• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nickelodeon to Run Zag, Toei's Miraculous Ladybug in U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
I think the first PV was way better.

They decided to go with full CGi after showing this, from what I heard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlwV3scCgAM

I guess it's to make it more international?
I was under the impression based on some articles I read on it a while back that the 2D animation PV was pretty much Toei trying to convince the other studios to go 2D, but even after that the other studios were still leaning more towards CGI, then decided on a CGI TV series and 2D animation online eps.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Wait, Ladybug was created by Toei? Are you serious??? Shocked Shocked Shocked

It will be the Kamen Rider Tackle series we deserve
Shinraisei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I'd been hearing about this show from clips featured in last years Animation Magazine. I never followed up on it because I wanted to see if this would be a show to keep an eye on for possible acquisition. Glad to see it's coming to the states. I'll give it a look once I get a schedule.

Nope, they're handling the animation and production I think. The story/concept is French. This has usually been the case with most Franco-Japanese co-productions since the 80s (Mysterious Cities of Gold and Ulysses 31, etc.) Smile

Glad that this series has been greenlit! I wonder if the French version will air or if this is going out as an English dub version first?
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear this is finally coming out! I did really like the 2D trailer and somehow Ladybug's outfit just doesn't work as well in 3D for me, but that's some real slick animation in those action sequences so it's hard to complain. I can see Nick treating this way better than Digimon Fusion and Yugioh Zexal [Though this could easily be a better show in the first place, to be honest].

Will be interesting to see how this is dubbed, if the english version does a new soundtrack and plays it loose like with dubs for children's anime or plays things straight.

And I dunno, the theme was definitely a kid's TV show theme but it's pretty fun! I'm optimistic overall.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
The people saying the CG doesn't look good or is just fine probably don't like CG to begin with. That's better CG than we're used to seeing on TV, almost film quality. I imagine they'll be running this next to TMNT.

As for the show itself... not really sold on it. The preview started off fine, but then the song started and I quickly lost interest. Then the Catwoman crossplayer showed up and I knew this wasn't for me.

Maybe I'll watch an episode on Hulu and decide.

Hagaren Viper wrote:
Will be interesting to see how this is dubbed, if the english version does a new soundtrack and plays it loose like with dubs for children's anime or plays things straight.

Well, her name is still French (or Franco-Chinese?) and I guess it still takes place in France so that's a good sign.

Emerje

Last edited by Emerje on Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
machetecat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Actually, no. Toei is a collaborator and did the animation for the original promo, but the creator is Zagtoonz.

I'm still confused on how Nickeloedeon got the rights for this show, however. Disney's been listed as a collaborator (maybe even producer?) since around the time they first announced they were switching to the CG style. Hell, it's even going to air on Disney-owned channels in many other countries when it premiers. How did VIACOM get distribution rights, of all things? After the way Nickelodeon treated Korra, and the fact that Disney's gaining success with Star vs the Forces of Evil, I'm confused on why Disney's letting someone else air it???
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me of that Sabrina the Teenage Witch show that's currently on Discovery Family. I haven't seen any of that though.

This is the first I've heard of this show, so I didn't know there was a 2-D version. I can see why they switched to 3-D CGI though: It's way more attractive to kids, which is their target audience. (I'd guess that 3-D CGI is also cheaper. I mean, I remember seeing commercials for Lexus and UPS with cel-shaded 3-D CGI imitating 2-D animation. If it weren't cheaper, it'd be an unnecessarily roundabout way of doing things.)
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I remember seeing the earlier 2D promo Toei made, and I have to say I still prefer that style over the new 3D. But at least we finally hear some news about this show; it's been on my radar for at least two years and for a good while I thought it had been axed all together. I wanna wait and see how the story plays out before I watch it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Would have cared more if they kept it 2D because then it would have meant something for Western animation. 3D animation, even immaculate 3D like what Pixar and now WDAS produce, is not special to me at all. I might actually be more forgiving with 2D if the writing isn't all there, because they dared to try something that much different. That's why I'll praise the shit out of the new Spongebob movie, because wow, it's mostly 2D, what a novel concept. Also helps it was pretty funny.

I'm probably biased in my disliking of the overuse of CG in live action, where I sort of equate 2D to practical even though that line of comparison isn't 1:1.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Would have cared more if they kept it 2D because then it would have meant something for Western animation. 3D animation, even immaculate 3D like what Pixar and now WDAS produce, is not special to me at all. I might actually be more forgiving with 2D if the writing isn't all there, because they dared to try something that much different. That's why I'll praise the shit out of the new Spongebob movie, because wow, it's mostly 2D, what a novel concept. Also helps it was pretty funny.

I'm probably biased in my disliking of the overuse of CG in live action, where I sort of equate 2D to practical even though that line of comparison isn't 1:1.

Well, have I got news for you: http://loliwinx.tumblr.com/post/122449081462/please-dont-scroll-past-this-you-could-change-a

Long story short, the creator of this series says that if the 3D version is successful, it's incredibly likely a 2D version will be produced. So if you cherish hand-drawn animation and ever want to see the original vision see the light of day, WE NEED TO WATCH THE EVER LOVING CRAP OUT OF THIS.
Sunset In the Hood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
For everyone saying CG is more attractive to kids, most famous and popular cartoons are mostly targeted at both adults and kids.

Gravity Falls
Steven Universe
My Little Pony:FiM (despite what a million others might say about it)
Regular Show
Adventure Time

See the trend? NONE of them are CG because people can only tolerate CG for 2 hours at most. It was a horrible decision to make a TV series in CG especially when the original 2D animation was more energetic and fun. Japan is making another stupid mistake like the one they did for PPGZ by thinking that cartoons = watered down random humor with zero serious moments. Can't make Mojojojo the villain without making him randomly eat cake with the main heroes.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Not a fan of the song, but the show itself looks alright. Something about the animation reminds me of the Barbie Life in the Dreamhouse shorts; they have that same kind of manic action to them.

I'm up for checking it out. Last I'd heard, it was going to be a 2D-3D hybrid, and I was really not a fan of the 2D art style, so I'm okay with full 3D.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:
Long story short, the creator of this series says that if the 3D version is successful, it's incredibly likely a 2D version will be produced. So if you cherish hand-drawn animation and ever want to see the original vision see the light of day, WE NEED TO WATCH THE EVER LOVING CRAP OUT OF THIS.

Well then, in that case, it seems that I'm going to have to live with the GCI version of Ladybug. All I need is when the show will air and I'll tune in to watch.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see that this project made it through! I was so excited for it since it was announced all the way back in like 2012. Though got to say that it going from the first PV to this was...Unexpected.

The CGI looks great, very fluid and not very scary looking. With that said, I would have really preferred if it was in the animation used in the fist PV. It's just a matter of preference really. Though seeing as we're getting 2D webisodes, that means we'll be getting the best of both worlds.

Also, is Ladybug voiced by Christina Vee or am I just hearing things?

Edit: K, it is her. And Bryce Papenbrook will be voicing Chat Noir. Interesting.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
I think the first PV was way better.

They decided to go with full CGi after showing this, from what I heard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlwV3scCgAM

I guess it's to make it more international?

It's a bit of a bummer, but at least this project is actually going somewhere.

On another note, is it true that Rie Matsumoto did the animated PV?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3