• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What's The Difference Between BD-Rs And Regular Blu-Rays?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wastrel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
It is very sad that the Hanna Barnera Classic Collection and MLTR to name a few are sold as DVD-R by the publishers, in is beyond cheap and hopefully no anime distributor will copy that business model.

No such luck. Media Blasters put out their release of In Solitude Where We Are Least Alone (Yosuga no Sora) in DVD-R. Which would have been fine, but they did not mark it as such on the packaging nor, apparently, tell their retailers that it was not a normal pressed disc.

Imagine my surprise when I opened my pre-ordered copy. I will skip my usual profanity-laced diatribe, and merely note that I will never again be a customer of Media Blasters.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
wastrel wrote:
No such luck. Media Blasters put out their release of In Solitude Where We Are Least Alone (Yosuga no Sora) in DVD-R. Which would have been fine, but they did not mark it as such on the packaging nor, apparently, tell their retailers that it was not a normal pressed disc.

Imagine my surprise when I opened my pre-ordered copy. I will skip my usual profanity-laced diatribe, and merely note that I will never again be a customer of Media Blasters.

Same thing with Kitty Media (which is owned by Media Blasters).
"Double Duty Nurses" didn't mark on the back of the DVD package that the disc was a DVD-R.
However, "Paid & Laid" does have a label on the back of the package saying that it's a DVD-R.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
[quote="russ869"]
DJStarstryker wrote:

DmonHiro wrote:
This is why I check to see if my backups on DVD-R work once every two years, and replace early what seems to start failing.

When you have thousands and thousands of DVD-Rs and BD-Rs like me, this is absolutely impossible...

If you have that many disks, you really only have two choices. The first is to use professional data archiving systems and practices (practically a full time job). The second is to accept that using amatuer grade systems and practices means that you're going to lose data over time.

It's really that black and white. Home systems and consumer grade equipment aren't designed to faultlessly store that amount of data over extended periods of time.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:36 am Reply with quote
I did not know that but I do now thankfully I never got DVD-Rs or BD-Rs at least I hope not I better check though. Confused
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:58 am Reply with quote
Justin, have you ever done any disc quality error scans with software like OptiDrive Control (licensed by nero as Nero Discspeed) Among consumer drives, only the Lite-On BD drives can read error stats, but they are very useful in assessing the initial physical quality of burns. This article explains all the details: http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=25532
but you only need to know about BIS and LDC. One specifies normal error correction, the other specifies extra correction need and the higher per set of blocks, the worse the quality.

There is a whole forum dedicated to this at myce.com (formerly clubcd I believe): http://club.myce.com/f179/
I do not think all burned discs are unreliable. It depends on media formulation, denoted by the MID (not marketing labels) and the burner's firmware write strategy. Some burners' firmware are straight up buggy or some of the firmware authors just don't care. This has led to some people hacking firmware and providing tools to change the write strategy for specific MIDs.

In any case, with the right combination, the burns can be very good. Ironically, most pressed discs do not have good initial quality. I don't know if it's the QA process letting the calibration of the presses go off charts or what, but the quality scans of random pressed discs show that players require more error correction to read the blocks. The initial quality is about equivalent to mid grade burned BD-Rs. The difference is that they don't degrade as badly.

However, there are some affordable BD-Rs using inorganic substrates which are excellent. M-Disc as mentioned have archival grade media, marketed to last 1000 years, but Panasonic's consumer grade BD-R are marketed to last 50 years and among lower priced options, Verbatim's non-LTH (very important as LTH is crap) media (aka MKM / Mitsubishi Kagaku Media) combined with Pioneer drives and most new drives (LG is hit and miss) consistently produce high quality burns.
See here: http://club.myce.com/f179/mitsubishi-kagaku-media-verbatim-bd-r-sl-272904/
Those disc quality graphs are seriously excellent results and unlike regular Ritek media and most other no-name Chinese MIDs, these hold up over time.

