• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Noir Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
For me, this is the best of the three. Like a fat espionage/spy novel adapted to the screen: Le Carre, Silva, Ludlum, Forsyth.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Isn't the first one Ali Project?

The opening is composed by Yuki Kajiura, but performed by ALI Project. This song along with the openings of Rozen Maiden made me ALI Project fan.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
giving an old series an HD make over is a good way to introduce new viewers to the series

i heard of Noir but didn't really bother with it since there's no HD..

i guess it's one of the "girls with guns" series..

heard of Madlax.. is it also getting an HD make over as well?

El Cazador was alright.. they toned it down too much for the anime comparing to the manga :/

i guess for girls with guns series.. it's hard to beat Black Lagoon..
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Madlax and El Cazador were just Noir wannabe's that Beetrain concocted to cash in on Noir's success since they killed off any chance of a sequelspoiler[ with those two final gunshots at the end of credits.] Rolling Eyes

Kajiura-san also did the sound track for La Portrait De Petit Cossette. That too I also have.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Kajiura-san also did the sound track for La Portrait De Petit Cossette. That too I also have.

Thank you

I didn't know this series.. i looked it up.. the cover reminds me of Gosick anime#11759

I'll give it a watch. I like psychological series.
Dfens

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Actually Mohawk52 I think they wouldn't end the series the way you interpreted. If would been for not if they went through all the trouble to save each other and then have it end it that way.

I took the 2 sound of affects as just one last time before they hung them up for good, and not in a tragic way.

From this felt that their story was told and what was left untouched to make a second season?

As for the Blu-Rays they look great, not that the old DVD version looked that bad, but the new transfer does look a tad better, well worth the price of upgrading.

In it's time it was a pretty well done series production wise, not the cream of the crop with the biggest budget but more than good for what they accomplished. It was one of the last Cel drawn shows before they went digital.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I actually agree with most of the main points already made.. the soundtrack was very good.. The dub.. meh but like every other ADV title they used the same VAs in everything. Nene! (see my BGC 2040 post) People get Whacked everywhere its almost funny to count it up as the series progresses.. Lots of suits bite the dust..
The animation was typical for this time period... not bad but does show its age.

This is definitely the best of the other titles released by this studio.. Madlax... was horrible... it was soo trying to be cool like Noir and failed miserably... El Cazador was OK... not good and not bad.

I think I still have a Noir Lunchbox hiding somewhere... lol
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Madlax and El Cazador were just Noir wannabe's that Beetrain concocted to cash in on Noir's success since they killed off any chance of a sequelspoiler[ with those two final gunshots at the end of credits.] Rolling Eyes

That reminds me of Houseki, the ED song for Petit Cossette.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Thank you

I didn't know this series.. i looked it up.. the cover reminds me of Gosick anime#11759

I'll give it a watch. I like psychological series.

It's tense. a slow burner... but one absolutely worth you time. The ED, Houseki (Marina Inoue on vocals, Yuki Kajiura in composition) is hauntingly beautiful.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I've been thinking about which of the Girls with Guns anime I hould start with. Maybe this or Madlax... I'm undecided.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
.. the cover reminds me of Gosick

....and you reminded me of Gosick. Some day...........
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
LOL. Yeah, the pronunciation of Mireille's name has always bugged me, but it doesn't really surprise me that they pronounced it incorrectly. The pronunciation of the Japanese names already changes enough when they have the Japanese to listen to that it's hard to have high hopes of them pronouncing a non-English, European name correctly. Though sometimes with European names, the English dubs do to better than the original Japanese did, if nothing else, because Japanese is so different from European languages that the Japanese typically have more problems pronouncing European words than Americans do, even if the Americans don't necessarily get it right either.

In any case, Noir is definitely a classic, and I'm glad to get it on Blu-ray (I wish that I could get everything on Blu-ray and just ditch DVD completely...). I think that the story holds up reasonably well, though at this point, I think that I see a lot more of the flaws in it than I did originally, which makes it lose some of its luster. It is still a great series though, and I'm glad to see it get released again. It is kind of scary to think of how old it is now though. How time flies...

I should go watch Madlax and El Cazador again. It's been a while. I wonder if they stand much of a chance of getting released on Blu-ray (at least in Japan). I never got the impression that they were as big or successful as Noir, but I don't know how true that is. Maybe we'll get lucky though.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:09 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
.. the cover reminds me of Gosick

....and you reminded me of Gosick. Some day...........

I have been meaning to get Gosick also, having heard live Lisa Komine (who sang the two ending songs "Resurrected Hope" and "Unity").

MajinAkuma wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

Isn't the first one Ali Project?

The opening is composed by Yuki Kajiura, but performed by ALI Project. This song along with the openings of Rozen Maiden made me ALI Project fan.

For the Noir OP "Coppelia no Hitsugi" 「コッペリアの柩」 Music: Mikiya Katakura 「片倉三起也」, Lyrics: Arika Takarano 「宝野アリカ」 (the vocalist of ALI Project).

The Noir ED "Kirei na Kanjo"「きれいな感情」was written by Arika Takarano and arranged by Akino Arai 「新居 昭乃」.

I've only seen ALI Project live at Animelo Summer Live 2012 and 2013, I wasn't brave enough in 2012 to attend a full concert of theirs Confused

The Noir insert song "Indio" was written by Yuki Kajiura 「梶浦由記」and sung by Chiaki Ishikawa 「石川智晶」and the insert song "A Farewell Song" was written by Yuki Kajiura and sung by Yuri Kasahara 「笠原由里」.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:40 am Reply with quote
I was hooked on this series from the moment Kirika hung the guy by his necktie in the first episode. Smile After that I just enjoyed how she MacGyvered most of her weapons. And the soundtrack certainly didn't hurt.

Btw, ADV had two complete releases, the singles (2003), and the Thinpak box set in 2005, which is the edition I have.
unready

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:38 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Btw, ADV had two complete releases, the singles (2003), and the Thinpak box set in 2005, which is the edition I have.

I also have the thinpak and was delighted that it was just a straight repackaging of the singles. Usually when something gets repackaged it also gets remastered to fit on fewer discs, which means the extras go away. For the Noir thinpak, they didn't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3