• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Princess Kaguya Wins L.A. Film Critics Award

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quote
Garudyne wrote:
relyat08: I respect your opinion, but you didn't change my mind. If I wanted a story about the problematic parts of japanese society, then it should be one without fantasy elements. A sad story that focus on real life issues only works for me when its dealt with in a realistic manner, I don't need a fairy tale version of it.

That's your prerogative of course, but it doesn't mean the movie is bad because it does so. In fact, it's following in the tradition of Shakespeare, Swift, Dickens, Wilde, Peake, Marquez, Wolfe, and many of the greatest writers ever known in using fantasy to do so.

I do think you're looking at this movie with shuttered eyes. It's like saying that a Bergman movie is bad because it has no plot. You may not like it, and that's fine, but movies can have forms you don't like and still be excellent films, and even masterpieces. The same goes for minimalist art styles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2