• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Discussed Super Mario Film With Hollywood's Avi Arad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinx59

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Sony doing a movie for a Nintendo property? What the hell? Though if it's CGI I can see it working. Though no live action or live/cg hybrid.
LokiReed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Quote:
No films adapting Nintendo's franchises have been released since

Pokémon's 17 movies would like to have a word with you.

haha, sooo true Anime hyper
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Leaked emails from Sony? Say it ain't so!

Hoppy800 wrote:
Sony is getting royally exposed on all fronts, it's quite hilarious how crappy their ideas and decision making are.

I think Sony's, quote-fingers, "hacking leak" (oh yeah, anybody remember David Manning, or those paid "viral posters" on social media?) were supposed to sound cool on the rumor sites, but between this and a leaked "animated Spiderman reboot", it's sure not turning out that way.

(No, really--WHY would hackers go after neat rumor memos, and not identity or financial info?)

Uh, there's plenty of dirty laundry that has been aired out in this Sony Pictures hack. We've had allegations of racism and sexual harassment, offensive jokes against Obama, internal bickering, unauthorized releases of movies yet to hit cinemas, reasons why it sucks to work there, hilariously amateurish marketing presentations, and oh some much more. Some of that more includes leaks of social security numbers and other personal information.

I wouldn't be surprised if the North Korean hacking angle is the result of Sony trying to get publicity for The Interview, but there's no doubt in my mind that the hack itself is genuine.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Sony helping Nintendo?

Well, Sega has been making games for Nintendo for years, so it could be so.

Sega is no longer in competition with Nintendo, while Sony is.

EricJ2 wrote:

(No, really--WHY would hackers go after neat rumor memos, and not identity or financial info?)

The hackers released those too! Social security numbers, movie budgets, scripts, aliases of actors/actresses, etc:

http://www.cnet.com/news/sony-hack-said-to-leak-47000-social-security-numbers-celebrity-data/

http://fusion.net/story/33440/the-confused-bystanders-guide-to-the-sony-pictures-hack/

http://fusion.net/story/32536/even-more-sony-pictures-data-is-leaked-scripts-box-office-projections-and-brad-pitts-phone-number/

Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
D no Amerika wrote:
Just not live-action. As simple as that.
There was a lot going on with that film, but the fact that the plot of the game basically amounted to "The PresidentPrincess has been kidnapped by ninjasturtles. Are you a bad enough dudeplumber to rescue the PresidentPrincess?" certainly didn't help matters. The games have since given the characters personalities and added storylines(the first time being two years later), so that sort of trainwreck's going to be harder to pull off.
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Game Freak would like to have a word with you.
enurtsol wrote:
Sony Computer Entertainment is, not Sony Pictures, and I don't see how SP being the one to make a movie is going to hurt SCE.
My8th

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
D no Amerika wrote:
Just not live-action. As simple as that.
There was a lot going on with that film, but the fact that the plot of the game basically amounted to "The PresidentPrincess has been kidnapped by ninjasturtles. Are you a bad enough dudeplumber to rescue the PresidentPrincess?" certainly didn't help matters. The games have since given the characters personalities and added storylines(the first time being two years later), so that sort of trainwreck's going to be harder to pull off.
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Game Freak would like to have a word with you.
enurtsol wrote:
Sony Computer Entertainment is, not Sony Pictures, and I don't see how SP being the one to make a movie is going to hurt SCE.

The Pokémon Company and Creature Inc. would also want a word with you.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Quote:
No films adapting Nintendo's franchises have been released since

Maybe the article meant live-action film, not animated one. The live-action Metroid film is not going to happen anytime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Sorraffy wrote:
maybe the next one should be 3D animated ala Finding Nemo, Peabody and Sherman, Croods, etc etc

Mario is a simple 3D animated guy, keep him in his 3d animated worlds

Shouldn't that be 2D guy in 2D animated worlds?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I want an animated movie based on Super Mario RPG. Mallow, Geno, Booster, etc, would be great additions to a Mario movie.

No origin stories for the main cast. I don't want to know, nor do I care, where Mario came from, how he met Peach, etc. Just adapt Legend of the Seven Stars and don't try to reinvent the wheel. (Though I guess the game kind of did.)

Then they can get to work on a Chrono Trigger movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:22 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Yes, but it's still the same family. Kinda like if Disney helps out Marvel's rival DC Comics (yeah DC is owned by Warner Bros).

And yes, Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai (an ex-President and still current member of the board of Sony Computer Entertainment) in Japan can still be quite involved with Sony Pictures Entertainment in America, like from even more leaks:

Sony CEO ordered 'The Interview' toned down; Rogen objected

• Sony Corp Chief Executive Kazuo Hirai ordered the film “The Interview” to be toned down after Pyongyang denounced it for depicting the assassination of North Korea’s leader, according to emails apparently stolen from Sony’s Hollywood studio.