I've also used M-discs and while expensive, they are excellent... with the right burner/firmware. But I've read that some older drives and players can have trouble reading them because of lower reflectivity.

However, for dual layer BD-R (BD50's), most indeed are downright terrible. Fortunately there are a couple good ones: again Panasonics and Verbatim's media.

Regarding AACS, if I recall from reading the licensing terms, only pressed discs are required to apply it. There is a seperate license for the blu-ray logo, but BD-R (without DRM) can still use it. The latter option intended for smaller scale, independent / individual distribution.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:28 am Reply with quote
@mangamuscle: Better for them that or DVD than to not have them on either. Seriously, while I am much more of a streaming person, people should be happy so many obscure shows get official DVD/BD releases at all.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
@mangamuscle: Better for them that or DVD than to not have them on either. Seriously, while I am much more of a streaming person, people should be happy so many obscure shows get official DVD/BD releases at all.

First, you are confusing old (but known to many) with obscure (and known to few, even if the franchise is world famous).

Second, the true reason for doing dvd-r releases is not because they cannot print a few thousands of these and sell them easily, far from it, the real reason is becuase using dvd-r the retail price will never be reduced since there is no way to accumulate unsold left overs in their inventory. Also, if they want to make me happy, release them in bluray with spanish soundtrack :-p
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Huh, didn't know that DVD-Rs and BD-Rs have such a short life span. Would hate to have bought anything that was on those type of disc. Thankfully, I haven't, and in future...I definitely won't buy stuff if it is on those kind of discs.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:16 am Reply with quote
I'm interested in how much of the discs' lasting power falls down to where the discs are stored, the lifestyle of the owner (e.g. Do they move a lot?), and the plain old care of the discs.

I have taped-off-of-TV VHS tapes (LP) that are 30, or nearly 30, years old and still work; I have CD-Rs which are 10 years old and still fine.

My knowledge of home media extends to basic care and how to put it in the machine. Nothing fancy was done; The CDs are kept on the top floor, on the bottom level of a stereo stand, and the videotapes are down in the basement, on bookshelves.

I have DVD-Rs, all of them from Warner Brothers, but the oldest ones are only a few years old so no way to judge, yet.

I am genuinely curious. Have my CDs really reached their halfway point? Is there a difference of durability between home recorded tapes and discs?
ajr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:14 am Reply with quote
DJStarstryker wrote:
Hard drives will fail over time. It's inevitable. If you want to not lose data, the best thing to do is back it up in 2 different places. By which I don't mean 2 different places on the same hard drive. Back it up on 2 different hard drives or a hard drive and a thumb drive or something like that. It's not a guarantee that you won't lose data still, but the chances of both devices failing simultaneously is slim.

The rule-of-thumb I've heard is 3-2-1: 3 backups in at least 2 formats/forms of media, 1 of which is offsite.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
Need Archival long lasting reliable backup for important data?

Magnetic Tape like LTO is the way to go.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Tape-Open
Or RDX
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RDX_Technology
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:
I'm interested in how much of the discs' lasting power falls down to where the discs are stored, the lifestyle of the owner (e.g. Do they move a lot?), and the plain old care of the discs.

I have taped-off-of-TV VHS tapes (LP) that are 30, or nearly 30, years old and still work; I have CD-Rs which are 10 years old and still fine.

My knowledge of home media extends to basic care and how to put it in the machine. Nothing fancy was done; The CDs are kept on the top floor, on the bottom level of a stereo stand, and the videotapes are down in the basement, on bookshelves.

I have DVD-Rs, all of them from Warner Brothers, but the oldest ones are only a few years old so no way to judge, yet.

I am genuinely curious. Have my CDs really reached their halfway point? Is there a difference of durability between home recorded tapes and discs?
Magnetic tapes are still the backup method of choice for long term storage, so it's not terribly surprising that the tape's lasted so long if you haven't been playing it to death. Outside of direct handling of the medium, I'm pretty sure heat and humidity are the real killers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2