• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Prison School

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pandoraking

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:58 am Reply with quote
amazing anime so far. so funny ahhahah
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote
This show knows perverse humor, and how to use it.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
^ Agreed, although I think the physical comedy is starting to wear a bit then. We get it - no matter what the boys do, they're sure to end up brutally beaten. Hopefully, they'll start changing this formula up a bit.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
i swear from these 3 episodes alone gakuto has probably lost his entire body weight in blood alone, and joe as well.

I loved how they managed to preserve the seriousness with outlandish comedy the next second like the way the headmaster speaks(that moment when he dropped the pictures i actually choked, note to self dont eat or drink during this show) and gakuto's face when he showed kyoshi the paper he found was like something out of a horror series, it really portrayed a sense of grim, seriousness, horror and despair simultaneously.
Cielito_Lindo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I've always had trouble with ecchi - halfnaked girls aren't my thing and everyone is always so stupid! The only one I managed to stomach long enough to finish the series was Highschool of the Dead, because the plot and the animation made it easier to ignore the boobs and pantyshots and the airheaded females; I started Monster Musume and endured only 6 minutes of it before turning away in disgust - but Prison School is something else.

It was so hyped I gave it a chance and I was pleasantly surprised: not only the premise is so absurd I can't predict anything, none of the girls is the kind of brainless doll I've come to associate to this subgenre. I'm also enjoying the seiyuu work, some of my favourites are there. Crass humour, blood, and dark undertones are a very curious mix, and I'm completely hooked.
Estarossa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Anddo wrote:
Do yourself a favor and read the manga. It's not "so bad it's good". It's simply good. The author takes every measure to construct a perfectly elaborate plot that always leads in the deadliest humor you could stomach. Every character is hilarious and you'll find yourself falling in love with all of them.

Kangoku Gakuen is the best manga I've read in my life.

Pure facts.
Jboogie86

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:03 am Reply with quote
The manga is absolutely amazing, but the first episode is paced waay too quickly.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:52 am Reply with quote
As fast-paced as this is, it amazed me that J.C. Staff squeezed the 6 first chapters in one episode without missing a single thing (except the line where Chiyo says she's got bad eyesight, thus why she confused Kiyoshi with her friend), in fact, the animation of Hana kicking everybody's ass is original, in the manga the panels are just blood splattering with the boys dialogue.

So far, so good, I like the artstyle a lot, and the voices are great, although the Golden Scene didn't impress me as much since I've already read it. I don't know if we'll get to it, considering it's one cour, but I really do want to see when spoiler[Hana and Kiyoshi kiss in middle of the breakout plan.]
KingKhai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Anddo wrote:
Do yourself a favor and read the manga. It's not "so bad it's good". It's simply good. The author takes every measure to construct a perfectly elaborate plot that always leads in the deadliest humor you could stomach. Every character is hilarious and you'll find yourself falling in love with all of them.

Kangoku Gakuen is the best manga I've read in my life.

^This.
What he said.
SO TRUE.
Best manga I've read in my life too! Anime hyper

btw I don't think "Prison School demands its viewers take it seriously" though - the way I see it, we're NOT supposed to take it too seriously and just kick back and enjoy, have a laugh at the ridiculousness of their situation and logic Laughing

Valhern wrote:
As fast-paced as this is, it amazed me that J.C. Staff squeezed the 6 first chapters in one episode without missing a single thing (except the line where Chiyo says she's got bad eyesight, thus why she confused Kiyoshi with her friend), in fact, the animation of Hana kicking everybody's ass is original, in the manga the panels are just blood splattering with the boys dialogue.

I'm surprised how fast the anime version churns through the manga too! Excellently done at that! Almost no missing scenes and almost nothing's been altered! I wonder how far in the manga the anime will catch up to! Anime hyper

Valhern wrote:
I don't know if we'll get to it, considering it's one cour, but I really do want to see when spoiler[Hana and Kiyoshi kiss in middle of the breakout plan.]

OH YES I LOVE THAT SCENE.
Considering how fast the anime is covering the manga (brilliantly, I may add) I believe we will get that scene Wink
But I do hope it'll go even further! So many memorable scenes further on! Anime hyper
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode three featured the most cringe-worthy poop joke outside of Gintama.
Hyro_10

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:15 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:

I didn't like the first two episodes but I was pleasantly surprised to be enjoying this episode, Until that scene. That segment was terrible, it made the rest of the episode less enjoyable.

This show and God Eater are just a treat to look at. I love how detailed the expressions are.
anddo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Read the manga.
navycherub

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:

Man, I loved that scene. "High school is three years, these figures come out every four years! Do the math!"
Goober2049

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how Gakuto can walk with those massive balls of steel he has.

The end of Episode 3 was priceless. Watching the prison escape fail in the most spectacular fashion possible in Episode 4 was the highlight to an otherwise crap-tastic day. This show consistently keeps me laughing so hard I have to stifle myself to avoid waking other people in the house.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying each episode of this series more than the last. Definitely a good sign.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6