• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: One-Punch Man

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Personally my biggest problem with the show was the near complete disappearance of comedy after the mid point. Like most comedy show it tried to have a story and it was pretty weak honestly. The whole take on the hero academy was essentially just whining that the world isn't perfect and the only way to enjoy it is if you already agree with the show because it sure didn't try very hard to demonstrate the validity of its opinion (imo it even undercut it once you actually think about the event it depict).

Saying that it only has one joke is semi true, after episode 6 or 7 it's true, but before that it had a lot more, they just all vanish.

Now the animation was amazing, but wouldn't it have been just has amazing in another show? Anyway all things consider it was still one of the best show of last year and very enjoyable.
jroa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
We can take solace that Hope liked this show better than Nick.

I think we would rather take solace in the fact that Nick liked this show less than Hope.

For you see, having a larger diversity of opinions is a great thing and making the ANN reviewers less uniform, rather than more, is ultimately absolutely wonderful as a state of affairs. At the end of the day, not everyone needs to be aboard the same bandwagon.

One Punch Man is a very good show, but there is no real pressing need to consider it perfect. If it doesn't always work for some people, then that is just fine.

Quote:

One of the best things about this show, is that it has an adult cast for the most part. Another good thing, is that there wasn't a school in sight, unless it was part of the rubble.

Neither of these elements are inherently good or bad. It depends on how they are used.

Last edited by jroa on Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:19 pm; edited 6 times in total
za21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Saying that it only has one joke is semi true, after episode 6 or 7 it's true, but before that it had a lot more, they just all vanish.

Um, no. No it isn't. Are you referring to the joke of Saitama one punching his enemies? Because if you are, you would know that's not played as a joke after episode 3. Not even a little. So what you're saying is laughably untrue.

And congratulations for completely missing the point and criticizing the show for something it didn't do. Saying things like "the whole take on the hero academy was essentially just whining that the world isn't perfect" is just pulled out of nowhere. How did you even come up with this?
Cranium

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I lost interest after the first couple of episodes when it was clear the show was going to be a generic shonen show with one funny joke that is going to be repeated forever.
raics

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
What you can gather from the review is that One Punch Man might be just better than the sum of its parts. It's one of those shows you can find all sorts of faults with once you're done watching, but it's damn entertaining along the way despite its shortcomings.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
We can take solace that Hope liked this show better than Nick.

I think we would rather take solace in the fact that Nick liked this show less than Hope.

I wasn't speaking for those that didn't like or weren't impressed by the show.

Quote:

One of the best things about this show, is that it has an adult cast for the most part. Another good thing, is that there wasn't a school in sight, unless it was part of the rubble.

jroa wrote:
Neither of these elements are inherently good or bad. It depends on how they are used.

To some degree you are right, but considering the dearth of adult main characters in anime and that a lot of anime takes place at school or is school related somehow, makes any anime that is reasonably good, something to be supported. Especially when everyone is complaining about the youthfulness of the characters and why is every anime about school or taking place at school.
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's one way to look at OPM, and honestly, it's all valid. Specially story-wise, it's true that the parts adapted so far aren't the most complicated, and the character exploration (not development, to be clear) is reduced to mostly three characters; Saitama, Genos and Mumen Rider, while leaving tips here and there for the rest of the characters.

Comedy-wise, maybe thinking that the one-punch thing is always intended as a joke clouds the vision. I didn't see it as a joke against the Sea King, since the tension created and the whole final message is quite different from, for example, Asura Kabuto, in that one Saitama just remembered the sales day was today and just walked it off. In this case, Saitama saved the day, but not only killing the Sea King, it also lightened up all the heroes' effort. In the case of Boros, it was more a showcase of raw power, but also demonstrated two apparently similar characters but with a very clear different take on their lives, since Boros chose his greed for the greatest fight ever, and what he got? Overwhelmed and completely destroyed, and his opponent bored; if scales were reversed, it would have been the same.

I could also argue that one-punching the meteor, in the end, had a distinct consequence than what happened with the earliest villains.

That's more or less anything I could argue with in this review, since it's how you watch the series, other than that, it's more taste than anything.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
With this show, I was really excited to see a Toriyama-esque, Dragon Ball Z artistic and visual scope: Beefy humans and an erratic assortment of monsters and alien-like creatures appearing one after another to wreak havoc and unrestrained desctruction on a general setting of normal humans. Peppered with a few odd locales of natural, wild terrain and unihabbited regions that exist nowhere in particular but offer opportunity for these massive battles...awesome. But I disagree that each successive one is an increassingly stale experience and premise, because if the show follows the DBZ formula, each villian and antagonist tries to 'up the ante'. As a viewer, we are hooked by the fight choreography of each individual iteration, and reeled in by a slight sense of doubt to Saitama's ability to succeed in this state even in the knowledge of his one-punch power. Genos, so much like Trunks, is the straight man who grounds the ridiculous premise by injecting both reason and a worrisome sense of consequence. Saitama is laid back, but goofy enough to be likable for his underwhelmed attitude towards each successful encounter without pride or smug superiority.

