• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ponycan USA Comments on Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers' Standard Blu-ray/DVD Cancellation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Nyron wrote:
What kind of person would spend money on such a profoundly mediocre, unfinished series anyway?

There are plenty of people who wanted to own this, judging from all the dissatisfaction, myself included.

Quote:
No one except for otaku diehards who'll buy anything, so why even bother with a standard edition?

I own less than 15 anime, so you're wrong on that account too.
Nyron

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
The problem is that they're licensing shows with no hope of sales to begin with.

Which is a side-effect of being a small company: They're only going to get shows with low licensing costs and small audiences because any show that's worth anything goes to Funi or gets shipped through AoA.

You can ship something for $20 and have to sell 20,000 to break even, or ship something for $100 and have to sell 4,000 copies instead. There are not enough people who want to buy forgettable, C-list trash shows in the US like Rokka so they target a smaller, narrower audience.

Also, producing an entire print run of standard editions also costs a lot of money. Reducing something down to one product rather than standard + deluxe probably saves them a ton and lets them continue operating. This company is probably like 5 people big and get paid pennies, they're not rolling in cash.

Aniplex has no excuse though, they're just gouging people. Shows like KLK and Durarara could easily be sold affordably, but they're not because of "lol reverse importing"

Last edited by Nyron on Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Razzuel wrote:
Can we stop turning every god damn PonyCan USA and Aniplex USA thread into "They're just greedy money grubbing jerks!"

That is a more fitting description for Aniplex USA. For PONYCAN USA you need to say: "They're just greedy money grubbing jerks, who don't know what the hell they are doing!"
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't really view PonyCan as "evil", per se, but rather as incompetent and completely out of touch with the North American anime industry.

That having been said, however, luring potential buyers into a false hope with a bait-and-switch scheme by promising standard edition releases just to pull them away at the last minute is most definitely a-holish on their part. Even if they were planning on using this show as an experiment to help decide if there was a place for them in the casual market, they forgot that in order for experiments to work, you have to *actually go through with them in the first place*.
chito895

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Nyron wrote:
What kind of person would spend money on such a profoundly mediocre, unfinished series anyway? No one except for otaku diehards who'll buy anything, so why even bother with a standard edition?.

Just because you didn't like the show, it doesn't mean that everyone hated it and don't want to spend money on it. Just don't go saying ridiculous statements, please. Rolling Eyes

Oh PonyCan, you deserve another eyeroll emoji. It would've been better if they hadn't said anything. I'm 90% sure that the standard editions would've given them more revenue than just the collectors edition. I'd like to know how many of those standards DVD/BD had been preordered before they cancelled them, so that it would give an idea if those were expected to sell better than the Special editions or not.

And what exactly are they going to include apart from the key frames? I think it was a OST cd, right? Anything else?
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I found it surprising that they wanted to put out the SE's at the same time as the CE's. That was truly tempting the "God of Reverse Importation" and he is a real stinker.

Mark Gosdin
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
And what exactly are they going to include apart from the key frames? I think it was a OST cd, right? Anything else?

A figure of Flamey? That would be a sweet deal for $72.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
In other words...

We don't give a fudge for the people.....we just want your money..

Money ,,,Money ,,,Money ,,,Money ,,,Money ,,,Money ,,,Money ,,,Money ,,, Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
That was truly tempting the "God of Reverse Importation" and he is a real stinker.

What reverse importation? This show bombed in Japan.

In fact, they'd probably make *more* money if the Japanese reverse imported the standard releases, seeing as how PCUSA is actually owned by Pony Canyon Japan and the funds would go more-or-less directly to them regardless.
Bastille

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, PonyCan USA is basically at the mercy of its parent company back in Japan. Nothing they say will result in any meaningful changes because the all mighty and knowing Japanese management make the decision in the end. What works in Japan is what will be done over here.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Razzuel wrote:
Also, Rokka has sold like garbage in Japan, so don't raise the "reverse importation" flag either.
And if Rokka was selling like hotcakes (i.e. 10K+), it still would make sense not to release RE's so soon. Despite the weak yen, for the price of one of the JP singles on Amazon Japan, a JP fan could reverse-import Ponycan USA's release and get double the episodes for the same price.

It's about stopping any sort of mindset of any JP fans waiting for a US release in the future. The Japanese release of Rokka doesn't finish until February. I'm still scratching my head at the decision to try releasing cheap RE's so soon. Reverse-importation while not THAT common is still an issue, even back in the day when it took 2 years for shows to start to come over here. I can find ADV singles on Yahoo! Auctions Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Money ,,,Money ,,,Money ,,,Money ,,,Money ,,,Money ,,,Money ,,,Money ,,, Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Here is the song for those lyrics Very Happy

I will give a sigh of relief the day PCUSA goes under and allows other people to make a nice buck out of the catalog they would have otherwise released at prices from another era; if there was a nugget of knowledge from the anime crash is that such high priced anime discs can bring the whole market down if there is a bump down the road, lets not repeat that mistake.
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
In other words,

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Thats what I thought. Collectors edition is more expencive that standard.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
If they expect to dump the surplus of the non-existent Japan sales of the discs on the North American market, I have some serious doubts how that will pan out for them...

Are we seeing PonyCan US's swansong?...

Since they basically exclusively use RightStuf, who won't return PonyCan's stocks, their death would be a very slow one. As long as their revenue exceeds expenses, they can stay open indefinately if their Japanese parent company doesn't have a quota on how much profit they have to make.

Licensing Rokka from their parent company is probably their biggest expense and they have a very small staff so they don't have to sell much to keep the lights on.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm someone who when given the chance as a huge collector usually opts for the most premium edition of an anime when given the option but even though if I were to buy this series I wouldn't get the standard sets I still am sicked with how Ponycan has treated this release as I feel for fans who cant or dont want to spend that much on a single series.

They started with saying they listened to fans and will look into standard sets. Then announce they listened to fans and announced 2 different standard sets. Fans are happy and rightsuf opens pre-orders then the other day the CE of rightstuf says that they were cancelled and I'm sure rightstuf isn't happy with having to telul fans and cancelling all of their orders.

I was holding out slight hope that there would be a good reason Ponycan would cancel the standard release but this response by them is so half-assed and essentially nothing but "We want to sell expensive releases and no cheaper option" which begs the question why ever announce a standard release and wave the carrot on a stick in front fans? Ponycan continues to make many questionable decisions.

Even Aniplex offers different buying options for many of their titles and unlike Ponycan they actually have series that aren't nicher then niche. Hopefully for Euphonium they make a release with options for all fans because I don't see a single title they own other then that that has a chance to even be a good seller.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7