• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hear Death Note The Musical Song Sung in English by Tony Nominees

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eternalblue81

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the transcription, Hidders! I've been pretty obsessively listening to this song since yesterday and thought I'd search out if anyone else had transcribed the lyrics yet, and if not, do it myself.

Glad I wasn't the only one who was hearing cinnamon at first, lol.

whenever my end survives his means

It looks like I was beaten by not refreshing comments, but I agree with beverhousen and hear "whenever my end is served by his means".

the food he likes, the places he's been

"the food that he likes"

Other than that, there's some parts where I can't quite tell if they're singing "I" or "I'll". Kind of unsure if the "a" I hear before "margin of error" needs to be there. I hear it, but I wonder if it's just part of the breathy sound of it.
Hidders

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote
beverhousen wrote:
Ah I think it may be, ''Whenever my end is served by his means''
eternalblue81 wrote:
It looks like I was beaten by not refreshing comments, but I agree with beverhousen and hear "whenever my end is served by his means".
YOU. FRICKING.WIN.
That's it! Thank you both!
eternalblue81 wrote:
"the food that he likes"
Oh! Well spotted!
eternalblue81 wrote:
Thanks for the transcription, Hidders! I've been pretty obsessively listening to this song since yesterday and thought I'd search out if anyone else had transcribed the lyrics yet, and if not, do it myself.
I've listened to it on repeat since last night as well, I really love it.
eternalblue81 wrote:
Glad I wasn't the only one who was hearing cinnamon at first, lol.
Well it is L, it could have been cinnamon or something food related. Laughing
eternalblue81 wrote:
Other than that, there's some parts where I can't quite tell if they're singing "I" or "I'll". Kind of unsure if the "a" I hear before "margin of error" needs to be there. I hear it, but I wonder if it's just part of the breathy sound of it.
I've listened to it enough to have most of the I/I'll/I'd all down, I hope.
As for "a margin", the "a" is definitely there, it's more than just a breath.

We finally have the big parts of the lyrics figured out. Awesome! Thanks again guys!
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
What's this about two Lights in the show? Do they have one character playing "Kira" and one "Light"? If so, why?

Also, thanks for the lyrics!
Hidders

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
What's this about two Lights in the show? Do they have one character playing "Kira" and one "Light"? If so, why?
I'm really thinking one is Light's inner-voice since in the manga/anime there's a lot of talking to himself in his head, that'd be hard to portray by one person.
Agent355 wrote:
Also, thanks for the lyrics!
You're welcome, again. Laughing
eternalblue81

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

While searching for any other news on this musical I found a site that said it was clarified that the two actors cast as Light will perform on alternating days. I wouldn't take some fan's personal Death Note news site as 100% fact, but they seem to believe that's the case.

I'd think in that case that maybe Light's part is more vocally demanding and they want to enure that no one damages their voice. They also probably hope that people will try to see it twice so they can see both actors' takes on the role.

Hidders wrote:
I'm really thinking one is Light's inner-voice since in the manga/anime there's a lot of talking to himself in his head, that'd be hard to portray by one person.

I think one major advantage musicals have is that they can easily present what a character is thinking or feeling internally as a song, though, as I think is evident by this very song that Light and L sing.
Hidders

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious about this line at the end:
Quote:
I am winning my game while I'm saying
"I'm playing his game"
Sometimes I think I'm hearing singing instead, which makes more sense since they are singing. So? Is it just me over-listening?
I also went through it slowly to catch all the I's again, only found one and changed an until to a till.

eternalblue81 wrote:
While searching for any other news on this musical I found a site that said it was clarified that the two actors cast as Light will perform on alternating days. I wouldn't take some fan's personal Death Note news site as 100% fact, but they seem to believe that's the case.
spoiler[Hopefully they'll officially announce something about it soon. It could go either way right now.
But the idea of a someone on the other side of the stage speaking Light/KIRA's mind over Light & L talking about the case... I want it. Anime catgrin]

I'm an idiot... Yeah, it's alternating according to the promo poster. It's not alternating days, it's alternating times. Star probably means they have the other one there as backup or that it's tentative confirmation on which actor will be able to perform.
● Kenji Urai
○ Hayato Kakizawa
☆ ??? I don't know.

Here's (by ear) lyrics and a translation of the sample song sung by both Lights:
http://sinnesspiel.dreamwidth.org/52675.html

Last edited by Hidders on Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Hidders wrote:
But the idea of a someone on the other side of the stage speaking Light/KIRA's mind over Light & L talking about the case... I want it. Anime catgrin

Think it's more like Light and Kira being his inner "split personality", thus leading to more duets with each other.
Hidders

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
thus leading to more duets with each other.
Man, it would have been hella fun...
Imagine if there was an inner L as well...
I need to stop torturing myself with these thoughts.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:35 am Reply with quote
Dual-cast usually simply means that there two actors that play role on a different days. They won't appear on the stage at the same time Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2