Even if the show doesn't exactly follow this format in every way, it is a streamlined version of an action-pacted powerfest, with excellent animation, catchy music, and potential for both mainstream and niche success in its genre. Merchandising and marketing by the experienced people at VIZ provides the fuel it needs to be an epic spectacle both in episode count and cultural awareness.

I enjoyed it, at least. This is another excellent review, Nick, although I disagreed with some elements. I hope I put into words how much I loved its earnest attempts. How far it carries these elements will depend on the affability of the source manga, what kind of ideas it wants to communicate in the main story, and the personal growth of these characters beyond gimmicks and gags.

Last edited by Usagi-kun on Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
jroa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

I wasn't speaking for those that didn't like or weren't impressed by the show.

My apologies for any inconvenience then, but I wanted to illustrate that your phrasing could come across as slightly passive-aggressive to those who can find more common ground in this particular review than in the more glowing pieces of writing about the show. Honestly, I think both Nick's and Hope's views are informative and valuable.

Quote:
To some degree you are right, but considering the dearth of adult main characters in anime and that a lot of anime takes place at school or is school related somehow, makes any anime that is reasonably good, something to be supported. Especially when everyone is complaining about the youthfulness of the characters and why is every anime about school or taking place at school.

As a fan of variety, I think it's great to see more diverse settings too. I don't watch a lot of primarily school-based anime myself, but at the same time that has allowed me to keep a relatively higher level of tolerance for the appearance of that setting.

By itself, such a thing doesn't make or break a show. It needs to be misused for that to happen.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
While it doesn't really have really complex story, I enjoyed the idea of the rank system with the heroes. I think it proves that you don't need a complex story to have a good show. The characters really carry the show too.
chito895

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
My biggest problem with One Punch Man was obviously the comedy, which started to get stale since episode 3. There may be some nice jokes all along the anime, but damn, apart from the visual spectacle and the very good background music (I loved the guitar solos) the show got pretty boring overall. You can certainly see the direction or the writers of the show doesn't know how to make the same joke feel fresh after 3 or 4 episodes. And that's really bad. In that regard, even shows like Wagnaria or K-ON, which use the same jokes season after season, are better overall than OPM.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Just as an FYI: the Heroes Association is *not* a meritocracy. It's stated pretty clearly that popularity is a significant component in determining rank, not just the ability to kick butt.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
As comedy is so incredibly subjective, and Onepunch Man relies on comedy so much, one's opinion of the show as a whole will vary drastically. I for one thought the show was funny all the way through; I don't think it ever lost steam in that regard. Also, as others have pointed out, the punches started to take on a very different weight and importance as the show went on, tackling various issues and achieving different effects, not just for comedic reasons.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Just as an FYI: the Heroes Association is *not* a meritocracy. It's stated pretty clearly that popularity is a significant component in determining rank, not just the ability to kick butt.

That's right. A large part of Saitama's relationship with the Heroes Association is that, no matter what he tries, he cannot get out of the B-class group whereas Genos is instantly put into the S-class, with al of its perks and benefits, despite Genos being far weaker and far less active in heroics than Saitama.

There's probably a lot of politics involved too about movement in the ranks, considering that, from the Sea King fight and onwards, people are actually seeing Saitama save the day, and he earns the respect of both the bystanders and fellow heroes, but he still can't get promoted.

spoiler[That being said, we should be getting an explanation pretty soon on why Saitama can defeat villains with many people watching and not get credit for it. The next arc will also focus pretty heavily on the Hero Association, how it's run, and the people who run it.]
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
There's probably a lot of politics involved too about movement in the ranks, considering that, from the Sea King fight and onwards, people are actually seeing Saitama save the day, and he earns the respect of both the bystanders and fellow heroes, but he still can't get promoted.

spoiler[That being said, we should be getting an explanation pretty soon on why Saitama can defeat villains with many people watching and not get credit for it. The next arc will also focus pretty heavily on the Hero Association, how it's run, and the people who run it.]
spoiler[He sacrifices his own promotion several times in the series. Right after the Sea King, for example, he starts yelling at the crowd about how the other heroes had weakened it so much and how he intended to take the credit anyway, earning the crowd's enmity to protect the other heroes' reputations. Most people don't believe he's actually that strong; remember Genos scrolling through a website and reading comments about how Saitama is a phony?]

The point is that society's view of heroes (as well as many heroes themselves) is corrupt and self-serving, and Saitama is a genuine hero that will never be recognized as one because he puts others before himself. People always talk about the animation or the comedy, but IMO the point of OPM is its social commentary. The sweet art is a bonus.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6