with being greedy. Aniplex US takes a diffrent approach on the US anime market. Aniplex US releases on the same way they do in Japan. In Japan the prices are even higher. It's all about "exclusive collector edition" approach

That's still greed. Mixed with appeal to cheap emotions.

Just because the Japanese consumers are so cowed by shiny boxes doesn't mean the rest of us should be. They shouldn't be, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:23 am Reply with quote
LordMoxy421 wrote:
Funimation would have been loads better argh.... oh well Sad
With AOA we get a better dub, so there is an upside.
levonr

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:34 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping ERASED dub will be released on Netflix.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:36 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
US$149.98

I am judging all the people willing to pay this price. You are part of the problem.

Sigh. I really liked this show, too.

Only with AoA do three $40 dollars BD discs "magically" become 30 dollars more once put together under a single cover. Or their thinking is that the super special awesome collection of collector's sets were 75 dollars each so a "limited" version of it is worth throwing one of those in for free.

I was just joking but that's their reasoning, isn't it? These guys...
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:48 am Reply with quote
ERASED was really good, but because of how it plays out I don't think i'll rewatch it for quite some time, if ever, so i'll most likely be skipping that one. But if they do something nice for the release I might bite.

Interested in the Madoka set though Very Happy.

Animegomaniac wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
US$149.98

I am judging all the people willing to pay this price. You are part of the problem.

Sigh. I really liked this show, too.

Only with AoA do three $40 dollars BD discs "magically" become 30 dollars more once put together under a single cover. Or their thinking is that the super special awesome collection of collector's sets were 75 dollars each so a "limited" version of it is worth throwing one of those in for free.

I was just joking but that's their reasoning, isn't it? These guys...

I know reasoning and logic is not at their highest when it comes to discussions regarding AoA on ANN, but c'mon now people, that $149.98 price tag is the SRP, the actual price you'll be paying is $120 which is the same price that the three standard BD releases went for.

http://www.rightstufanime.com/Puella-Magi-Madoka-Magica-TV-Box-Set-Blu-ray

Rolling Eyes
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:56 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
That's still greed. Mixed with appeal to cheap emotions.

Just because the Japanese consumers are so cowed by shiny boxes doesn't mean the rest of us should be. They shouldn't be, either.
Even so, they are buying it, and that's what been keeping the anime industry afloat most if the time, the commitment that the Japanese buyers ready to served up even if it is for these "overpriced" material. If you guys don't want to buy these then don't, nobody is forcing you people to do it. Stating that people shouldn't purchase expensive material is of your own speech, and shouldn't necessarily be followed by others because they had their own right to use their own money according to their wish.
Naniwa

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:19 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:

It has nothing to do with being greedy. Aniplex US takes a diffrent approach on the US anime market. Aniplex US releases on the same way they do in Japan. In Japan the prices are even higher. It's all about "exclusive collector edition" approach.

The problem is not the collector's edition approach. That approach would be completely fine if they actually gave collector's edition contents worth that price. What they do though most of the time is trying to sell a few episodes with a small booklet and 2 post cards for 75$. Look at Aldnoah Zero. 4 volumes, 75$ each. That's a total of 300$ for the show. And what exclusive stuff do you get for that abusive price? 8 postcards and 4 small booklets in total. No matter the amount of discs they use, how is that worth it 300$? Honestly, no show should be sold for that abusive quantity, and if they were going to try and sell it for that price anyways, AT LEAST they should include exclusive items that make people feel their money is worth it.

I love collector's editions, and I always prefer buying a show with lots of additional stuff and a nice box than a simple plain bluray case. I don't mind paying high prices if I consider the extras I'm receiving are worth it. But I'm not stupid, if they don't give me anything worth it I am not paying 300$ for a show.

But they own the licenses of popular shows that people is going to buy anyways, so they can afford asking 300$ for them. You can say to yourself if you want, that you are getting a "exclusive collector's edition", if that makes you feel better, but the truth is you are just paying an extremely overpriced item, and the "exclusive" content is nowhere to be found.
chito895

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:12 am Reply with quote
I was hoping for a USA Madoka complete collection, but at that price, damn. It's awful when you're favorite anime is owned by Aniplex. That's why I'll just buy the Manga Entertainment release, which I think at least comes in a chipboard box. I'd love to buy the special edition with all the goodies, but not at that ridiculous price. Damn you Aniplex.

I also hope Erases gets published on Netflix. I'd love to watch it dubbed and recommend it to someone else. It had very good moments from beginning to end.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:17 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
LordMoxy421 wrote:
Funimation would have been loads better argh.... oh well Sad
With AOA we get a better dub, so there is an upside.

That's debatable.

That being said, if they were to hire Taliesin Jaffe (ADR Director of Hellsing, BECK, and R.O.D the TV) as ADR Director, then the success of this upcoming dub would be secured. Though they're probably going to bring in Alex Von David (who ADR Directed Sword Art Online), which also works.

Last edited by Raebo101 on Sat May 21, 2016 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
omiya

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:33 am Reply with quote
...and like too many titles, the Boku Dake ga Inai Machi OST is only available as part of a set from Japan and not sold separately.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:28 am Reply with quote
I'm ecstatic that Erased will have an English version! Smile I hope the cast will be great.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:35 am Reply with quote
YES FOR ERASED!

Predicted cast:

Johnny Yong Bosch as Satoru - he can play both the young and adult versions of him.

Christine Marie Carbaros as Kano

Erica Mendez as Airi

Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as Sachiko

Liam O'Brien as Yashiro

Max Mittelman as Kenya

Kind of disappointed that Doukyushi doesn't have a dub after being released in theaters and everything.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:55 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Its already listed up at RightStuf. So far its sounding like it may look something close to the Japanese release. Hopefully its a real box and they don't cheat everyone with a paper slipcase.

They stopped using chipboard a long time ago so it most likely will be the same flimsy cardboard they used for their domestic releases of the movies, hardly worth the 4 extra cents. Laughing

I bought the TV BD singles and both the import & domestic releases of the movies as they were coming out and made a few changes to those releases so I have my own complete collection and will be passing on this new set since there's nothing really new included.
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
Any more, I just assume Aniplex just does not want me to own any of their products. So I oblige them.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:15 am Reply with quote
Aniplex is going to be the sole reason I get a region-free player and start importing titles from countries where their insane pricing schemes haven't made any inroads.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5