• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Corpse Party: Tortured Souls Sub.Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Asura was very difficult to watch and made me uncomfortable, no doubt about it. However I could appreciate that 1): it wasn't trying to sensationalise the violence (in fact, quite the opposite), 2): it had a genuine message to tell, and 3): it didn't try and gloss over the suffering that humans inflict on one another.

I never want to see it again but I'm glad I did finish it.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
No English dub? Goddamnit I was really hoping this series would get one because it deserves it. Come on Section23 - tell Sentai to get cracking!
Bloodgod

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Big Corpse Party fan here....

The OVA was certainly weak, and I would love to see this series get a proper adaptation following the whole Heavenly Host story in the future, but I doubt that will happen.

Interestingly, this OVA, despite taking many liberties with the story, could technically be considered canon. It's hinted at in Book of Shadows and then explained in Corpse Party 2U (a weird spin-off game we never got) that along with the multiple dimensions, there are also multiple time lines.

So the events that happen to the characters in any version of the story, any version of the "good" or "bad" endings, etc etc, could have all happened to them in another time line from the main "true" timeline.

So on the surface, especially if one has only seen the OVA, Corpse Party is a simple gore fest about cookie cutter anime tropes getting scared and then killed, but it actually has a complex story and interest lore.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Book of Shadows is horrible, and Blood Drive is to say the least lacking

Book of Shadows is the weakest game in the series, but it's not horrible. Yes, they changed the point of view, and yes you have to make it through the perverted first 30 minutes or so of the first chapter, but it adds some good back story, character development, and introduces alternate timelines.

Plus, BoS was worth it alone for the hidden final chapter, Blood Drive. Which, of course is the lead in to the third game of the same name, as well as the direct sequel to the first game's ending.

Seriously, that chapter was great and had it me on the edge of my seat the whole time. And that cliff hanger ending just made the wait for the Vita game that much harder...

Blood Drive had it's issues, but I really enjoyed it. I don't think any of the sequels were going to live up to how great Blood Covered was though.

Anyway, it's a shame they did not dub this, I'd probably buy it then. I actually liked the original JP voices in the game, but I'm still a dub guy.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I have never played the games. Do they get anywhere near as gruesome as the anime does, or was that jacked up?
You are the one that made me go after the series after hearing you talk about it in that year end review years back.

The original PC98 game and this version are completely different.

This new one they upped the visuals and made up more thing to do than what the original story had.

The gore factor is way up but the visuals are so cartoony it's hard not to laugh.

They turned the red lady into a loli. WTF! That completely kills the fear factor.

They also focus on event's that are supposed to be a short encounter, blowing them completely out of proportion.

The anime
spoiler[I'd say the only thing that stuck out the most is the little sister getting her head smashed into the ground with detail and the craptastic ending.]

Find a way to play the original Key, I'll set it up if you need.
Bloodgod

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
They turned the red lady into a loli. WTF! That completely kills the fear factor.

I'm assuming you are just talking about how the character icons look cutesy in the PC version of Blood Covered? In what version is Sachiko not a young girl??

My first exposure to the series was Blood Covered Repeated Fear on PSP. This OVA, and basically everything else, is based on this version of the game.

I never bothered to go back and play any of the older games, they sounded like very simple stories compared to the modern version, which by all accounts is the definitive edition.
futuresoon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:43 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

Man, if long-haired young girls can't be creepy, the Japanese horror genre is screwed.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Corpse Party was just an excuse to show gore for gore's own sake, and I hate hate hate that. Compare that to titles like Asura, Elfen Lied, Akira and Gungrave, where intense violence and disturbing visuals were purposefully used in service of the themes and plot and characterisation, not in place of them.

I guess I'll watch Corpse Party for the sake of testing my mental endurance alone. What I wish for the most would be my definition of the best horror show: A story with characters that mattered, with reasons, personality, etc. And then these same characters would have to face pure horror of the goriest and most psychologically damaging kind. An ''anyone can die'' aura would also be needed. And most importantly, a good plot to tie it all up, with actual themes and something to say. It woulld be the anime equivalent to listening to Fleshgod Apocalypse: Symphonic, melodic, technical yet brutal death metal.

Has anyone seen an anime like this?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

How ?
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Corpse Party was just an excuse to show gore for gore's own sake, and I hate hate hate that. Compare that to titles like Asura, Elfen Lied, Akira and Gungrave, where intense violence and disturbing visuals were purposefully used in service of the themes and plot and characterisation, not in place of them.

I cannot believe you forgot to mention Berserk. But while I have yet to see this series, I do agree with you on the gore thing.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:34 am Reply with quote
^
Oh, I didn't forget. It's just that when it comes to powerful visuals being used to enhance a story, Berserk goes without saying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2