• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Knights of Sidonia: Battle for Planet Nine

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gedata

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Haven't seen the show yet, but I intend to. Sounds like season one is a serious sci-fi space opera, while season two gets infected with harem'itis.

Kinds sad. I like fan service and comedy. But they shouldn't be added to change the tone of a show, when it didn't have it to the same degree as the first season.

Sort of like being teased. Here have a serious space opera, and then in the second season they give you Love Hina in Space.

Knights of Sidonia is a mix of space opera and harem comedy. And this is so from the very first volumes of the manga. The anime adaptation for whatever reason in the first season just decided to drop most/all of the harem bits present in the manga. So you got a very distorted view of what KoS was like. In the second season the animators went the other way and so a lot a people started complaining as if Polygon Pictures had actually desacrated the manga when it's the opposite in fact. The balance between seriousness and harem bits is very hard to achieve with a 12 episode per season format. The manga doesn't have this constraint so to a certain extent it is much more enjoyable.

The harem comedy nonsense was still in the 1st season, but it wasn't quite as pronounced as compared to 2nd season which had Tsumugi join the fray and spoiler[Izana inadvertent sex-change.] Personally I'm not a fan of the whole "clueless protagonist and his bevy of female admirers" schtick and I fail to see what Sidonia did to make itself stand out in this regard other than involving a chimera and robotic CGI models.

That and the fact that there was very little advancement in the main plot made me dislike this season quite a bit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2