• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation's Evangelion: 3.33 Blu-ray/DVD Slated for February 2, 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
"We've done some market research, and it turns out you don't need box art. Just put the word 'Evangelion' somewhere on the package and people will buy it... what, the color? Blue, I guess."

I kinda like it. All of the movies, both recent TV series releases. Just the name on a solid color package lol.

I wonder how long it's been since I gave up and bought the Japanese 3.33. At least a year now...maybe one and a half?? I'll definitely get the domestic release so I can show my buddies. Wish they could include the soundtrack.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
With this, they call it this: I (Will) Believe It When I See It..
lem

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
"We've done some market research, and it turns out you don't need box art. Just put the word 'Evangelion' somewhere on the package and people will buy it... what, the color? Blue, I guess."

I think that color is representative of the character Rei. A quick image search can provide plenty of examples. Of course the hardest of the hardcore Eva fans could tell you more, but that'd be my guess.

Besides having that shade of blue on the Japanese blu package, they've also used red (for Asuka) and white (Shinji) on the other releases. But of course, as North American fans we didn't see those available here.

luffypirate85 wrote:
...Wish they could include the soundtrack.

they did for the raw. But yeah it'd be nice if Funi could do the same for R1 fans.
oh well. that's how it goes.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I won't believe it until I have it in my hands!
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Finally! I was wondering when it would happen.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
I haven't seen this series at all yet (Feel free to Gasp, shame me or something lol) but good for those who have been waiting for this release for so long.

If it helps... I have yet to see Evangelion either. Razz It's just not something I would usually watch so I haven't bothered placing it on my watch list.

I do know a lot of people were/are waiting for this release so hopefully it finally will get its release at last.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
So almost 23 months or just shy of 2 years from original release date. They better make it worth the wait. Not that I think the movie will considering the mess I hear they make out of it. UGH
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Supermutant wrote:
So almost 23 months or just shy of 2 years from original release date. They better make it worth the wait. Not that I think the movie will considering the mess I hear they make out of it. UGH

Now factor in that the Japanese home release was Spring 2013.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:05 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Supermutant wrote:

Now factor in that the Japanese home release was Spring 2013.

I imported the Japanese release back then in late April 2013, and I was questioning whether the $70 I spent was worth it. Now, almost 3 years later, I conclude that it was worth it lol
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:11 am Reply with quote
I was in Japan in May of 2013, and it was still the talk of the town, relatively speaking. If the one TV ad for a WiiU karaoke game wasn't the reason "Cruel Angel's Thesis" is overplayed, it was probably the apex of the craze.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
Well, I for one can't wait to read these Khara subtitles. After hearing the Engrish in the first two films, I think Khara mandating that they handle the English is a godsend. They've clearly shown a mastery of the language. Certainly moreso than Funi. It's not like they're a major player in the English anime market and are native English speakers.

Anyways, seen the fansubs and saw the original Funisubs at a convention 2 years back. These should be two years of honing and perfecting. I'm dying to see the result.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:07 am Reply with quote
It's about damn time. Hopefully this actually stays on schedule this time. The movie is almost three years old, and by time we get the home video release from Funimation it'll have been roughly two years since we were initially supposed to get it. The last time I remember something being delayed this long was when it took ADV nearly three years to release Kurau Phantom Memory; they announced they licensed it in July 2004 but didn't release the first DVD until April 2007.
Isinfier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:20 am Reply with quote
I'll be surprised if this actually releases on schedule. I'm pretty sure most people gave up long ago and either imported or torrented.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:50 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It's only three and a quarter years since the movie premiered...no biggie.

In their defense, at least they're still managing to get it out before 4.0...Assuming it's not pushed back yet again.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:57 am Reply with quote
Evangelion is pretty "deep" and "complex", so the minimalist look works I guess. The second movie also had just a plain orange slipcover, though the actual case had a Mari picture. Maybe this one has that Shinji and Kaworu pic I saw in the US packaging teaser almost 2 years ago (damn, its really been that long?). I liked the covers for the first movie though, the cgi/almost live action looking Evas. 2.0 and 3.0 could have had sick looking Unit 02 or spoiler[awakened Unit 13] art.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4