The comedy, slated for U.S. release on Dec 25, is about journalists played by Seth Rogen and James Franco who are hired by the CIA to kill North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

Pascal noted to Hirai that she had encountered resistance from the film’s creators, including Rogen, who wrote and co-directed it.

In an exchange with Rogen, Pascal said she was in a difficult position because Hirai had asked her to make changes in the film.

“And this isn’t some flunky. It’s the chairman of the entire Sony Corporation who I am dealing (with),” she said.

Rogen responded by promising to remove three of four burn marks on Kim’s face, and reduce the “flaming hair” by 50%. But he said he could not meet all the demands.

Rogen initially told Pascal he objected to requests to modify the death scene, which he said would be viewed as censorship and hurt sales.

By October, however, he delivered what he hoped was the final version.

“This is it!!! We removed the fire from the hair and the entire secondary wave of head chunks,” he said. “Please tell us this is over now.”

penguintruth wrote:

No origin stories for the main cast. I don't want to know, nor do I care, where Mario came from, how he met Peach, etc.

There's already an origin story.
That's good enough for us! Laughing
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:08 am Reply with quote
What is that chart about Angry Birds supposed to mean? It doesn't make any sense to me. Are they comparing themselves to Hello Kity, Monopoly, Family Guy, Farmville, and a bunch of other franchises? Why can't something be smart AND strange? And why can't something be cute AND action-packed? Is Monster High really stranger than Pokémon? Why are "Boring" and "Popular" so close to each other? And why are parts of the Ben 10 logo cropped off?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
What is that chart about Angry Birds supposed to mean? It doesn't make any sense to me. Are they comparing themselves to Hello Kity, Monopoly, Family Guy, Farmville, and a bunch of other franchises? Why can't something be smart AND strange? And why can't something be cute AND action-packed? Is Monster High really stranger than Pokémon? Why are "Boring" and "Popular" so close to each other? And why are parts of the Ben 10 logo cropped off?

I've had marketing surveys where you had to place on a 2D X vs. Y graph, "How does this (ad/campaign) make you feel?", with Bored vs. Inspired as the X and Happy vs. Sad as the Y, and "Curious", "Resentful", "Comforted", etc., all floating around in the intersecting middles.

Thus we can say--like the poetry class in Dead Poets Society before Robin Williams showed up--that you could place on an X&Y graph that as recognized cellphone game franchises go, The Sims were smarter than Family Guy, and Hello Kitty was cuter than Fruit Ninja.
(Well, it's got a good beat and you can dance to it...)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Ah, this was a marketing survey result. Makes more sense about why the chart makes no sense.

Also, Bored vs. Inspired and Happy vs. Sad ARE opposites and make sense as axes. I'd just be horribly confused if I got a Smart vs. Strange, Cute vs. Action-Packed chart and probably wind up asking a lot of questions.

Now I want to participate in one of these surveys and see how they respond.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Yes, but it's still the same family. Kinda like if Disney helps out Marvel's rival DC Comics (yeah DC is owned by Warner Bros).

And yes, Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai (an ex-President and still current member of the board of Sony Computer Entertainment) in Japan can still be quite involved with Sony Pictures Entertainment in America, like from even more leaks:

Sony CEO ordered 'The Interview' toned down; Rogen objected

Yeah I heard about this from Japan Today, I read something from Yonhap News not long ago:

Yonhap News wrote:
No evidence yet of N. Korea's involvement in Sony attack

WASHINGTON (Yonhap) -- No evidence has emerged yet that points to North Korea as the cultprit in a recent hacking attack on Sony Pictures Entertainment, a senior FBI official was quoted as saying on Dec. 9.

The North has been suspected of involvement in the Nov. 24 cyber-attack on Sony from the beginning because the communist nation has expressed strong anger at a comedy movie that Sony is set to release within the month.

The film, "The Interview," tells the story of two American journalists who land an interview with the North Korean leader in Pyongyang but are then recruited by the CIA to kill him.

Pyongyang has condemned the movie as the "most undisguised" sponsoring of terrorism.

The FBI has been investigating the hacking attack.

"There is no attribution to North Korea at this point," Joe Demarest, assistant director with the Federal Bureau of Investigation's cyber division, said during a cyber-security conference sponsored by Bloomberg Government, according to a Reuters report.

The official did not elaborate.

North Korea has officially denied involvement.

The country's National Defense Commission praised the cyber-attack as a "righteous deed" and the attackers as the "champion of peace."

It also said that the United States should know there are a great number of supporters and sympathizers with the North all over the world, and the "righteous reaction will get stronger to smash the evil doings."

And I can confirmed The Interview will not get a screening in South Korea according to The Korea Times and Wall Street Journal, which is kinda sad really because I think this film would've been a hit amongst South Korean moviegoers and North Korean defectors living in South Korea. I mean who wouldn't want to see a film where Kim Jong-Un get assassinated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
What I find kind of odd is that Paramount never got attacked over Team America: World Police despite Kim Jong-Il being the film's villain, mocking him relentlessly (he even sings a musical number), and him getting impaled on a German Kaiser helmet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3